Trump signs executive order enabling him to fire Dr. Fauci

U

User.45

"The alternative is he gets replaced with a yes man ... " Okay. In light of an administration that admits it has no interest in controlling the pandemic, what difference does it make if he is replaced by a yes man, especially one week from the election?

Exactly. Fauci's imprimatur is what helps to give that farce credibility. And for that endorsement, he has been ignored, endured an incredible amount of disrespect, and seen his own colleagues try to end run around him, all for a failed effort that was never intended to succeed.

That would really piss me off if I were him. How long would any of us work for a boss who ignored our advice, outright thwarted our efforts, and disrespected us in the process ... while nearly a quarter of a million Americans die?

That is not speaking truth to power. That is rolling over like a dog, letting people kick you, and saying, "thank you sir, can I have another?"
We talked about this privately and I believe this is why you abandoned this forum. Fauci became an institutional chief because he understands politics, avoids appearing partizan and waits out idiots. You expect someone to throw away half a century of a career to perform an act that would make no difference. He's been dancing on that thin line for a while, and he's waiting out Trump's departure.

I suspect that Trump will fire him in retaliation and then the NIH will push back and Biden would rehire them all.

Personally (and professionally) my temperament would have made me clash with Trump months ago...yet again, there's a reason guys like me never become institutional chiefs.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Any information he wants to give out can be given out without him being on the task force. Fauci could go on any outlet he wanted and spread information all day long. He would be the most sought after voice In media.
He actually is, not just the most sought after but also the most trusted and his ability to stay above Trump's attacks and misinformation is arguably the reason why.

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score
You were definitely missed from our ranks, so here's my recommendation. Let's ice the Fauci topic for a month, and get back to it then. I suspect the situation will have changed remarkably and we'll have a lot more to talk about in substance.
Appreciate the kinds words. I'll think about it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You're right about that. This thread isn't helping.

Fauci is 79 years old. He's not throwing away his career. Please.
Dr Fauci is under attack, apparently from all sides and IMO absolutely none of it is justified. This thread is just another example of it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
NPR interviewed a career civil servant of 40 years who resigned upon learning of Trump’s executive order. He spoke about its frightening implications. The link will be updated soon with audio but I think they hold it a few hours until the live show is over.

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score
Dr Fauci is under attack, apparently from all sides and IMO absolutely none of it is justified. This thread is just another example of it.
He works for a task force that’s ignored and subverted by his boss, leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of citizens. Those are EXACTLY the circumstances under which (I would hope) one would stand up and say, “I will not be ignored, my efforts will not be subverted, and I will not comply while hundreds of thousands of people die.”

And finally ... FINALLY ... days before the election that could give Trump four more years to exert his anti-scientific, negligent, deadly form of leadership ... Fauci is finding the courage to speak out about this travesty.

It’s about fucking time. Welcome to the party, pal.

U

User.45

He works for a task force that’s ignored and subverted by his boss, leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of citizens. Those are EXACTLY the circumstances under which (I would hope) one would stand up and say, “I will not be ignored, my efforts will not be subverted, and I will not comply while hundreds of thousands of people die.”

And finally ... FINALLY ... days before the election that could give Trump four more years to exert his anti-scientific, negligent, deadly form of leadership ... Fauci is finding the courage to speak out about this travesty.

It’s about fucking time. Welcome to the party, pal.
Did you watch the documentary, Totally Under Control?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Career public servants should not resign because of a bad president. They should do exactly what Fauci did - get the actual facts out there as much as possible within the powers of their office. If one looks at the public statements and interviews of Dr. Fauci over the last 6 months, it's inaccurate to state he didn't "speak out" until now. I've seen interviews months ago where he shredded the response of Trump's administration... but he tried to mince his words to say he is trying to work with the administration.

His most recent statement indicates to me that the recent executive order to allow firing of career officials might be targeting him. If he got wind of that, I can see him raking the administration over the coals directly.

U

User.45

Career public servants should not resign because of a bad president. They should do exactly what Fauci did - get the actual facts out there as much as possible within the powers of their office. If one looks at the public statements and interviews of Dr. Fauci over the last 6 months, it's inaccurate to state he didn't "speak out" until now. I've seen interviews months ago where he shredded the response of Trump's administration... but he tried to mince his words to say he is trying to work with the administration.

His most recent statement indicates to me that the recent executive order to allow firing of career officials might be targeting him. If he got wind of that, I can see him raking the administration over the coals directly.
I'm still in the process of verifying some of the statements of Totally Under Control as there were things I disagreed with (e.g. Redfield was has much more complexity to him, and he's still a scientist with a very respectable publication record..not just some rando off the Fox News, like the ones Trump adores). But one thing is clear. When did you guys last hear from Dr Messonnier? Excactly.

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score

And I’ve quoted in this thread the July 29 Wired interview where Fauci flat out refused to say anything negative about Trump. If you could actually cite one of the interviews you’re claiming he did, it would be appreciated.

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score
I'm still in the process of verifying some of the statements of Totally Under Control as there were things I disagreed with (e.g. Redfield was has much more complexity to him, and he's still a scientist with a very respectable publication record..not just some rando off the Fox News, like the ones Trump adores). But one thing is clear. When did you guys last hear from Dr Messonnier? Excactly.
A quick google shows Dr. Messonnier is working at the CDC.

U

User.45

A quick google shows Dr. Messonnier is working at the CDC.
You having to google her proves the point.

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score
You having to google her proves the point.
I guess I don’t get that point. There aren’t many people in the world that I can find without searching.

U

User.45

I guess I don’t get that point. There aren’t many people in the world that I can find without searching.
She had an integral part on the COVID response efforts early on, she rang the alarms on COVID invoking Trump's fury. She even partook in the press conferences briefly until her disappearance from the public's sight. You wouldn't have to google her if she weren't told to STFU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom
1 2