‘Rust’ Case Against Alec Baldwin Is Dismissed Over Withheld Evidence

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Solutions
Main Camera
Sony
Instagram
Sounds like this prosecution was going to any lengths to get him and it backfired.

The involuntary manslaughter case against Mr. Baldwin fell apart after an envelope of ammunition that the prosecution had not shown the defense was brought into the courtroom.

Not only dismissed, but Dismissed with Prejudice, meaning it's over.

And the armorer may also be set free based on this. Same judge.
Yeah I don't really have a dog in this fight but it seems pretty unfair that she didn't get a trial with the new evidence, whatever that may be.

I spent most of my evening watching today’s hearing. Some very very fine lawyering by Alex Spiro. If you‘re the prosecutor, you know you’re in trouble when the judge puts on rubber gloves, and you’re in even worse trouble when she swears you in and makes you take the stand. Prosecutor also was very evasive under cross examination by Spiro.

Even without the Brady violations, the case seemed very weak. It’s hard to convict someone when there are so many intervening actors.

Last edited:
Sounds like this prosecution was going to any lengths to get him and it backfired.

The involuntary manslaughter case against Mr. Baldwin fell apart after an envelope of ammunition that the prosecution had not shown the defense was brought into the courtroom.

Seems like the prosecutor should've watched "My Cousin Vinny" ... the prosecutor in that movie knew he had to do that. The defense lawyer Vinny (Joe Pesci) didn't which I thought even for an inexperienced lawyer as Vinny was seemed absurd, but ... apparently not.

I did not consider the angle of holding a producer accountable. I know that there is a position. Armorer/Weapons Master with legal responsibility of handling guns and keeping live ammo off the set. I heard the angle was to accuse Baldwin as a producer of “rushing things” and if this was the case, I’d say so what, unless the rushing somehow prevented the armorer from doing their job, and still this does not explain how live ammo got on the set. I don’t see a producer being held accountable unless there was direct involvement in illegal activity or the producer undermining the armorer.

I did not consider the angle of holding a producer accountable. I know that there is a position. Armorer/Weapons Master with legal responsibility of handling guns and keeping live ammo off the set. I heard the angle was to accuse Baldwin as a producer of “rushing things” and if this was the case, I’d say so what, unless the rushing somehow prevented the armorer from doing their job, and still this does not explain how live ammo got on the set. I don’t see a producer being held accountable unless there was direct involvement in illegal activity or the producer undermining the armorer.
The judge prohibited the prosecution from presenting evidence that he was a producer (that happened the day before yesterday’s events).

He could certainly be held liable in a civil trial if, for example, he negligently hired the people responsible for the guns, he knew that shortcuts were being taken, etc. But in a criminal trial that’s a real stretch.

Back