What’s your current mood?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
One term my kids taught me when they were teenagers was "wigger". I won't explain it in full, but I think you can figure out that it's a condensation of "white _______".

I remember being both amused and appalled. Appalled because of its racist origin, amused because it seemed pretty accurate--white kids trying to be black. 😁

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
One term my kids taught me when they were teenagers was "wigger". I won't explain it in full, but I think you can figure out that it's a condensation of "white _______".

I remember being both amused and appalled. Appalled because of its racist origin, amused because it seemed pretty accurate--white kids trying to be black. 😁

never heard it, but it’s incredibly amusing how new words pop up

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

It's amazing thinking of the random things we used to say and do back then that absolutely would not fly in this day and age.

For example, I recently got on this 80's movie kick here about a year ago. Some of the things they say and do in, say, The Breakfast Club, would send your average Gen Z kid into an apoplectic fit. It's strange, experiencing all these old cultural norms that don't really bother me at all personally, but also being distinctly aware of how they could bother others now.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I still say “groovy,” and I very much overuse the word “dude.” I find that “dude” is almost as good as “fuck” for having multiple uses. Both can be nouns or interjections. “Fuck,” of course, is still the world’s most versatile word which can be a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, and interjection. Pretty impressive really.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It's amazing thinking of the random things we used to say and do back then that absolutely would not fly in this day and age.

For example, I recently got on this 80's movie kick here about a year ago. Some of the things they say and do in, say, The Breakfast Club, would send your average Gen Z kid into an apoplectic fit. It's strange, experiencing all these old cultural norms that don't really bother me at all personally, but also being distinctly aware of how they could bother others now.

I suspect that they wouldn't have bothered you then, possibly because you wouldn't have been the target, or recipient of such attitudes & and expressions; white middle class males weren't the target.

However, I think others did dislike them - even at the time - but felt either that this was a battle that they couldn't fight/win, (not without considerable cost), or that they would have learn to live with it, and grin & bear it with gritted teeth.

Recently, I read a interview (pretty sure it was in the Guardian) with the actor who played the girl who was under detention, in which she said that - while she was too young to have understood it at the time - she was treated in an extraordinarily sexually exploitative way during the making of the movie.

(Which, by the way, I - ardent leftie feminist social democrat that I am - thought a good movie with a superb soundtrack in the 80s).

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Current mood is... pride.
Kid is now officially enlisted in the US Marine Cops. He’s expected to leave for boot camp in 3 months, but he might also leave with almost zero notice.
Congratulations; I can well imagine your pride.

What are his chances of receiving a commission?

Just had a chat of an hour & a half with my brother.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The Dude Abides

anFNNzd.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Kid is now officially enlisted in the US Marine Cops. He’s expected to leave for boot camp in 3 months, but he might also leave with almost zero notice.

That's fantastic! Some of my favorite people were jarheads. It will provide him an exciting life, and great exposure to so many wonderful experiences. I'd be proud too.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

I am happy for you and know he'll make lifetime friends out that of that experience.

One of the most memorable parties I ever threw was one for the return from Marine boot camp of a younger brother of a college roommate when I'd been out of school for a couple years.

I remember we tried to curry favor in advance with an elderly downstairs neighbor by inviting her up to partake of some of the food we had cooked, before the party actually got going... and some of the good wine... which she did, and she was appreciative and of course wished the guest of honor well.

But later on, like when guys were hanging off the fire escape at a few levels and singing the Star Spangled Banner and some other less restrained anthems, she knocked on the door a few times and was reassured we'd tone it down some but she did finally call the cops.

So when they showed up, of course we invited them in for a few brews and some pasta, so they took their hats off which back in the day was like going off duty, right... and they had a few and then reported to the old lady downstairs that they were going back to the station house "for backup" and that everything would be taken care of.

Heh. Right, so it was truly grand when half the patrol force stopped in later with a couple more cases of Ballantine Ale and some pizzas as well. The party went on until around 4am. Next day I was kinda wondering what the old lady would have to say, but she was actually half-apologetic and said something like "My dear, it was a bit noisy and so I did finally complain but didn't think they would send so many officers up there to bother you." If I'd known that was going to be her reaction I would have invited her back up to party on with us all.

Top Bottom
1 2