What are you doing today?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This morning I started to brine my Turkey, and later today I am making spiced pecan pumpkin bread.

Love Bob's Burgers, and they kill it with their Thanksgiving EPs, but specifically, Father of the Brine is just fantastic.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I had to run a Google search to find out what a Kringle is..... The answer is there if one just looks! :)

Finally getting around to doing the WatchOS 7.1 update on my Series 3 Apple Watch. I had delayed doing it when after Watch OS 7.0 people were posting about their Series 3 doing repeated spontaneous reboots. I waited through the first "fix," which apparently didn't help, waited through the second "fix," which also apparently didn't resolve the issue either. It seems that now with the release of 7.1 the problem has been well and truly addressed and resolved. I hope so! Not unexpectedly, this process is taking forever. If this update bricks my watch I will be livid. Of course it would give me a reason to buy a new one but I really don't want to do that just now, I'd rather wait until Series 7 comes along next Autumn.

No big preparations for Thanksgiving here; just another day as far as I'm concerned, since this is not the year for getting together with friends for a big festive meal. One friend in particular with whom I've often gotten together in the past and I have agreed that since we are both in a high-risk category, even though we'd like to see one another and catch up with each other's news -- she hasn't seen my new car yet, either! -- this just isn't a good idea right now with the virus still running rampant around our area. The same will apply at Christmastime. Oh, well, there'll be another holiday season in 2021....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, so this is a Kringle ...

1606319242512.png

It's a Danish desert, one of the more well known baker/distributors is the O&H Danish Bakery, out of Racine, Wisconsin. We discovered this from JB's uncle (Dad's side), he never really talks to any of her family, but years and years ago, he sent us a Christmas gift! It was glorious Wisconsin cheese, but even more interesting, he's a biologist, and the university where he worked makes cheese, something about using the cultures in the bio department, but they make extra to sell to support research and whatnot.

Then about 3-4 years ago, the box of cheese didn't show up, it was a large, flat box, like a pizza, and inside was a Kringle from O&H! So we got on their mailing list and started getting them ourselves, for us, friends, they've been a huge hit.

You probably don't have a sense of scale, but that's big, like large pizza size. And they make dozens of different styles, different fillings, different toppings, plus they make all kinds of other amazing pastries, pies, coffee cake, etc.

For tomorrow we have coming (today hopefully!) an Apple Cinnamon Kringle Pie o_O

The best part, is I lie to myself and pretend all their products are super low in calories ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Finally getting around to doing the WatchOS 7.1 update on my Series 3 Apple Watch.

I am having an insanely fun time with my new-to-me Series 5. I upgraded from a Series 0, yep, an original pre-order of the initial product! It still had great battery life, works for some health things, and was in a solid 8.5/10 condition, but oh so slow, and a few OS versions behind (not supported), and missing several health functions.

The new device is just fantastic, I mean, I fiddled around with the wife's Series 4 I got her a year or so ago, was incredibly impressed, but hadn't really used it. These newer versions really show what this type of device can do.

When I hit the grocery the other day, I did everything from my watch. Messaged with the wife, had my shopping list (with real time updates from home), paid with it, and even started my car with it :cool:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I am looking forward to all the new features, as I know the Series 3 is lacking in quite a few of them. I, too, had the Series 0, loved it to death, and bought my Series 3 when the Series 0 was getting a little tired. It is now living a peaceful retirement in a drawer.... Eventually it'll be joined by the Series 3 when the time comes. I am still using the original SS black link bracelet that I got at the time I bought the Series 0 and hope that I'll be able to use it on a Series 7 as well. I do like using the watch with Apple Pay -- so convenient and especially in this COVID-19 era, where touchless technology has really taken on new significance and importance.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I did everything from my watch

When the Apple watch will manage a cheerful, preferably decorative bot to walk my trash and recycle boxes to the roadside, I might cave in and at least window-shop the device.

So far the grouchy bot in forgettable work clothes that handles all that is still yours truly. I tell myself it means I can skip an afternoon workout on Wednesdays. Now see if I had an Apple watch, I'd probably have more trouble getting that excuse to fly and I'd be sending Apple feedback about installing an option to "work out every day except ______".

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
When the Apple watch will manage a cheerful, preferably decorative bot to walk my trash and recycle boxes to the roadside, I might cave in and at least window-shop the device.

Hahaha, when I'm at the grocery, I am, more or less, in full bot mode :D Watch goes: Tap Tap, message pops up, "Grab an extra cheese for snacks tomorrow, on the list", check list, yep, so off I go, it's like a husband remote control :D

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the local shop to purchase my organic milk (and organic double cream).

Had to insist (to myself) that crisps ("chips" to Our Transatlantic Cousins) were not to try to sneak their way into my shopping bag today. Yes, resistance is useless, but.......one can resist until tomorrow's shopping trip. Perhaps.

Instead, butter, oranges, German sliced pickles, and coconut milk were added to my basket, where they joined the organic milk and cream.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

So far the grouchy bot in forgettable work clothes that handles all that is still yours truly. I tell myself it means I can skip an afternoon workout on Wednesdays. Now see if I had an Apple watch, I'd probably have more trouble getting that excuse to fly and I'd be sending Apple feedback about installing an option to "work out every day except ______".

I know that some are deeply attached to their Apple Watches, but, they are not for me.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I don't wear my Apple Watch every day, since I am home so much now, but I do like to have it on my wrist when going out, in order to get emails that might come in without having to get my iPhone out of my purse, to know what time it is, and for using Apple Pay, etc. I don't do the exercise stuff although if I'm somewhere where it's feasible (i.e., not driving the car) and I get the reminder to "Stand," I sometimes will do that!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Decided we need to make a grocery run. We need SNACKS! The pies are glorious, but we need ice cream to go with them. And between them. And then chips (crisps to our transatlantic friends).

I fully understand, empathise with, and even sympathise with, a grocery run to stock up on SNACKS.

Crisps/chips are an absolute necessity for coping with these pandemic and politically troubled times.

While I refrained (restrained myself) from purchasing any today.......I didn't mention that I am already reasonably well stocked.

However, one can always augment such stock tomorrow.....

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Somehow last week I neglected to run the vacuum cleaner and realized today that it might be a really good idea, so have now done that, and have also taken out the trash. Shopping for the holiday weekend was done earlier last week and then again yesterday, so I'm well equipped with a few nice things to eat, including my favorite brand of Hummus, along with some Naan (I prefer naan to pita with Hummus, for some reason). Thanksgiving dinner will be shrimp --- mmmmmm!!!

It looks as though some of my neighbors have already taken off for visiting family or friends elsewhere, as the parking lot is pretty empty, more than it usually is even on a weekday. Everywhere: on television, in the newspapers, they are trying to tell people, please just stay home this Thanksgiving, don't go to a family gathering and come home with the virus, and yet, yep, the skies are filled with travelers and the highways as well..... So, so foolish.

Top Bottom
1 2