Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Chicken pot pie on deck for dinner.

Crank oven to 425F. And, warm up pan and sear chicken in olive oil until cooked, and then set aside. I prefer to cover meat, and wait until it's cooler to cut it up into cubes.

Get 2 cups flour and 2/3 cup + 2 tbls shortening with a bit of salt and six tablespoons water. Combine flour and salt, cut in shortening with pastry blender. Mix in cold water with fork, divide dough in half, and shape into two balls. Wrap one in plastic wrap, take the other and roll it out. Fold into quarters, and then put in into a pie plate, and unfold. Trim.

Melt butter. Add onion, and cook until tender. Add salt and pepper, and flour. Stir in chicken broth, and milk. And cook until thickened. Then, throw in vegetables and chicken until nearly cooked through. Spoon into crust-lined pie plate.

Take the other dough out of refrigerator and roll out. Place on pie, and fix the edges. Bake until golden.

Wait five minutes so you don't burn the shit out of your mouth, and eat.

I usually make two of them at once because my kid will destroy one by himself if we're not paying attention.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I went all out today. Salmon, carrots, and broccoli with jerk seasoning. I must remember that salmon is not my favorite fish.

A13BC6FF-542D-42B3-9985-4B95CC1A959E.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Something tonight involving summer squash, mushrooms, red bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, yes garlic, green onions and some long pasta. A homebrew version of a vegetable lo mein, basically. Stuff from the large haul of fresh produce from an Aldi's that I had Instacart bring over here. before the weather turned bad overnight. That order was one of the better ideas I had and acted on this week if I do say so.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Something tonight involving summer squash, mushrooms, red bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, yes garlic, green onions and some long pasta. A homebrew version of a vegetable lo mein, basically. Stuff from the large haul of fresh produce from an Aldi's that I had Instacart bring over here. before the weather turned bad overnight. That order was one of the better ideas I had and acted on this week if I do say so.

Sounds delicious.

How did you season it? I'm always on the look-out for tasty vegetarian (and other) Asian dishes.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner - which won't be ready for a few hours yet, will take the form of a spicy, and flavoursome, beef goulash.

Earlier this morning, in the farmers' market, among other purchases, I treated myself to some organic stewing beef, as I realised last week that I had no beef in the freezer, and I have been craving a spicy stew. Actually, I requested that the portion I bought be divided between two bags.

Then, this afternoon, quite some time ago, (those lying recipes that advise "prep 10 minutes" are lying through their teeth), I diced the contents of one of these bags into very small pieces, and then proceeded to sauté it slowly, in a mix of olive oil and butter, so that it took on a nice brown colour. This sort of browning takes time, as one cannot crowd the pan, as the beef will then steam, rather than browning; thus, you brown the meat in batches, removing the browned meat with a slotted spoon, putting it aside in a dish, and then adding more meat to the pan to brown.

Once the stewing beef was all browned - and reserved in a dish - I poured more olive oil to the dish, and sautéed some diced pancetta (which will give a salty bacon/pork flavour to the dish).

Because I like garlic, I next added around a head of garlic (peeled and very roughly halved, the individual cloves of garlic separated) to the pan, let that soften, and then returned the browned stewing beef to the pan with the garlic and pancetta.

At this stage the specific seasonings for Hungarian (or Austrian) style goulash - caraway seeds and sweet paprika and hot paprika were added; every Hungarian recipe calls for a lot more paprika than you think you will need - we are talking tablespoons, dessertspoons, by way of quantity, - were added and sautéed with the meat for a few minutes (roughly two-three dessertspoons of Hungarian sweet paprika, and a half a dessertspoon of Hungarian hot paprika).

The contents of the pan - browned meat, pancetta, roughly chopped garlic and seasonings - were placed in a copper casserole dish (the oven had been heating up nicely for the previous hour and a half) along with some stock, more than sufficient to cover them completely, and a tablespoon of tomato puree.

This was then placed in the oven for over an hour, at a low heat.

Meanwhile, the copper sauté pan was summoned into action again, when fresh olive oil and butter were added (having been washed and dried first); roughly chopped onion, green pepper and carrot (two peppers, three carrots and six medium onions) were slowly sautéed; when they softened (a process that took the best part of 40-50 minutes), I added minced garlic (almost a full head), and the inevitable teaspoon of caraway seeds and a further dessertspoon of Hungarian sweet paprika.

Once these had sautéed together for a few minutes, the vegetable contents of the sauté pan were added to the casserole dish, (which was briefly removed from the oven), as was a tin of Italian tomatoes (San Marzano), already chopped and seasoned and ready and waiting in a bowl, while the empty tomato tin was summoned into use when filled with water to rinse out what was left of the tomato juices, and this, too, was added to the casserole dish, which was then returned to the oven to work its magic for a number of hours, at least three, preferably four, perhaps more.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner - though I say so myself - was quite utterly delicious.

I served it with fresh French bread (didn't fancy rice, potatoes or noodles) and a glass of rich, robust, red wine that had been breathing away to itself for the best part of six hours.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Am preparing a pasta dish; A soffritto - very finely diced carrot, onion and celery, softened, plus a small jar of anchovies (dissolved into the olive oil), a head (bulb) of garlic, peeled, separated into cloves, halved and roughly chopped, a little broccoli, diced, and shredded kale. Plus fresh pasta, linguine.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Kiddo destroyed the quiche, and my wife had to fight tooth and nail to get any of it. Which is funny because when I described what I was making he said it "sounds gross."

Apparently, bacon, cheese and spinach is good when tucked into eggs and pie crust.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Kiddo destroyed the quiche, and my wife had to fight tooth and nail to get any of it. Which is funny because when I described what I was making he said it "sounds gross."

Apparently, bacon, cheese and spinach is good when tucked into eggs and pie crust.

Spinach always, but always, goes exceptionally well with eggs.

As does bacon.

Now, cheese, well, that is a bit more subjective....

but, but, but,

as it happens, I am exceedingly partial to cheese, and cheese goes well with bacon, and very well eggs, and - yes - extremely well with spinach.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Spinach always, but always, goes exceptionally well with eggs.

As does bacon.

Now, cheese, well, that is a bit more subjective....

but, but, but,

as it happens, I am exceedingly partial to cheese, and cheese goes well but bacon, and very well eggs, and - yes - extremely well with spinach.

Spinach omelet, mmmm.. And I like mushrooms in the mix there sometimes as well.

Mushrooms with lentils also, love that combo with lamb stew in springtime.

Top Bottom
1 2