Your Vacation Location

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Of note, when on the aircraft after landing in Paris, the Air France flight attendant went though the airplane and told the people who were going to use wheelchairs to remain seated and deplane last! I looked at my wife and said NFW, we would not make the connection. Being among the the first off and using a wheelchair was what made it work for us.

One thing we have noticed is that announcements are no longer made about connections. We and the offspring had 2 recent connection issues on the United BUR>CMH or CMH>BUR flights, both through DEN.

The first one the wife and I were flying back from dropping her off in CA and our flight out of BUR was delayed by 45 minutes. The Pilot came on and said all connections were good so we didn't think any more about it. Until we had a hold landing in DEN. We should have grabbed a FA and asked her to call ahead because we would have a tight connection, but we didn't. Got to DEN and the door was closed, so we missed that connection. Ironically our bags made it (United app is great for knowing where your bags are). So not wanting to wait until the later flight, we ended up grabbing a flight through ORD >CMH.

When the offspring was headed back home, we were about half way to the airport when she got an alert her flight had been delayed and the projected arrival was after her connection. So the wife (former TA) called and gets her rescheduled on the same flights the next day. She couldn't do an overnight layover because she had her cat. Get to the airport the next day, drop her off and head to dinner only to get a panicked call that her plane delayed again (someone puked on the inbound) and her connection was getting shorter by the minute. She finally got on, but her connection went from 1:10 to :35 and she was at the back of the plane. So she did ask is there was anyway she could get off first as she had a tight connection. She was told all connections were good.

She made it to her gate as the last boarding group was boarding. She didn't get anything to eat, but she lived.

But like I said, I remember FA's making announcements about gates and sometimes they would keep everyone seated until someone with a tight connection could get off. And the airlines did a better job of knowing who had tight connections and would help them make them. Now sadly it seems they don't care.

As for the BUR<>CMH on United, we are done with it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing we have noticed is that announcements are no longer made about connections. We and the offspring had 2 recent connection issues on the United BUR>CMH or CMH>BUR flights, both through DEN.

The first one the wife and I were flying back from dropping her off in CA and our flight out of BUR was delayed by 45 minutes. The Pilot came on and said all connections were good so we didn't think any more about it. Until we had a hold landing in DEN. We should have grabbed a FA and asked her to call ahead because we would have a tight connection, but we didn't. Got to DEN and the door was closed, so we missed that connection. Ironically our bags made it (United app is great for knowing where your bags are). So not wanting to wait until the later flight, we ended up grabbing a flight through ORD >CMH.

When the offspring was headed back home, we were about half way to the airport when she got an alert her flight had been delayed and the projected arrival was after her connection. So the wife (former TA) called and gets her rescheduled on the same flights the next day. She couldn't do an overnight layover because she had her cat. Get to the airport the next day, drop her off and head to dinner only to get a panicked call that her plane delayed again (someone puked on the inbound) and her connection was getting shorter by the minute. She finally got on, but her connection went from 1:10 to :35 and she was at the back of the plane. So she did ask is there was anyway she could get off first as she had a tight connection. She was told all connections were good.

She made it to her gate as the last boarding group was boarding. She didn't get anything to eat, but she lived.

But like I said, I remember FA's making announcements about gates and sometimes they would keep everyone seated until someone with a tight connection could get off. And the airlines did a better job of knowing who had tight connections and would help them make them. Now sadly it seems they don't care.

As for the BUR<>CMH on United, we are done with it.
Delta does have screens at the gate showing connections. It seems like those announcements are things of a different technical age.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Delta does have screens at the gate showing connections.

I have always liked Delta, but sadly once they did away with service from CVG to CRW I had to stop flying them. They still go to ATL, but I avoid that place like the plague. CVG isn't bad, but for some reason that extra 30 minutes driving home from CVG over CMH seems like hours.

What were the main routes you used to fly?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have always liked Delta, but sadly once they did away with service from CVG to CRW I had to stop flying them. They still go to ATL, but I avoid that place like the plague. CVG isn't bad, but for some reason that extra 30 minutes driving home from CVG over CMH seems like hours.

What were the main routes you used to fly?
All over. When I was on the A-320, domestic + Mexico and Canada. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hit Utah last week for 4 ski days as they’re having an epic snow season. If you like booze like I do, Utah fucking sucks. They’ve essentially sucked all the joy out of being out on the town and having a few.

But, the skiing:
ADE0D94B-63B5-4817-85D7-E34B020D01A2.jpeg

DE8C5F6F-EFF6-4F67-BDFD-6C864912FD1B.jpeg

49C88905-2F57-40C8-983D-FADD119E2A00.jpeg

B57CADED-E06E-433B-AF9B-28B540755685.jpeg

AC54C858-164D-4DBA-88D4-6DF50668DF68.jpeg

Me:
AA3D169F-97F1-4E36-9993-8C158C48EC46.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Hit Utah last week for 4 ski days as they’re having an epic snow season. If you like booze like I do, Utah fucking sucks. They’ve essentially sucked all the joy out of being out on the town and having a few.

But, the skiing:

Park City? Beautiful no matter.

Went to Park City back in the early 90's. Being east coast skiers, we wanted to experience real powder. Well, we chose the wrong time to go because it was just as icy as Snowshoe.

The upside was we could ski it and many others couldn't.

Got powder the next winter in Aspen, but that is a whole different story. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Park City? Beautiful no matter.

Went to Park City back in the early 90's. Being east coast skiers, we wanted to experience real powder. Well, we chose the wrong time to go because it was just as icy as Snowshoe.

The upside was we could ski it and many others couldn't.

Got powder the next winter in Aspen, but that is a whole different story. :)
Loved the town and the terrain in Aspen. That was over 10 years ago. Bummer to read stories about how difficult it is for non-rich people to exist there.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Loved the town and the terrain in Aspen. That was over 10 years ago. Bummer to read stories about how difficult it is for non-rich people to exist there.

I was there in the early 90's and even then the workers came in on the bus.

Could not beat the skiing there. It was gray and cloudy in town, but get on the gondola and pop up through the clouds to warm sun. :)

Haven't skied in years. Still have "straight" skis as I never upgraded to the parabolics. But as bad as my knees are, I think I would need to learn to telemark if I was going to ski again.

Top Bottom
1 2