Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I guess the question is how were ranges determined. I know I have never achieved stated MPG from any car I have ever bought. A lot has to do with driving style and terrain and I know I have more of a lead foot than most.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I guess the question is how were ranges determined. I know I have never achieved stated MPG from any car I have ever bought. A lot has to do with driving style and terrain and I know I have more of a lead foot than most.
They deliberately tweaked the software to cover it up, it's a pretty aregious charge. I've fallen victim to this and had to rush to charging when it suddenly dropped like a rock after claiming it had much higher percentage/miles left to go. There are certain factors that you always consider, weather, speed, etc. but even in the best of conditions it's wildly misleading. I now just assume it'll be off by 20% when taking a trip just to be safe.

Tesla has been exaggerating its vehicles' potential driving distance for years by rigging their range-estimating software, report says​

Your Tesla's range estimator might be lying to you.

A report from Reuters exposing an entire team of people hired at Tesla to suppress range complaints revealed that Elon Musk's electric vehicle company has rigged its range estimation algorithms to show drivers more aspirational range projections on a full charge.

A source told Reuters that when a Tesla battery falls below 50% of its maximum range, the algorithm adjusts to give a more accurate picture of the remaining mileage on the battery. This adjustment was designed to prevent Tesla drivers from getting stranded, the source told Reuters.

To add to this, a "safety buffer" allows for about 15 miles of additional range even after the battery reads as empty, the source told Reuters.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_2974EEFD5E3E-1.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Can you imagine being a long term employee there and then having to deal with people after Musk went full Nazi? I don't envy them.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you imagine being a long term employee there and then having to deal with people after Musk went full Nazi? I don't envy them.
Do these guys get paid on commission?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, those are not right. Seems to be Musk style, though.
The guy responded eventually. Told me he’d provide feedback to the service department. He said the built-in apps are just as good as CarPlay. And he said I am entitled to my opinion (presumably about Musk).

So I blocked his number on my phone

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The guy responded eventually. Told me he’d provide feedback to the service department. He said the built-in apps are just as good as CarPlay. And he said I am entitled to my opinion (presumably about Musk).

So I blocked his number on my phone
Ridiculous.

I'm having my share of issues as well, it's gone back to turning on Sentry mode while in my garage and no longer automatically changes back to my seating position without manually changing the profile. It's particularly scary when I get in the car and it automatically changes to my wife's, pinning me against the steering wheel.

I'll probably have to take it in to get these things sorted but it makes me miss the days of a non-digital car with simple tactile controls. I personally don't think a convoluted (and in many ways nonsensical) touchscreen menu is something I want on my next car.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I'll probably have to take it in to get these things sorted but it makes me miss the days of a non-digital car with simple tactile controls. I personally don't think a convoluted (and in many ways nonsensical) touchscreen menu is something I want on my next car.
Let me design the next EV. It will have a USB-C/lightning dock for your phone, and instead of a touch screen, it will use your phone to handle voice commands. Of course, you will have to give your car a name so that you can use Siri for the other stuff you need her for.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score

Tesla has been exaggerating its vehicles' potential driving distance for years by rigging their range-estimating software, report says​

Kind of like the algorithms they use to jigger the number of wifi bars your phone shows.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Cybertruck looks like a dumpster from behind.

d7dxq6xglvyb1.jpg
Oof that is butt ugly, IMO.

Questions:
Does anyone like the sleek flat metal panel look of the tailgate?
Are those scrapes on the stainless steel?
Does it actually mar up that easily?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oof that is butt ugly, IMO.

Questions:
Does anyone like the sleek flat metal panel look of the tailgate?
Are those scrapes on the stainless steel?
Does it actually mar up that easily?
Looks to me like light reflecting off the back. I’ve seen a lot of these driving around, and no noticeable marring or scratching. There are body panel gaps that are very noticeable on some of the test cars driving around here, and they look like they were hammered together by cavemen, But I’d imagine the steel will hold up reasonably well.