Wonder Woman 1984 being released at theaters and HBO Max on same day

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a new one, aside from maybe movies on Netflix produced by Netflix. Maybe Disney+? At best it's usually same day theater release and $20 rental on VOD. This is an unaffiliated streaming service getting a major release on the same day. Wonder what HBO ponied up for that.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
HBO is owned by the same company making DC films. It’s like Disney + releasing Mulan, except they charged extra. Nice surprise as an HBO subscriber.

Disney/Marvel is in a much stronger position with MCU films so I don’t see them giving Black Widow to the Disney + subscribers without charging extra.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
HBO is owned by the same company making DC films. It’s like Disney + releasing Mulan, except they charged extra. Nice surprise as an HBO subscriber.

Disney/Marvel is in a much stronger position with MCU films so I don’t see them giving Black Widow to the Disney + subscribers without charging extra.
Interesting. I didn't know about the first part, but as you mentioned Disney+ still has an extra pay feature. HBO (for now) doesn't. I believe Disney+ even goes to the extent of blocking big new releases from trial period subscribers cause, you know, Disney is really hurting for money. Disney+ is one of the few streaming services I cancelled because I didn't see them offering anything I want to see anytime soon. I don't have kids and am on Marvel burnout, highly formuliac and I couldn't tell you what happened in which movie.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
On that same note, Zack Snyder’s re-edited Justice League film, which Warner is paying $30 million extra to redo, is coming straight to HBO in 2021.

This is a super-fanboy project. That may be the moment HBO charges regular subscribers extra. Not curious enough to pay for that myself.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
On that same note, Zack Snyder’s re-edited Justice League film, which Warner is paying $30 million extra to redo, is coming straight to HBO in 2021.

This is a super-fanboy project. That may be the moment HBO charges regular subscribers extra. Not curious enough to pay for that myself.
Hmm. I loved Sucker Punch, but I can't say I've been a fan of his DC work, but I also feel part of that has been due to a lot of notes from clueless execs in suits, thus this new cut. I think that would be an odd choice for HBO to choose to trigger a rental charge. Like you said, I don't think many would be interested in paying extra but it might be enough to get more people on the subscription. Still trying to figure out why HBO Now still exists, or does it?

What's your opinion on the Brightburn movie?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Disney Plus did the same with Mulan, I am already paying $7.99 for their subpar service because they have such a limited selection of movies then they wanted $30.00 on top of it to watch that movie. No way man, I just downloaded it the next day. I don't mind paying for all the services but IMO that was way above and beyond, felt like a deliberate ripoff.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Disney Plus did the same with Mulan, I am already paying $7.99 for their subpar service because they have such a limited selection of movies then they wanted $30.00 on top of it to watch that movie. No way man, I just downloaded it the next day. I don't mind paying for all the services but IMO that was way above and beyond, felt like a deliberate ripoff.
It feels like all the subscription services are using our money to fund a 90% failure rate in hopes of something becoming the next big thing that will drive more new subscriptions.

Kind of side barring here, but I feel a lot of people would have been fine with Stranger Things ending after a season or 2 but Netflix will fully beat it into the dirt until it's fully jumped the shark (if it hasn't already, it's already repetitive with the plot). Meanwhile they are cutting other quality series left and right before they even have a chance to grow a following that didn't happen right out the gate while releasing even more new series that will suffer the same fate. This is what happens when you remove humanity and surrender to the algorithm.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm. I loved Sucker Punch, but I can't say I've been a fan of his DC work, but I also feel part of that has been due to a lot of notes from clueless execs in suits, thus this new cut. I think that would be an odd choice for HBO to choose to trigger a rental charge. Like you said, I don't think many would be interested in paying extra but it might be enough to get more people on the subscription. Still trying to figure out why HBO Now still exists, or does it?

What's your opinion on the Brightburn movie?
I agree about his DC work. Man of Steel, BvS, and JL were all mightily disappointing to me. I flat out don’t like those films. The degree of difficulty on the last two is especially high but dude, he fucked up a Superman movie during the golden age of superhero films. I prefer Superman Returns (flaws and all) to MoS.

HBO Now was automatically upgraded to Max for a lot of users, including me with my Apple TV. I know they’re still working out the Max details with Roku so maybe Roku users still have Now?

I have not seen Brightburn. It’s on Starz right now so I‘ll probably check it out soon.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed, I’m not paying an extra dime. Hopefully Falcon/Winter Soldier is good enough to make me feel better about their monthly fees.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I honestly prefer Marvel to DC. Just a personal preference. However, I am mighty excited about this news. I found out from a friend last night.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
My beautiful wife asked me to look at our cable bill because she thinks it’s too high. (Well, it is. What else is new?)

