Calling any PowerBI users/experts/vandels

U

User.191

Long shot I know, but anyone here got any experience of Microsoft's PowerBI? Between the three of us at work with about 2 weeks experience combined (rounded up to the nearest month) I feel like we're the Three Stooges trying to do brain surgery and we're desperately in search of a clue on some real basics...

I have feeling I'm gonna need to call in some bigger guns at work, but if I can save spending $3K on an outside guy to come in and nanny us for a morning, then I'd like to!

We're currently a Tableau shop and PowerBI is proving to be a mind**k for us. We'd not be in this position except we've been dropped into it by the CEO so...

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I used PowerBi for about two, maybe 3 years to look at standardized test scores…if the school district remembered to upload them. It’s an incredibly powerful program.

U

User.191

The trouble we're getting is trying to understand Datasets - it seems that once they're saved on PowerBI then they loose any ability to be further transformed.

Trying to understand if that's normal - or us.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The trouble we're getting is trying to understand Datasets - it seems that once they're saved on PowerBI then they loose any ability to be further transformed.

Trying to understand if that's normal - or us.
I think that’s by design.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I moved from using C1 components reporting tools, to the MS report service, not really the backend service, just the designer (it was all web deployed using the web viewer), but the designer was a HUGE PITA.

I had to setup a static connection (set it dynamically in the web deployment), to generate datasets (from procs), to get access to the underlying table structures, and I couldn't edit things OTF, I had to totally regenerate the datasets, etc. I realize the tool/task is a bit different, but holy f-ing hell, talk about clunky.

FWIW, I wound up rolling my own reporting tool, storing razor code in the DB, loading it dynamically, using some CSS/HTML5 rendering tricks to create really nice clean report output, but of course, that's just for pretty basic data presentment, and not particularly performant (or for analytics).

Top Bottom
1 2