The Sane COVID Thread

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
This also suggests that Covid’s on the rise again, and perhaps more aggressive than it has been.

I think we can deal with a more aggressively infectious, less deadly strain of the virus more easily though. As time goes on, it's looking more and more like the worst we'll have to worry about are fluvid seasons knocking everyone on their asses for a limited amount of time.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think we can deal with a more aggressively infectious, less deadly strain of the virus more easily though. As time goes on, it's looking more and more like the worst we'll have to worry about are fluvid seasons knocking everyone on their asses for a limited amount of time.
You're ignoring the rising evidence that significant numbers of people with even mild COVID have persistent symptoms that may be debilitating and/or suffer long-term health consequences like cardiovascular disease. Much of this may be caused by a persistent inflammatory response. For example: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.05.09.491196v1

I can point you to many more studies if you like. In fact, I believe this will be a previously-unrecognized issue for many viral infections, including strains of influenza. We also don't know how many people with minimally symptomatic or asymptomatic COVID are at risk, since they're rarely tested.

Our government should be massively supporting research on mechanisms and therapies. I don't hold out much hope, though, since Congress can't even get its act together for the most urgent funding needs.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
This also suggests that Covid’s on the rise again, and perhaps more aggressive than it has been.

It’s definitely on the rise and has been for the past month or so, at least in my area. But the deaths thankfully single digit per day in Mass (vs 5000 cases/day)- which I think demonstrates both the vaccine is working against severe illness and that the omicron strain is incredibly contagious.

We had been lucky not to have an outbreak as most other similar programs have. Once COVID takes hold in a residential facility it burns through like a wildfire.

Amazingly I still haven’t caught COVID despite spending almost 65-70hrs a week between a hospital and a residential facility.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

It’s definitely on the rise and has been for the past month or so, at least in my area. But the deaths thankfully single digit per day in Mass (vs 5000 cases/day)- which I think demonstrates both the vaccine is working aand that the omicron strain is incredibly contagious.

We had been lucky not to have an outbreak as most other similar programs have. Once COVID takes hold in a residential facility it burns through like a wildfire.

Amazingly I still haven’t caught COVID despite spending almost 65-70hrs a week between a hospital and a residential facility.

Thankfully, all of our recent cases have been quite mild- basically at worst just the symptoms of a mild-moderate cold for a few days. Several people in fact either had no symptoms or really didn’t have prominent symptoms at all (symptoms otherwise assumed to be seasonal allergies, or intact may be allergies as it is that time)- and their infection was only detected due to religiously adhering to routine testing.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This last week I flew to Tampa from Houston and back. I’ve had the first series plus 3 boosters. Even so inside the airport and on a aircraft that holds approx 200 people packed in like sardines, I kept my mask on the entire time on the aircraft, and most of the time in the airport. There is a resurgence of COVID predicted for this winter, there are cases with people who have gotten COVID and recovered have lasting health complications, called ”Long COVID”, although the odds are reduced if you have been vaccinated. It seems like to me that wearing a mask in tight human quarters is a NO-BRAINER!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is great news, China cannot be trusted in this area.

The United States will require travelers from China, Hong Kong and Macau to show a negative COVID-19 test before entering the U.S. as restrictions lessen and cases surge in China.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced the measure Wednesday to go into effect on Jan. 5 for all passengers over the age of 2. Passengers must show a negative PCR or monitored antigen test no more than two days before their departure, whether it is a direct flight or an indirect one through another country.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2