TikTok could be banned in U.S. with upcoming bill to prohibit foreign tech

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I for the life of me don't understand why a US based company can't duplicate the tech.

Offer everyone coming from TikTok their old user names and just let TT die.

I don’t get all the apps that repeat functionality. At least not in the USA. I’m surprised TikTok took off because, similar to your response - I thought “I see tons of videos on my Facebook and Twitter feeds.”

I guess it’s good each app isn’t a one-stop shop for everything, but I don’t get the appeal.

To the topic at hand, though, I truly don’t care. It seems bipartisan, mostly, but it seems to be a smaller issue to a much bigger problem.

States have had a lot of success at implementing their own protections - and suing companies who violate them. The federal government has similar protections, but they seem to be a day late and a dollar short on comprehensive legislation governing the web, privacy, etc. Banning TikTok may alleviate fears that “the Chinese are spying on us with this app”, but that’s not even the main issue here, if that is even happening at all. The issue is any company spying on people or amassing detailed online profiles of individuals, and giving them a pass because they have some convoluted legal jargon you agree to.

I don’t use TikTok, but the arguments for banning it seem a little thin, especially in absence of any evidence of wrongdoing and the fact other companies - including those in the USA - aren’t being equally as scrutinized. Even Twitter and Facebook seem more like political targets facing scrutiny in their ability to change the minds of voters than the real issues those apps present.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Looks like this has a new set of legs with bipartisan support.

Biden says he’d sign bill that could ban TikTok if Congress passes it​

Biden’s words may provide a push for a bill that has gathered momentum quickly in Congress but still faces hurdles to passage. On Thursday, a House committee advanced the bill on a unanimous bipartisan vote, 50-0, after TikTok users flooded congressional offices with calls protesting the measure.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
its pointless til Tok is not worse than any other such company the only thing thats an issue is its not an American company so its competition.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm glad to say it has finally worked out for me, instead of the default girls dancing I now see nothing but practical jokes, funny farts and goofy animal videos. I can seriously just scroll through all day long like a zombie.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'm glad to say it has finally worked out for me, instead of the default girls dancing I now see nothing but practical jokes, funny farts and goofy animal videos. I can seriously just scroll through all day long like a zombie.

Gilstrap is a freaking riot. So is Tom Mabe.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like this is going to breeze through, will be interesting to see the outcome.

The offspring is freaking out about this. I reminded her that she felt the same way when Vine went away and sure enough it was replaced and is now an afterthought.

I do have to say as a parent of a teen at the time, I really appreciated the 6 second limit. :)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don’t understand how they can possibly enforce it.

Block the server traffic I guess.
Right, I'm sure this is how it would be handled. They would also remove it from all app stores, while users who still have it may be able to use proxies I'm sure they'll be the exception. Overall they can successfully kill it.

Personally, I'm on the fence because I like using it now (finally) but get why they're doing it. When it comes to espionage and spying the CCP is all up in everyone's business and will use any means at their disposal to obtain data on us, IMO that cannot be trusted in this area.

Top Bottom
1 2