The "Wordle" thread

Wordle 914 4/6

🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Anyone read the recent NYT analysis on ~ a billion reader wordle runs?
Apparently, the most common opening words (by readers) are those with multiple vowels (e.g., ADIEU), which makes sense since intuitively nailing a couple of vowels narrows down choices a lot.
To my surprise, the most efficient opener by far is SLATE, with only 2 vowels. Why? Is it that the consonants S,L,T happen to by among those that are often used in combination (adjacent) with other consonants, allowing the elimination of more words (at least for their robot)?

Last edited:
Wordle 914 4/6

🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Anyone read the recent NYT analysis on ~ a billion reader wordle runs?
Apparently, the most common opening words (by readers) are those with multiple vowels (e.g., ADIEU), which makes sense since intuitively nailing a couple of vowels narrows down choices a lot.
To my surprise, the most efficient opener by far is SLATE, with only 2 vowels. Why? Is it that the consonants S,L,T happen to by among those that are often used in combination (adjacent) with other consonants, allowing the elimination of more words (at least for their robot)?
Yeah I could see Slate being a good starter word, I might try it.

I use Raise almost every time.

Wordle 916 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Edd,
re: "Yeah I could see Slate being a good starter word"

Yes, but why is it that consistently better (according to their robot)?

Wordle 916 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Edd,
re: "Yeah I could see Slate being a good starter word"

Yes, but why is it that consistently better (according to their robot)?
My assumption is that β€œs” and β€œt” are among the most popular consonants, a lot of 5 letter words end in β€œe”, and it happens to include two vowels. That combination could eliminate many possibilities quick.

Back