She neglected to tell me about the notice at the side that said, oh by the way, since you’re an HBO subscriber, you’re getting HBO Max for free. That is so my wife. 😊

So I signed in and was checking it out when I saw the WW84 announcement. The trailer was really good. I just might pony up for it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
My issue with the Snyderverse is that basically he romanticized the Watchmen for the wrong reasons, and decided going with a dark version of the DC Universe was the way to go. Wonder Woman showed that was an epic mistake.

So thinking fanboys will pull in money, some WB exec thinks making a 2X size redo of a film that was 10lbs of shite in a 4lb bag of sugar is the way to go. Also throw in one of the worst parts of the schizophrenic Suicide Squad, because why not? Snyder Bros are the happiest Bros!

WW84 is just the logical choice, if not a disappointing one for the creators. For HBO Max it's just too good a selling point this season. I personally hope for Black Widow on D+, but I think Disney overlords will be resistant to teach fans to look forward to major releases regularly if theaters re open soon & a chain is still standing.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Maybe DC went so dark because in the comics for so many years, Marvel titles were the “serious” ones while DC was considered light fluff. I know that was a while back, but memories stick.

Problems vary. “Man of Steel” was too dark, and “Justice League” and BvsS were borderline incoherent. I’m hoping JL’s problem will be fixed in the new cut. And frankly I’m already worried about the new “Suicide Squad” not-a-sequel having too many characters, and some obscure ones at that. It has the potential to be a mess.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My beautiful wife asked me to look at our cable bill because she thinks it’s too high. (Well, it is. What else is new?)

She neglected to tell me about the notice at the side that said, oh by the way, since you’re an HBO subscriber, you’re getting HBO Max for free. That is so my wife. 😊

So I signed in and was checking it out when I saw the WW84 announcement. The trailer was really good. I just might pony up for it.
It seemed like every time I looked there was another increase or hidden fee, it eventually rose to around $225 a month and that's when I finally cancelled and went to subscription based tv with YouTubeTV as my primary and other a la carte services as I like off and on. It was liberating and now I'm paying less than half the price (including internet) with everything I want with no contracts. Granted I'm not into sports packages and it sounds like that's another tier of service.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Maybe DC went so dark because in the comics for so many years, Marvel titles were the “serious” ones while DC was considered light fluff. I know that was a while back, but memories stick.

Problems vary. “Man of Steel” was too dark, and “Justice League” and BvsS were borderline incoherent. I’m hoping JL’s problem will be fixed in the new cut. And frankly I’m already worried about the new “Suicide Squad” not-a-sequel having too many characters, and some obscure ones at that. It has the potential to be a mess.
The Suicide Squad thing is intentional. Because of the idea of having a Suicide Squad but no one dies, which thwarts the concept. So Gunn got an agreement he could kill ANYONE off. So he's leaning towards a high body count, and hinting that no one is supposed to be safe.

DC was traditionally the light side of things, but bear in mind they are the ones with Moore & Miller who initiated the darker aspects of comic that ran for the longest time. Marvel was known as being the more 'real', as their characters would face more realistic problems, as opposed to in DC with the exception of O'Neill's Green Lantern/Green Arrow series faced none.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Yep, that’s ballsy. Fuck it, right?
It's also sadly realistic when you consider what's going behind the scenes at Warner Bros ( friends & I are betting DC Comics does NOT make it to the end of 2021 ) and how well we handle things to get back to 'normal'. Warner Bros current mindset with their new management since AT&T took over is about that profit and getting what you can. AT&T and Warner Bros have no 'F's for brick & mortar store fronts or theaters. It's about their digital platforms first & foremost.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's also sadly realistic when you consider what's going behind the scenes at Warner Bros ( friends & I are betting DC Comics does NOT make it to the end of 2021 ) and how well we handle things to get back to 'normal'. Warner Bros current mindset with their new management since AT&T took over is about that profit and getting what you can. AT&T and Warner Bros have no 'F's for brick & mortar store fronts or theaters. It's about their digital platforms first & foremost.
DC comics, like comic books? That’d shock me, but I’m not in the know.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
DC comics, like comic books? That’d shock me, but I’m not in the know.
Yup, as in comic books. For the bean counters physical floppies as they've been known have never been a main profit driver. They were kept around to protect the properties to exploit on children's underwear and such. With the boom in films never translating to a boom in their source material, a drive began this year to move away. You can expect fewer books at first, using arguments about diversity tanking sales ( as opposed to sub par product ), followed by a move to digital, then collecting that digital material into trade paperbacks for the struggling book store market.

Top Bottom
1 2