California to end mask mandate on Feb 15

D

Deleted member 215

I don't expect my county (San Mateo) to relax their own guidelines when the state does. We will probably be required to wear them for longer.

That said, I agree with Marin County's decision to base their mandate on hospitalizations due to COVID (not people admitted to a hospital for another reason who happen to test positive) rather than case numbers.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I personally just assume every single person I come across is not vaccinated and don't go anywhere near them, whether that's the case or not, it's the safest thing all of us can do IMO. However, a lot of places (regardless of government intervention) will still require proof.
I look for: The confederate flag, MAGA hat, American flag anywhere not actually in the code, neckbeard, oversize truck, etc, etc.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So here's a question.

In the past week, 5 Blue states (CA, CO, DE, NJ, NY) have ended or will soon end their mask mandates. This is contrary to the what the CDC is currently advising. I know it is usually when the Red states do something like this heads start exploding about them not following the science. Well the CDC is the science, so why aren't they following it? I know California has scientists because almost everything I buy is known to the State of California to cause cancer. So maybe their scientists are smarter than those at the CDC.

So are these states following their own science or are the following Political Science that says there is an election in 9 months and people aren't happy?

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So here's a question.

In the past week, 5 Blue states (CA, CO, DE, NJ, NY) have ended or will soon end their mask mandates. This is contrary to the what the CDC is currently advising. I know it is usually when the Red states do something like this heads start exploding about them not following the science. Well the CDC is the science, so why aren't they following it? I know California has scientists because almost everything I buy is known to the State of California to cause cancer. So maybe their scientists are smarter than those at the CDC.

So are these states following their own science or are the following Political Science that says there is an election in 9 months and people aren't happy?

Heads are exploding and people in these states (or at least the two I and my family live in) are questioning why this is occurring.

That’s the difference - unlike your people we actually question when the folks on “our side” do something that makes no sense.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
In the past week, 5 Blue states (CA, CO, DE, NJ, NY) have ended or will soon end their mask mandates.

You left out Oregon. By the end of March.

This is contrary to the what the CDC is currently advising. I know it is usually when the Red states do something like this heads start exploding about them not following the science. Well the CDC is the science, so why aren't they following it? I know California has scientists because almost everything I buy is known to the State of California to cause cancer. So maybe their scientists are smarter than those at the CDC.

I have no doubt elections are playing a part in it. But it's not set in stone. If the trend reverses, I have no doubt the masks will continue. I'm not giving my mask up until I feel like it's safe for me to do so. The "D" next to my governors name still stands for Democrat, not Doctor.

U

User.45

Look at vaccination rates for the states ending their mandates. The states that need mask mandates still don’t have them. The states that have mandates no longer need them. It’s that simple.
This. I generally agree with the CDC here, we are ahead of a slower than expected drop in hospitalizations, the wise thing is to wait it out to confirm trends. But let's be brutally honest, those who didn't want to wear a mask just wore gaiters or stuck their noses out, and those who care have already gotten boosters and will continue wearing a mask. So at this point, outside of schools and public transportation, this is a symbolic gesture.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't see it as a liberal or conservative thing when it comes to masks. I see a lot of left leaning people not wearing masks in public spaces or on social media including California and other blue states. The difference though is that I assume most of these people are vaccinated where as a lot of conservatives are anti vax. Liberals are also less likely to cause a scene over wearing a mask in public when asked to. I hate wearing a mask, but Im not causing a scene over it. I'll wear it when I need to.

At this point, you're not going to convince anti vax people to vax or wear a mask so fuck it. Thoughts and prayers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Heads are exploding and people in these states (or at least the two I and my family live in) are questioning why this is occurring.

That’s the difference - unlike your people we actually question when the folks on “our side” do something that makes no sense.
Questioning those in your own party is a concept completely lost on them. As soon as one of us points out something we disagree with you see stuff like "see, even Liberals hate Newsom..." when the reality is we simply question a choice he's made.

Free thinking should be something we all encourage, hive mind mentality is what led to Jan 6th.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think it's a touch too soon, we've seen this pattern of "jumping the gun", when there's a downward trend, the threshold for cases is crossed, but just barely, and instead of hanging tough to confirm for like 30-45 days, we do something that reverses the trend (like removing mask/vaxx verification).

D

Deleted member 215

My head's not exploding. I'm glad this is happening. Vaccination rates are high, hospitalizations are low; that seems like fair enough criteria to relax restrictions. I'm sure there will be another variant soon and we'll be shutting everything down and bringing back the mandates, but I'll enjoy this reprieve while it lasts. I got a good amount of traveling done during the Great Reprieve of Summer 2021.

Such is life in the 2020s. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom
1 2