The "Wordle" thread

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Anyone else getting strong Star Trek TNG "The Game" vibes?

iu

Actually, yes.

Fascinating.

I must admit that this very episode also crossed my mind, when reading this thread.

Well done; good catch!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
When I first tried it after seeing articles in The Washington Post about it, I thought, "OK, this is fun but not compelling...."

Then this thread appeared here.... Gee, thanks, Herdfan, you've now got me to where I'm doing it every day and actually today took the major step of bookmarking the site for quick and easy access..... LOL!!!

I rather like the idea that this is a once-a-day only deal, actually. Keeps me from obsessively spending hours playing word games!

SS: my mother, who has been gone since 2005, was a crossword fiend and enjoyed not just doing the ones in her local newspaper but also the ones in the various crossword puzzle books that were available, too. She would've loved this new challenge!

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
SS: my mother, who has been gone since 2005, was a crossword fiend and enjoyed not just doing the ones in her local newspaper but also the ones in the various crossword puzzle books that were available, too. She would've loved this new challenge!
They say that someone isn't really dead until everyone who has (keeps? cherishes? treasures?) a memory of them has themselves passed away.

To my mind, it is quite lovely - and wonderfully life-affirming - that you and I both thought of our respective mothers (and the pure and total joy they took in crosswords as each of them were clearly demons or fiends - the nouns are terrifically telling - where crosswords were concerned) when this thread & topic arose here.

And, meanwhile, I, (busily scouring online for other examples of this concept) have managed a "three" (third guess).

Addictive.

I shall have to ration myself.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
WOO!

Wordle 218 2/6

🟨⬛⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was about 50/50 on the 2nd word, but my alternative would've definitely given it to me in 3. I wish it saved the actual game screen so you could recall it, would be interesting to see the starting word and iterations (I mean, you can easily screenshot it, but that's an extra PITA ...)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Got it on the fifth guess.

Hm.

Fascinating.

This could be incredibly tempting. Not to mention downright addictive.

And - I will just put this out, for, it crossed my mind as I studied this topic - my mother would have loved it.

Before dementia took her mind and memory, she was an absolute demon at crosswords and all word games, and adored them and excelled at them.

As was mine. She always bragged she could do the crossword puzzle in the paper every day. Probably the main reason she kept getting the dead-tree edition.

Yes, addictive, but they only let you play once a day, so not a huge time suck.

Wordle 218 3/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
They say that someone isn't really dead until everyone who has (keeps? cherishes? treasures?) a memory of them has themselves passed away.

I love this.

When my mom passed last summer, we had tons of quilts to dispose of. We did our best to give them to people who knew her and would appreciate them vs. sell them to whoever. So hopefully the memory of her will last through most of this century.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Then this thread appeared here.... Gee, thanks, Herdfan, you've now got me to where I'm doing it every day and actually today took the major step of bookmarking the site for quick and easy access..... LOL!!!

I rather like the idea that this is a once-a-day only deal, actually. Keeps me from obsessively spending hours playing word games!

Hey, just doing my best to continually annoy people on this site. ;) :ROFLMAO:

I used to play Words with Friends. It was fine at first, but then the cheating sites appeared it you were no longer playing against Friends, but a computer. Gave it up soon after that.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Wordle 218 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took the opportunity to confirm that any valid word will do in this version, no need to include known letters.

Happy with the result given the initial guesses 😂
If you turn on “hard mode,” you have to include known letters. I play on easy mode.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Took the opportunity to confirm that any valid word will do in this version, no need to include known letters.

I kind of assumed, but it's nice for a clarification. Instead of using confirmed letters you could do a whole new set to eliminate certain combinations, etc.

D

Deleted member 215

This is the second time I guessed this particular word first and once again I got it in 3. It seems to be the best thing to guess first when the word is a little trickier. Interesting. :unsure:

Wordle 219 3/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Top Bottom
1 2