California Streamin’

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's why I think these events have become silly, or at least attempting to give them the same amount of excitement buildup as the Jobs years, and shortly after. I don't really blame Apple though for that perception, and really, we cut our teeth on an Apple forum before we got here. So maybe the excitement has died down and it's just our bubble that makes it appear otherwise.

Yeah, I'm kind of glad they're not even live, they don't have the "magic" that would make them better live, it's more like an hour advertisement.

Heck, the most excitement I've had in the last couple of years was with the M1 machines, particularly the laptops. More of the same like I talked about, i.e., just faster and better battery life, but the improvement of both was so radical, it really changed how you can use the device.

I've noticed Apple has even dialed back the whole AR thing, where it was front and center when they first introduced the new depth sensors.

Most of the notable changes comes by way of OS updates, new features, the SDK allowing for devs to utilize the hardware better, etc.

My money on the next epic shift, is going to be some major shift of computers / tablets to a more unified platform, that's not sticking a touch display on a Mac or running MacOS on a tablet.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
iPad mini looked cool. I’d get that if I didn’t buy an iPad Pro 11” last year. I plan to keep this thing until the wheels fall off

The watches were a let down. I think we all expected flat edges. I’ll keep my Series 4 that’s still going strong.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro so I’m good. I Think lol Sometimes I wish I’d gotten the Pro Max but I don’t think it’s worth spending the extra money if my 12 Pro gets the job done. Who knows. I may change my mind when I see them next week. But for now I’m good.

The flat edges would've been a pretty major design shift, I kind of wasn't totally sold on the concept. My next purchase is when they add a major new health sensor like something to measure glucose levels.

Oh yeah, if I had a 12 Pro, I wouldn't be buying, heck the wife isn't interested and she has an 11 Pro.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
My money on the next epic shift, is going to be some major shift of computers / tablets to a more unified platform, that's not sticking a touch display on a Mac or running MacOS on a tablet.

I'd like to see Logic and Final Cut come to the iPad fully featured and being able to easily bounce between tablet and Mac on the fly, although that would probably take some epic iCloud functionality and power. I do believe that is probably a goal they are setting.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Still on an ageing iPhone XS Max Pro here. Pretty sure I'll be ordering on Friday though! 83% battery life isn't going to be any better in a year.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
The watches were a let down. I think we all expected flat edges. I’ll keep my Series 4 that’s still going strong.
Yeah there were a bunch of rumors about a flat edge redesign. I was actually surprised they didn’t really redesign it.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Yeah there were a bunch of rumors about a flat edge redesign. I was actually surprised they didn’t really redesign it.
Rumors are funny beasts. Sometimes they have a base in reality, like say Apple were indeed working on a flat edge redesign but failed to make it work before a deadline and went with a proven option this time, sometimes they are based on educated guesses, sometimes they are based on wishful thinking, and sometimes they are planted by trolls.

Don’t worry, sooner or later it will get a redesign! Or get discontinued.

U

User.45

This was the most underwhelming event i can recall. The functionalities they’ve rumored for the watch aren’t coming (glucometer or blood pressure monitoring) because you can’t do it in an affordable watch format that isn’t a total gimmick. They can probably cheat and use the mountains of data to get a decently correlating “AI” estimate but I doubt it’s meaningful on an individual level.
So im fine with the watch being an incremental upgrade.

no touch ID in a pandemic however is a no go for me. If I’m outside of my administrative office, I’ll wear a mask all year. Dows faceid work now with a non translucent mask on?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
no touch ID in a pandemic however is a no go for me. If I’m outside of my administrative office, I’ll wear a mask all year. Dows faceid work now with a non translucent mask on?

It doesn't, however, there's an unlock available via an Apple Watch that works really well (basically wearing a passcode protected Watch, will authenticate your iPhone).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It doesn't, however, there's an unlock available via an Apple Watch that works really well (basically wearing a passcode protected Watch, will authenticate your iPhone).
Yes, this feature has been a lifesaver (maybe literally) and works flawlessly for me. It's actually a really smart and well thought out design.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes, this feature has been a lifesaver (maybe literally) and works flawlessly for me. It's actually a really smart and well thought out design.

I know, when it was finally up and running, I was like, "I could've used this 6 months ago!!"

For me, 99% of the time it's for use in the grocery store, but I bet it's a huge help for folks dealing with masks + phone + onsite work :)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Look ma, no ports at all... on anything. And can roll up whatever it is into an invisible cylinder that weighs just an ounce unless it's a laptop and then it will weigh less than a 2.6oz packet of tuna o_O and the box will contain two sheets of paper warning you not to throw out the device with the packaging.

And at that point Apple will have become why we can't have nice things. 🥴

Ok back to considering the new iPad mini... while it still has more heft than a sheet of plastic.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The unlock from watch works amazingly well with masks. It still struggles when I have sunglasses on though. 😂

I can’t believe how easy Apple is making it now. No longer just add to your wish list, but fill out everything so that you only have to complete your order on Friday. Everything is already done including your payment options!

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The mini is a very tempting mobile notebook / sketchbook + media consumption device, then I do the numbers...

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.41.25 AM.png

That's 256GB ( 64GB?!!! ) including another pencil as the Apple Pencil has to be unpaired and re paired to each device, a cover, and Apple Care. That's a bit 😱

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Wow, 64GB seems way too small now, i mean even my actual phones now are 128 and 256.

So 256GB on the iPad mini, yeah. And everything else sure does add up.

Hmm.... "thinking... thinking...."

[thinking yeah my old mini is really old but my 10.5 pro is way old too]​

Thinking I'm gonna be in a thinking loop for awhile here. Getting the mini would put me almost a grand behind the hit of getting a newer big iPad a little farther down the road. Even though I really like the mini for when I'm reading or watching TV series (not movies for some reason).

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Just ran the numbers on a Space Grey iPad Mini with 256 GB, cellular data, AppleCare (monthly plan) and Smart Folio (Electric Orange -- WOW!), and it would be $909.00 plus state tax, of course..... Yeah, a bit steep, that! I didn't bother checking to see what the trade-in value on my current iPad Mini 5th generation is, but presumably that device is still worth something. Not in any big rush to get anything new but the 6th-gen iPad Mini is a wee bit tempting..... Before that, though, a new Apple Watch would be higher priority, and before either of those enters the household, I still want to see what the new MBPs will be offering....

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I'm going to stick with the iPad Air 4 for now. I like the bigger screen but I'll know for sure once I can see the Mini 6 in person. I could get a really good trade-in deal though!

I was kind of surprised they made the AW S7 charge even faster than the S6. That's pretty cool as the S6 charges really fast already. I'll still be skipping this one though.

I got my pre-pre-order set up for the 1TB 13 Pro Max Sierra Blue set up!

U

User.45

Nice! So i can spend $400 with an extra device to charge so i can get a functionality of a 10-year-old iPhone:D

even apple fitness was shocking when i learned you need the watch to use it. FTS

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Does the watch v4 have this capability? Is it built in or is it some kind of app?

Yes! Assuming the correct WatchOS:

What you need​

Unlocking your iPhone with your Apple Watch requires these devices:
  • An iPhone that uses Face ID (iPhone X or later) and has iOS 14.5 or later
  • An Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7.4 or later
The feature also has these requirements:
  • Your Apple Watch needs to be paired with your iPhone.
  • Your iPhone and Apple Watch need to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. (You don't need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network.)
  • Your Apple Watch needs to have a passcode, and wrist detection must be turned on.
  • Your Apple Watch needs to be on your wrist and unlocked.
  • You need to be wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose.

Top Bottom
1 2