Cutting the Cable Guide

U

User.45

I largely agree with almost everything you've said here.
What I don't get is how TF is it profitable for Netflix to have an interface that frustrates people on purpose.
It really does and it really does it on purpose, and they've had a superb interface up to 2016.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
What I don't get is how TF is it profitable for Netflix to have an interface that frustrates people on purpose.
It really does and it really does it on purpose, and they've had a superb interface up to 2016.

I hate having to avoid triggering a mini-preview just trying to scroll through what's on the screen when browsing the offerings.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I use the Amazon Firestick and their latest interface is terrible, you get like 5% of the screen to house 6 of your apps and the other 95% is total bullshit ads and spam. It was enough to make me drop them until I learned about the Wolf Launcher, it's the coolest thing since sliced bread, now I only see the apps I want on a black background with zero spam. It's a bit of work to install but totally worth it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
May I offer that you convert this post to a WikiPost?
Let me think about this, as this was discussed for another post, but I do like control for my posts and final editing authority. And as is I’m more than happy to add pertinent info that anyone posts And give the person credit Via the post number

And if I open it up, I expect any additions to include updates, and at some level I fear that someone will go to town editing or adding non pertinent info or end up in a situation where it turns into dueling editing.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I hate having to avoid triggering a mini-preview just trying to scroll through what's on the screen when browsing the offerings.
You can turn that off. I did and I am happy with the results.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use the Amazon Firestick and their latest interface is terrible, you get like 5% of the screen to house 6 of your apps and the other 95% is total bullshit ads and spam. It was enough to make me drop them until I learned about the Wolf Launcher, it's the coolest thing since sliced bread, now I only see the apps I want on a black background with zero spam. It's a bit of work to install but totally worth it.
Btw I did not mean to take away from your thread Favorite Streaming, which is a valid topic. My intent is to discuss streaming vs cabling and the options/choices available. Even though my desire was to cut the cable, I ended up keeping basic cable because of package discount and easier to get streaming of local channels.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This thread is relevant.
I made a few posts in that thread.

There are also a few websites out there that are entirely dedicated to cutting the cord.

I really want to try YouTube TV... 🤤
I’ll add these cable cutting links to post 1.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Btw I did not mean to take away from your thread Favorite Streaming, which is a valid topic. My intent is to discuss streaming vs cabling and the options/choices available. Even though my desire was to cut the cable, I ended up keeping basic cable because of package discount and easier to get streaming of local channels.
All good, there's plenty of room for both. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
You can turn that off. I did and I am happy with the results.

I turned that off immediately when the option became available. It was a true performance issue where the scrolling stuttered like crazy because the fucking trailers were obviously sucking the app resources, sometimes crippling it while scrolling. At the time I was running an Apple TV 4th gen. Turning it off solved the problem 100%.

U

User.191

HBO- It looks like HBO Go has been replace with HBO Max. If I understand it correctly, HBO requires a cable provider.
Yes it’s been replaced, but HBO is also available as a standalone package.
There’s also SHowtime, Peacock, Paramount+ and Starz.

Britbox and Acorn both specialize in mainly British content and are available standalone, or can be bundled into packages such as AppleTV or Prime.

Speaking - AppleTV+ and Amazon’s Prime are missing!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes it’s been replaced, but HBO is also available as a standalone package.
There’s also SHowtime, Peacock, Paramount+ and Starz.

Britbox and Acorn both specialize in mainly British content and are available standalone, or can be bundled into packages such as AppleTV or Prime.

Speaking - AppleTV+ and Amazon’s Prime are missing!
The goal of this guide and channel section is not to list every channel out there (hundreds, maybe thousands?) only to mention them if there is something specifically of interest. I did add Apple TV, Amazon Prime, Britbox, and Acorn. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed my internet is out. On my Arris Surfboard SBG7400AC2 Cable Modem/Router the middle blue “online” light is out. I own, instead of rent my modem.
  • So I try to reset it myself. Unplug, replug. No help
  • Check The Suddenlink account for outages- no outages listed.
  • Call the 800 number and think I end up talking to someone in Eastern Europe. They walk me though a reset again.
  • I ask them if they can communicate with my cable modem, they say no.
  • I ask them if there is an outage, they so no. Note, I’m signed up for text alerts when there is an outage, no alert. Also note that feature has never worked.
So I say SHIT as they make an an appointment for a techie to stop by the house on Saturday! So now I am wondering, is my privately owned cable modem screwed up and should I order a replacement I can get tomorrow from Amazon that includes a free return to eliminate the issue of a bad modem? The issue with this is you have to call the cable company and register the modem for it to work.

While I’m pondering this, I go back to Suddenlink (on my phone) and there it is, an outage effecting my area. &$#@!!! Bastards! So I have to call Suddenlink and cancel my appointment. Here in the Houston suburbs with Suddenlink it’s not that unusual to lose service, where in Minnesota, we hardly ever lost service. At least I don’t have to wait till Sat to maybe get my service back.

Then I walk outside and the 811 people are marking my front yard for buried utilities. ”What’s up guys?” I ask. They are marking the entire street for a new fiber optic line to go in, buried in our front lawn by a new company, some name I don’t recognize or can remember, “Teshie“ “Techue” something like that*. I wonder when they sink a line in, they must include a junction on front of each house for future hookups?

* Looked it up:

947BA8FA-FC6B-4B8C-B334-51B918EE6E92.png
Anyone heard of them?​

I have no clue how long before this cable/internet line can accept customers, but there is a very good chance it will be adios Suddenlink, if the price is reasonable. And as a new service trying to steal customers, my guess is that prices will be good. :unsure:

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fiber Optics just got run through our neighborhood, the company is TACHUS, their pricing is:
  • 100 MBPs- $65/month, symmetrical speeds.
  • 500 MBPs- $80/month, symmetrical speeds.
  • 1000 MBPs- $90/month, symmetrical speeds.
Update: Anyone familiar with TACHUS? I’m fed up with my cable company Sudden link that has been providing haphazard internet for the last 10 years.

I’m currently paying $65/month for 400 MBPS, but, this is with about a 50MBPS upload, so this switch would be a significant upgrade for online backups. Competitive?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

U

User.45

Fiber Optics just got run through our neighborhood, the company is TACHUS, their pricing is:
  • 100 MBPs- $65/month, symmetrical speeds.
  • 500 MBPs- $80/month, symmetrical speeds.
  • 1000 MBPs- $90/month, symmetrical speeds.
Update: Anyone familiar with TACHUS? I’m fed up with my cable company Sudden link that has been providing haphazard internet for the last 10 years.

I’m currently paying $65/month for 400 MBPS, but, this is with about a 50MBPS upload, so this switch would be a significant upgrade for online backups. Competitive?

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Never heard of this company, but I'll say I've had FiOS for a year and that was hands down the best internet I've ever had in the USA.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Never heard of this company, but I'll say I've had FiOS for a year and that was hands down the best internet I've ever had in the USA.
Seconded, I've had FIOS for a year before moving out of Oregon and it was a great experience.

U

User.45

Seconded, I've had FIOS for a year before moving out of Oregon and it was a great experience.
I'll say in Eastern Europe you can get cheaper internet for higher reliability (at least in cities) and 2-3x the options for ISPs, because it's not a cartel there.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I'm on local fiber, and it's been nothing but smooth sailing since I began subscribing.

I'd go with the 500Mb connection, personally. It's what I've been using for the past 5 years, and I've yet to come close to saturating the line. You'd have to be a really, REALLY heavy user to justify a full gigabit in my opinion.

Top Bottom
1 2