The Gear Thread

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If it were me, though, I'd be looking at the full color spectrum version of the Q2, as it really offers more versatility in the long run. If you want to convert an image or two to B&W you can still do that.....

And... you can do that tuning BW to the taste and look you're trying to achieve. Something I regularly do, especially with photographs of people which is what I mostly photograph.

For example... knowing that human faces have a fair amount of red and orange in their color composition, in the B&W conversions from a RAW file I do in Lightroom, I often adjust the color temperature slider or the B&W mix color sliders in order to get faces looking just right. Sometimes I want them to pop (knowing that a viewer's eyes first go right to the brightest element in a print), sometimes not so much. Same thing for other elements in the frame, say a car or sign, that I would not want to catch a viewer's attention. It's so easy. I rarely have to mask elements.

Starting with an image file where the B&W conversion processing is already baked in removes that ability to easily make those adjustments.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Getting ready to chase whales up the Pacific coast this weekend. Also just added the Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber and a geared head to my lineup, particularly useful for heavier lenses and windy conditions.

Last weekend my Sony fell off the little one on the left, hit me on the head (long story but it was an awkward location to shoot from) and rolled down the hill. Both head and camera/lens got scars but we survived, I'll never use that tripod in that way again.

IMG_0866.jpeg

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to chase whales up the Pacific coast this weekend. Also just added the Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber and a geared head to my lineup, particularly useful for heavier lenses and windy conditions.

Last weekend my Sony fell of the little one on the left, hit me on the head (long story but it was an awkward location to shoot from) and rolled down the hill. Both head and camera/lens got scars but we survived, I'll never use that tripod in that way again.

View attachment 15296
The geared head is one I have as well. Ball heads are a nightmare for heavy gear.
I’m off the highest mountain in Britain tomorrow. So my modest gear selection is my D750 and my lightest lend. 50mm 1.8. Just can’t manage all the gear.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The geared head is one I have as well. Ball heads are a nightmare for heavy gear.
I’m off the highest mountain in Britain tomorrow. So my modest gear selection is my D750 and my lightest lend. 50mm 1.8. Just can’t manage all the gear.
Especially if you're hiking at all, fortunately most of my shots are taken pretty close to where I park. I'll be using the ball head for the whale shooting (if we spot any) with my 150-600 lens and it's pretty heavy but it gives me the flexibility to track and it'll be in hand the entire time so It'll be safe that way, it'll be used more like a monopod just to take on the weight.

Top Bottom
1 2