What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well said.

What a blessed relief, to have someone who is actually human, decent, empathetic, experienced, in that office.

Bedlinen chnaged, a wash put on (and emptied), organic milk collected, (as part of a small local shop - as I purchased butter, oranges, chicken stock, and sparkling water, as well).

Tomorrow, I shall buy some beer, but tonight, as I did not feel like cooking, I have ordered a calzone.
Enjoy your calzone. Washing up done here. Still have 800 steps left to hit my 10,000 daily target.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Enjoy your calzone. Washing up done here. Still have 800 steps left to hit my 10,000 daily target.

Thank you.

Very tasty and very welcome.

I realised today that I had litle by way of fresh vegetables, and nothing by way of tomatoes or cucumber - and the farmers' market will take a further week and a half before the good stalls begin to return, - so, I ordered a small tomato, onion and rocket salad, as well.

An olive oil dressing was supposed to come with it, but no worries, because, as it happens, I am never short of olive oil.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
wife is out of surgery and eating chocolate. doctor said it went well but it will be 2 weeks before her sight is back to where its was. its pretty cool she got crispr used on her. we went through weeks of 8 hour days of testing her vision and stuff before she could get this done. we went through a lot in the hope this will help others out.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A chat with my brother for the best part of an hour, an hour, where we kept interrupting each other to describe the bits we have liked most, enjoyed best, of the inaugural over the past two days.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I missed yesterday almost completely, including most of the inauguration. I got part 2 of the Shingles vaccine on Tuesday, and boy did I have a reaction. Woke up with chills at 2 a.m., and by the time morning came around I was dizzy and puking. I’m finally feeling better now.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I missed yesterday almost completely, including most of the inauguration. I got part 2 of the Shingles vaccine on Tuesday, and boy did I have a reaction. Woke up with chills at 2 a.m., and by the time morning came around I was dizzy and puking. I’m finally feeling better now.
ya it sucked for me too.never got dizzy but really tired and my arm was really sore.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A chat with my brother for the best part of an hour, an hour, where we kept interrupting each other to describe the bits we have liked most, enjoyed best, of the inaugural over the past two days.
And, actually, we even had a second chat, there was so much to discuss.

And we agreed that it reallly weirdly relaxing, and an enormous relief, - as in you don't go to bed, stomach in knots, wondering whether that malevolent narcissist would have blown up the world in a fit of pure malicious spite by the time you woke up - any longer, there are adults in the room, and your disagreemnets with them are merely a matter of political perspective.

I've had shingles, - it is nasty, enervating and exhausting, I was on sick leave with it for six weeks, (having hardly missed a day over the previous twenty years) - so can well understand, sympathise with and empathise with you over a negative reaction to the vaccine.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I'm happy to say that I got my COVID-19 Moderna vaccine jab today and so far, so good -- no ill effects, although it is possible that eventually I may start feeling some discomfort in the area of the injection site. Right now, everything's fine though. The jab itself didn't seem as painful as the flu vaccine shot, interestingly enough. I'll go back in four weeks to get the second dose, and from what I've heard so far from those who have already had it, that one can pack more of a punch than the initial dose. I'll cross that bridge when it comes next month!

Ouch, Alli, sorry to hear that the Shingles vaccine has laid you low temporarily! I hadn't realized that it is another vaccine which requires two doses. I hope you'll continue to be feeling much better and will be back to normal tomorrow or the next day!!!

A few weeks ago on another site where I hang out we were discussing the vaccine situation and someone bought up the Shingles vaccine. I mentioned that I haven't had it (yet) and some smartass guy who thinks he knows it all blithely assured me that I could have have both the COVID-19 vaccine and the Shingles vaccine administered at the same time. One in each arm!! Ehhhh.....and he wasn't joking. Just get it all over with at once! Uh.... Nuh-uh, no way, buddy! I politely told him that I prefer to do one thing at a time, especially when it comes to vaccinations, and that I would take medical advice from a qualified medical practitioner with regard to the timing of vaccines in my future. I also stated that I''d just as soon get the COVID-19 thing taken care of first, as it really is the more urgent situation right now, and then I'll worry about getting the Shingles vaccine, as I am aware that it is a good idea to eventually have that as well. My brother-in-law had Shingles a few years ago and was miserable. it's nobody's idea of a fun picnic, so a disease best avoided. My forum mate harrumphed and snorted at my rejection of his "advice."

Well, as it turned out, of course I was absolutely correct to be cautious, as one of the first things they ask when you're registering or actually there for a COVID-19 vaccination is, "have you had any other vaccinations within the past fourteen days?" His (not so) delightful little imaginary scenario of having a vaccine injected into each arm on the same day just isn't feasible, just isn't happening.......

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
ya it sucked for me too.never got dizzy but really tired and my arm was really sore.
My husband wasn’t able to get his jab the same day I did, and after watching what I went through waited an extra day. He got his second dose yesterday, and is now in bed with chills.
I've had shingles, - it is nasty, enervating and exhausting, I was on sick leave with it for six weeks, (having hardly missed a day over the previous twenty years) - so can well understand, sympathise with and empathise with you over a negative reaction to the vaccine.
One of my dearest friends had it about ten years ago. He was in agony. I would gladly be sick for two days to avoid going through that.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
My husband wasn’t able to get his jab the same day I did, and after watching what I went through waited an extra day. He got his second dose yesterday, and is now in bed with chills.

One of my dearest friends had it about ten years ago. He was in agony. I would gladly be sick for two days to avoid going through that.

