Your Favourite Quotes

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I’m chaotic neutral.

Happy birthday anyway!

As to favorite quotes, there are too many, but one of mine is really really old, no matter who first said it.

"No man steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man."​

-- usually attributed to the pre-Socratic philosopher Heraclitus​

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Here’s one that seems particularly apropos of our time:

Ambassador G’Kar, quoting the G’Quan:

There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
My dad said this once and it stuck with me:

"Getting old isn't for pussies"

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: Taking acid before watching a film, I recommend trying this with The Jerk. It's an experience.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I’m told during the premiere of “2001: A Space Odyssey” in 1968, one particular moviegoer dropped some acid before the monolith’s famous psychedelic light trip and ended up running straight through the screen yelling, “It’s God! It’s God!”

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
One of my favorite "quoted quotes" was offered up in a Paris Review interview of Anita Brookner (1928-2016). She included Stendhal (1783-1842) when asked about early influences on her writing:

"Stendhal was the one I loved most. He was the true romantic: 'I walk in the street marvelling at the stars and I’m run over by a cab,' he said. That sums it up!"

Top Bottom
1 2