Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Main Camera
Sony
Instagram
I'll start.

That winning smile!

svfl8hiyib5d1.jpeg

I wanted to post this xkcd, but I think it may be a bit too explicit even for a spoiler. Hilarious, though. It came up because of a recent restaurant incident that involved a pitcher of magarita and funnel, to which I will not link.

Stilton Cheese

For cheese to use the name "Stilton", it must be made in one of the three counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire and use pasteurised local milk. Manufacturers of Stilton in these counties received protection under European Law as a protected designation of origin (PDO) in 1996. The cheese remains protected by its PDO even after Brexit, under EU law (in the EU and Northern Ireland) and under UK law (England, Scotland and Wales).

Stilton cheese cannot be made in Stilton village, which gave the cheese its name, because it is not in any of the three permitted counties, but in the administrative county of Cambridgeshire and the historic county of Huntingdonshire. The Original Cheese Company applied to Defra to amend the Stilton PDO to include the village, but the application was rejected in 2013.

Interesting. I love Stilton but did not know that.

So I guess it is similar to Champagne (France) vs Sparkling Wine (CA and everywhere else) and how lore demands that Bourbon only be made in KY (actually not true). And Bourbon County, KY where Bourbon was first produced by Elijah Craig no longer has any operating distilleries.

Back