WWDC 2024

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple continues to support Intel Macs. Further, they did very little pruning—the support is nearly unchanged vs. Sonoma. It appears the only models dropped were the 2018–19 MBA's:

MacOS Sequoia hardware requirements, according to Wikipedia:

MacOS Sonoma hardware requirements, for comparison:

Time to break out @Colstan's prediction thread! My prediction was that next year's MacOS (#16) will be the last to support Intel. We shall see....

1718049843463.png

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I came away impressed with the presentation's breadth of new features.

Standalone passwords app, Notes features, Apple Intelligence writing features (particularly taking some lazy/clumsy writing (I struggle) and cleaning it up making it better) and being able to select a writing tone/style, notification prioritization, access to ChatGPT (when needed and with permission), some drawing features, iPad calculator, equation solving via MathNotes, and more. If I were into AVP, visionOS 2 looks pretty sweet (and could encourage me to get a 2nd gen AVP in the future).

Major Siri improvements too!

There's more that's not coming to mind right at the moment.

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Automatic satellite transmission of iOS messages where there's no cellular service sounds pretty neat. Previously that was only used during SOS emergencies.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was working and just watching a live recap from time to time. But I saw plenty to like. The standalone password app. Locking apps. I think the AI stuff combined with photos looks interesting. Plenty more.

I don't go into these anymore expecting to have my mind blown. That used to be the case, but things are more mature now. So I expected little and was happy with the little we got.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG I love math notes. Playing with it now. Very nice. Sometimes it gets confused by my writing, but i suspect it will improve.
I mostly came in to find out who else installed the beta. I have it downloading on my phone now. If it works well, I'll install on my iPad.

Math notes looks great, but I rarely use a calculator.

Otherwise, a lot of really lackluster features. The only one I got excited about at all was finally being able to use a backdrop in FaceTime, like I can with all my work apps like Zoom and Teams,

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that I've watched the last half of the Keynote, I'm a little excited about Image Playground. I take it this is something we're going to have to wait on?

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Time to break out @Colstan's prediction thread! My prediction was that next year's MacOS (#16) will be the last to support Intel. We shall see....
It looks like you chose Sonoma + 2. Wouldn't that mean that you thought macOS 17 was going to be the last one to support Intel Macs?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I mostly came in to find out who else installed the beta.

I'll put it on my old iPhone 12. I keep that as a test/backup device. But I believe it's too old to get to play with the AI stuff. So is my iPhone 14. I'm sure my iPad is too old. My laptop is still Intel. My Mac Studio is the only thing where I could play with the new AI stuff. But it's my main computer, so that's not happening. I don't need to explain to my boss why I can't hop on calls.

I'll check out whatever my 12 can do. I might be willing to hop on the beta cycle a little further down the road on some other devices, but not right now.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The next macOS will cut off from November of '19, leaving only a MBP, the Pro and a 5K iMac as supported Intel models. It will be the last one with any x86 code. But there will be some variety of inexpensive Nuvia PCs, so the door to Hackinosh will still be slightly ajar for subsequent AS-only systems.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
The Photos app is quite different. Not sure if that's good or bad yet, it's just different.
I think it's worse. It's not just that the new layout is more confusing, but also that now when you navigate into a deeper screen in the navigation stack you can no longer use the swipe gesture to go back to the previous screen. That's objectively worse, IMHO.

thenewperson

Reaction score
I think it's worse. It's not just that the new layout is more confusing, but also that now when you navigate into a deeper screen in the navigation stack you can no longer use the swipe gesture to go back to the previous screen. That's objectively worse, IMHO.
They better fix that. I hate every app that does this and especially hate the Apple apps that do because they of all devs should know better.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
"Musk warns that he will ban Apple devices if OpenAI is integrated at operating system level". From what exactly... his car that already doesn't have it? Twitter, a company that he's essentially killed anyway? It's like how he caters to a all the right wing nutjobs who will never buy one of his cars, he is his own worst enemy.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
"Musk warns that he will ban Apple devices if OpenAI is integrated at operating system level". From what exactly... his car that already doesn't have it? Twitter, a company that he's essentially killed anyway? It's like how he caters to a all the right wing nutjobs who will never buy one of his cars, he is his own worst enemy.

Hah! Delusions of grandeur. I stopped using twitter a dozen or so years ago.

AAPL is up 2.7% this morning. :)

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
I liked the WWDC overall. Their approach to ML sounds very reasonable: specialize, optimize, and don't overdo it. It's very Apple-like, and I can see it delivering practical value. I am particularly impressed by the cloud architecture they have presented, which seems like a great way forward for private computing. I also liked image generation. It's very basic yet practical for the use cases they presented it for. They can achieve good performance and acceptable quality by limiting the diffusion model. I can definitely see using it for my presentations and in chats. Overall, I really like their ML design with semantic index and app-provided info. It is much more scalable than Microsoft's "let's record the video of the screen and do a search on that" stuff.

The software updates were mostly meh. For me, the winners are the new Notes capabilities and the Passwords app. New ML-enabled Safari functionality also sounds interesting, but I'd like to play with it first.

I also expected large updates to Metal this year, which did not arrive. There are some quality-of-life improvements for resource management that fix some friction points with other APIs. They also have this new device memory coherency feature, but I am not quite sure yet how it works.

Top Bottom
1 2