And, then, there was the exhaustion; and not just the pain, but the insane and intense itch.

Actually, I recall my utter exhaustion - and complete loss of appetite - when I had it.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Writing some code, might do a quick strength workout (the wife did a yoga workout on the next deck extension yesterday, said it was amazing).

But mostly ... waiting on our new TV to be delivered! Hahaha, wow, I feel like I'm pretty dialed into tech, I work in the field, I've had engagements in things like AR/VR, computer vision, ML in the clinical analytics space, but I've been a total slacker/tech holdback with updating the main TV.

I think our inaugural watch (other than some quick dialing in) will be Soul (Pixar) in glorious 4K (er, and HDR-whatever) :cool:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Have been trying to decide what to do with a proof block I made quite awhile back after meeting a friend's request to derive a pattern and resize it, from what her mother had on the front of a 12" couch cushion and my friend wanted to make it in a 16" size instead.

At least she wasn't asking me to take it from 16" to 7". Once in awhile I just say "uh, no" or suggest a way to arrive at a desired finished block size without having to gauge the cutting and seaming in 16ths of an inch (or worse, approximating stuff like .286 of an inch). Anyway unless something is a very basic pattern I always cut and sew up a block after calculating the cutting directions, to ensure I didn't space out the arithmetic in resizing of one of the block components.

So I end up with all these one-of-a-kind or "orphan" blocks waiting to become part of something besides a box of UnFinishedObjects. Some I just toss after awhile or mop the stairwell with them a few times, especially if I used fabrics from a box of "uglies" aka "what was I ever thinking when I bought this material?"

But some I take a little more care choosing the fabric for a proof block, especially if it takes half an hour just to cut and sew the thing. This one was fun (well... making one was ok) and it happened to be winter when I was asked about it, so for the proof block I used sunny orange and gold scraps of some batiks. I still like the combo... so now going to rummage around for some backing and binding fabrics and turn this orphan block into a hotmat for the kitchen, then just leave it on the table there during these mid-winter days. "Fake Sunshine" !!

sunshine in winter.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Have been trying to decide what to do with a proof block I made quite awhile back after meeting a friend's request to derive a pattern and resize it, from what her mother had on the front of a 12" couch cushion and my friend wanted to make it in a 16" size instead.

At least she wasn't asking me to take it from 16" to 7". Once in awhile I just say "uh, no" or suggest a way to arrive at a desired finished block size without having to gauge the cutting and seaming in 16ths of an inch (or worse, approximating stuff like .286 of an inch). Anyway unless something is a very basic pattern I always cut and sew up a block after calculating the cutting directions, to ensure I didn't space out the arithmetic in resizing of one of the block components.

So I end up with all these one-of-a-kind or "orphan" blocks waiting to become part of something besides a box of UnFinishedObjects. Some I just toss after awhile or mop the stairwell with them a few times, especially if I used fabrics from a box of "uglies" aka "what was I ever thinking when I bought this material?"

But some I take a little more care choosing the fabric for a proof block, especially if it takes half an hour just to cut and sew the thing. This one was fun (well... making one was ok) and it happened to be winter when I was asked about it, so for the proof block I used sunny orange and gold scraps of some batiks. I still like the combo... so now going to rummage around for some backing and binding fabrics and turn this orphan block into a hotmat for the kitchen, then just leave it on the table there during these mid-winter days. "Fake Sunshine" !!

View attachment 2988

That is simply gorgeous; I absolutely adore those colours, yellows, burnt orange, apricot, terracotta, peach......a hit of pure transformative and healing sunshine in deepest, darkest, dreariest, most dismal winter.

Absolutely beautiful.

My mother would have adored it also, as she just loved that particular palette of colours as well.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Watching ice hockey on TV. Still not used to the sound of empty arenas, but, on the flip side, “my” team is actually performing well this season after years of misery.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Not surprisingly, my upper left arm is a bit uncomfortable today, around the area of the injection site. I don't feel the need to take anything, though, as it's not all that bad. Already thinking ahead to the side effects I've read and heard about with the second dose of the two COVID-19 vaccines. I'll be prepared to chill out for a day or two, as others have mentioned. Sounds similar to the second injection of the Shingles vaccine, actually.....

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Watching ice hockey on TV. Still not used to the sound of empty arenas, but, on the flip side, “my” team is actually performing well this season after years of misery.
What’s your team? I’m watching the Buffalo Sabres right now... 9 years without a playoff appearance, they are somewhat painful to watch, but they’re my hometown team...

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What’s your team? I’m watching the Buffalo Sabres right now... 9 years without a playoff appearance, they are somewhat painful to watch, but they’re my hometown team...
Was just going to ask that. I went to college in Ohio. Big hockey school. (We had 3 guys on the Miracle on Ice Olympic team!) But since living in the south I’ve fallen away from hockey.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Södertälje SK in Sweden.

If you consider 9 years without a playoff appearance sad, don’t follow the link, absolutely don’t scroll down to “Team history and standings“ and whatever you do, don’t check out the Postseason column there. :D

Still not all sad. The fans are great, passionate and stubborn. Relegation sucks. Promotion is awesome. And we’ve had players such as Anze Kopitar and David Pastrnak before they crossed the Atlantic. We will be back. And there will be more great players to enjoy before they get snatched by NHL teams.

Today was a shootout win after two goals by Hugo Gustafsson. Poor goalie.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1352698931826847746/

Top Bottom
1 2