Think I just worked it out...

U

User.191

...why this place feels so refreshingly honest.

All the folk here seem to be grown adults who refuse, point blank, to take themselves seriously.

Yet there's folk over on the other place who are so straight that you could measure them with nanometer accuracy and so uptight that if you shoved a lump of coal between their buttocks, you'd get a diamond the next day.

It's not the language or anything else, it's the freedom to accept that adults are adults and, whilst we have moments where we need to be adults in dealing with real-life things, we're also goofballs that enjoy letting our inner-kids hang out.

Thanks @Eric for letting the kids run the asylum!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

All the folk here seem to be grown adults who refuse, point blank, to take themselves seriously.

Yet there's folk over on the other place who are so straight that you could measure them with nanometer accuracy and so uptight that if you shoved a lump of coal between their buttocks, you'd get a diamond the next day.

It's not the language or anything else, it's the freedom to accept that adults are adults and, whilst we have moments where we need to be adults in dealing with real-life things, we're also goofballs that enjoy letting our inner-kids hang out.

I think you nailed it. And part of it is that we all have a sense of humor and are not afraid to show it.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

Absolutely nailed it. :love:

D

Deleted member 199

^ This. A lot of posts here go off topic or get derailed but nobody really cares, as long as we're having a good time we don't need a bunch of structure that way.
This is really the mo...

HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!
tenor.gif

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It’s also different because, as someone pointed out recently, we are a bit of an echo chamber. I wouldn’t mind seeing some differing opinions as long as we’re all respectful. (What I dread is the day that people start coming in just to be jackasses.)

But yes, not taking yourself too damn seriously is the sign of a healthy mind.

I’ve often told my wife, as we watch our grandkids grow up, that there are two distinct signs that they’re going to be great adults. One is that they’re kind to animals. The other is that they have a great sense of humor. A child lacking either one of those characteristics is one that I’d bet grows up to be a rotten human being.

I really do notice how much lighter the atmosphere is here than at MR. I know I refuse to take myself seriously. Lord knows nobody else does. 😁

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
It’s also different because, as someone pointed out recently, we are a bit of an echo chamber. I wouldn’t mind seeing some differing opinions as long as we’re all respectful. (What I dread is the day that people start coming in just to be jackasses.)

But yes, not taking yourself too damn seriously is the sign of a healthy mind.

I’ve often told my wife, as we watch our grandkids grow up, that there are two distinct signs that they’re going to be great human beings. One is that they’re kind to animals. The other is that they have a great sense of humor. A child lacking either one of those characteristics is one that I’d bet grows up to be someone you can’t trust.
Yes, please be kind to animals! :greenthumb:

Would love me some differing opinions debating in a civil manner. You know, respectfully addressing the contents of posts, backing claims with references, stuff like that, not the fake ”let’s ban bad words“ kind. Maybe I’ll get really bored one day and debate something from the ”obviously wrong” side just to have a nice discussion about it. Who knows?

D

Deleted member 199

My favorite is getting a warning when you post a meme "without adding text", then looking through that same thread and seeing a bunch of other people getting away with it.
“The moderators are practically always right.... even when applying the rules inconsistently... which happens enough that we mention it in our own rules... but remember, practically always right!”