Apple working on Magic Keyboard with MacOS built in

LIVEFRMNYC

Power User
Reaction score
Apple's new chips have definitely opened a lot of possibilities. I'm thinking underclocked M1 with 8gb at $650 - $700.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
What a clever idea.

ts1500.jpg

trs-80-level1-1920x.jpg

commodore_64-02.jpg

My computer before my first Mac 512Ke was a Commodore 128

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

First computer I ever used was that TRS-80 Model I. First I ever owned was a TI-99/4A, which was also a keyboard form factor.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My bigoest concern would be that, well, like the time my aunt was using her son's Air to play solitaire and, boom, a spilled coke and it was bricked. And keyboards are such collectors of grot: I want to design a keyboard made with linked rods, kind of like the old Smith-Corona form factor except more practical, such that all the dander and crumbs end up under it instead of inside it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

commodore_64-02.jpg

I've got a working C64 in storage, I thought I had a 1541 drive in the same box, but last time (er, like 15+ years ago) I stumbled on the C64, no drive, so now I can't play Sword of Fargoal or Bruce Lee ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
On topic, yes, this seems kind of cool, I'd assume it's basically an M1 MBA in a keyboard (if it's really a thing). I guess my question: is there really any kind of market for this? Maybe the educational sector? This vs. a Mini?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I've got a working C64 in storage, I thought I had a 1541 drive in the same box, but last time (er, like 15+ years ago) I stumbled on the C64, no drive, so now I can't play Sword of Fargoal or Bruce Lee ...
I got myself a replacement that takes an SD card. Authentic enough for me, although I do have a 1541 somewhere.

Just keep in mind that the original PSU is likely to fry your C64. Get a modern replacement to be on the safe side, or at least verify the one you have.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I got myself a replacement that takes an SD card. Authentic enough for me, although I do have a 1541 somewhere.

Just keep in mind that the original PSU is likely to fry your C64. Get a modern replacement to be on the safe side, or at least verify the one you have.

Oh, I just looked that up, very cool!

Good call on the PSU, probably worth putting a meter on it, though, now in thinking about it, I don't think I saw that either ... :ROFLMAO:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I've got a working C64, with the drive and a bunch of floppies, in VR. :ROFLMAO: I played it once or twice. It was fun playing some of the old games again. Then I got bored super quick. I mean it's a VR headset. It can do cooler things than emulate a C64!

No clue what ever happened to my original. That was my first computer. I eventually added the drive.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Given the pi400 exists (I have one) I can see this being a red hot deal with an M1 in it.

This will perhaps be the Mac mini replacement, with the Mac mini growing up a bit into a Mac cube and becoming far more powerful.

If the raspberry pi foundation can do the Pi400 for around 100 USD then I'm sure apple can do far better for 3-4x that price.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This will perhaps be the Mac mini replacement, with the Mac mini growing up a bit into a Mac cube and becoming far more powerful.

Huh, that's pretty clever. Make the entry level headless Mac, umm, also bodiless :D

Odds on if a new Mac Mini is shown next week, that it's a new, more Borg-like form factor.

Top Bottom
1 2