California to end mask mandate on Feb 15

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess my question is: what's happening in states like Florida, where no one wears a mask and the state government has basically decided the pandemic isn't a thing? Are they having significantly higher case rates and deaths or is it about the same? Do these restrictions and mandates actually work?
Also:

infection rate per 100k people: California = 22k, Florida = 26.6k.

Hospitalizations:

California = 29 per 100k, Florida = 35.

Long covid:

California = 3130 per 100k, Florida = 4170 per 100k

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Florida death rate is 0.79 per 100,000 people.
California is 0.50.

So, keeping in mind that California is a huge state and has a whole Florida’s worth of people who also pretend that the pandemic doesn’t exist, it does appear that getting vaccinated, masking up, etc. matters.

I don't think a lot of people realize that. Once you start going from the coast to the central valley and pretty much anywhere above SF it starts getting conservative pretty quick. Then you have Orange County, not just home to Disneyland but also possibly the biggest pocket of rich conservative loons in the state. I'd also imagine the lesser-known coastal towns are quite conservative, but more of the traditional anti-tax variety.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
More like death is normal…

They've just decided to live their life whether or not they get sick, hospitalized or die and the numbers reflect that.

Mask mandates ended here last year when the vaccines were rolled out. If people don't want to get vaccinated and die then oh well, that is their fault. #thoughts and prayers - yes, people can still catch it while vaccinated it but everyone I know that was vaccinated and caught it had very mild symptoms if any symptoms at all. The vaccinated people that have died were already very immunocompromised so it sucks for them. The majority of people in hospitals are unvaccinated and that is the fate they chose.

Some of y'all are too damn nice. These conservatives would march your asses to the gas chambers if they could get away with it, and yall are worried about saving their unvaccinated asses. Fuck 'em! They chose to not get vaccinated. That is their choice. If they die then oh well. I wont be donating to their GoFundMe. I'm not celebrating their deaths. I'm just not losing sleep over it.

D

Deleted member 215

^Yeah, that won’t go well. Even in liberal California, I wouldnt be surprised if we saw a “freedom convoy” here if that happened.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
^Yeah, that won’t go well. Even in liberal California, I wouldnt be surprised if we saw a “freedom convoy” here if that happened.

Good luck telling every unvaccinated resident of CA that they are completely unemployable across the board, especially at this late stage. Not to mention the fuel this will add to national politics.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Good luck telling every unvaccinated resident of CA that they are completely unemployable across the board, especially at this late stage. Not to mention the fuel this will add to national politics.

To hear some tell it, they are all Republicans so why would anyone out there care?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
To hear some tell it, they are all Republicans so why would anyone out there care?

In my personal experience, I know people who haven't been vaccinated here and they are all Republicans or undeclared right leaners. Even at my office, 3 out of 12 are unvaccinated - 1 Trumper, 1 easily manipulated right leaner, and 1 with possible legitimate health concerns. If they all get canned as a result of this it will have a noticeable impact on the rest of us. Part of the much bragged about record productivity numbers is that employers don't just have a bunch of spare employees laying around to fill in the gaps when you're shorthanded. Less employees means a lot more work for everybody else.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
In my personal experience, I know people who haven't been vaccinated here and they are all Republicans or undeclared right leaners. Even at my office, 3 out of 12 are unvaccinated - 1 Trumper, 1 easily manipulated right leaner, and 1 with possible legitimate health concerns. If they all get canned as a result of this it will have a noticeable impact on the rest of us. Part of the much bragged about record productivity numbers is that employers don't just have a bunch of spare employees laying around to fill in the gaps when you're shorthanded. Less employees means a lot more work for everybody else.

It's like that everywhere. Almost everyone I know that isn't vaccinated or anti-vax are conservative.

I am at the point where I just don't care anymore. It's been 2 years. The vaccine has been out over a year and if people aren't vaccinated at this point they never will be so just end mandates and call it a day. If the unvaccinated want to put themselves at higher risk of being hospitalized then that is their choice. But don't expect me to feel sorry for you when you're regretting your decision from your death bed.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Today's the day in CA, I'll still be wearing my mask but will try to relax about others who aren't, the (reported) infection rate is below 6% so I'm feeling better about it.

Same here. I still have five boxes of 3M N95 masks. That should take me and my wife forward for awhile when out-n-about among the unmasked. I'll probably end up using a bunch them in my woodshop - a good thing.

D

Deleted member 215

I've been wearing a cloth mask since the pandemic began. I did stop wearing it in the summer of 2021 when the rules were relaxed the first time. I have been wearing it ever since Delta arose in August and the rules were reinstated. I will gauge whether or not to wear it based on what I see around me but I'll still be taking it with me for now.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Same here. I still have five boxes of 3M N95 masks. That should take me and my wife forward for awhile when out-n-about among the unmasked. I'll probably end up using a bunch them in my woodshop - a good thing.

I'm thinking of other uses ...

Lightweight jock strap?

Wind resistant hat?

Dog poop slingshot?

Top Bottom
1 2