Big Sur

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So Apple is having a “one more thing” event next week. Do you think they’ll finally release Big Sur? I’d honestly forgotten about it until the last bug fix update.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I would imagine that, yes, they'll be releasing Big Sur. Although come to think about it, I haven't seen anything yet on MR about a release of the "golden master,", which usually signals that the ready-for-prime-time release is imminent.... Usually when in autumn they announce new Macs or refreshed versions of Macs they will also announce the newest OS, too, and the new machines will be shipped with it. The rest of us can download and install the new version in our current machines if so desired. I usually wait a few days, read comments from those who have taken the plunge, before going ahead with it myself. I definitely am not a beta tester, prefer not to get involved with all that!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I believe it will be released for sure. They are already sending out 11.0.1 betas for testing, so they must already have a release candidate for 11.0 done.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would imagine that, yes, they'll be releasing Big Sur. Although come to think about it, I haven't seen anything yet on MR about a release of the "golden master,", which usually signals that the ready-for-prime-time release is imminent.... Usually when in autumn they announce new Macs or refreshed versions of Macs they will also announce the newest OS, too, and the new machines will be shipped with it. The rest of us can download and install the new version in our current machines if so desired. I usually wait a few days, read comments from those who have taken the plunge, before going ahead with it myself. I definitely am not a beta tester, prefer not to get involved with all that!
I did see the GM sent out a few days ago. So hopefully next week.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Careful - the download finished and it gave me an error and said it couldn't be installed. Guess I'll try another time. Looks like I'm not the only one - many grumpy people on the MR forums complaining of similar issues.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Careful - the download finished and it gave me an error and said it couldn't be installed. Guess I'll try another time. Looks like I'm not the only one - many grumpy people on the MR forums complaining of similar issues.
I got the error almost immediately. Welllllllll shit. I guess I’ll wait for them to update.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
One reason I appreciate MR -- I can read posts about potential issues with a new software update or upgrade and know to hold off, wait a while.....looks as though this is going to be one of those occasions! I was just busy with other stuff and wasn't online as much and so didn't even think about today being Big Sur Day. Looks as though Apple is going to have to kick out a fix quickly, an update to the update/upgrade.... Certainly wouldn't be the first time!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

I've gotten more and more chicken about an OS initial release... gonna wait for at least the x.1 of Big Sur on my MBA 2020. I don't have the patience any more to restore and go again if an upgrade goes south on me. Used to want to be out and about with a new Mac OS but that's when I had more fallback machines in good shape than I do now.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well this is interesting. When I finished class tonight, I thought Oh what the heck...I’ll try it again. It seems to be downloading just fine now and has been at it for about 30 minutes. We’ll see.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
02A2E57A-8328-4A21-A96C-B52D2AE73069.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2