Firefox on Mac

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
What's up w/ the latest version of Firefox browser for Mac? this past week I've had to switch to either Chrome (for FedEx) or Safari (for Audible) because websites accessed via Firefox on a Mac would either not allow login or else would not behave properly.

For instance w/ Audible, Firefox suddenly decided that the file format of Audible downloads was mp4 not aax. WTF? Using Safari resolved it.

It's not clear to me of course whether what's happening is that Mozilla's amped-up anti-tracking is starting to trip up assorted nasty code in some websites' scripts and of course the websites don't feel like altering what they've been doing.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Everyone's coding for Chromium based browser compliance these days. Firefox and Safari are the only alternatives left, and aren't as widely supported anymore.
This really bugs me. Google Chrome has become the new Internet Explorer. A bunch of proprietary features only available in their browser. Then web developers use these Chrome-only features instead of writing code that works in all standards-compliant browsers.

And in regards to Google’s monopoly power, I believe Chrome compatibility factors into your pagerank on Google searches. Yep, they need to be broken up.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
And in regards to Google’s monopoly power, I believe Chrome compatibility factors into your pagerank on Google searches. Yep, they need to be broken up.

I won't disagree, but Google can always say that while their standard is the most used, they don't fully hold a monopoly on the browser market. You have Edge and Brave, both decently popular, that are entirely divorced from Google, save for using the same web renderer.

lizkat

Reaction score
This really bugs me. Google Chrome has become the new Internet Explorer. A bunch of proprietary features only available in their browser. Then web developers use these Chrome-only features instead of writing code that works in all standards-compliant browsers.

Yah FedEx tech support with a straight face said "yeah you need to use Chrome, or else... " --are u ready-- "else IE4 if you have it."

Seriously? IE4 is still a thing? I get keeping vintage stuff around but not when it comes to accessing the internet. Might as well put up a sign on your gear like they used to do in little village stores: "Gone to lunch. Please pay and make change for yourselves, there's a cigar box under the counter."

I won't disagree, but Google can always say that while their standard is the most used, they don't fully hold a monopoly on the browser market. You have Edge and Brave, both decently popular, that are entirely divorced from Google, save for using the same web renderer.

Maybe I'll give one of those a try, I can't stand getting any more entangled w/ Google than i already am w gmail. F Chrome.

I hate running into this stuff, always happens when I launch some task that should take two clicks and moving on to what's next... but instead turns into an investigation or queuing up for a tech support chat. Like all i wanted to do at Fedex was check details of a then pending delivery. Ended up getting locked out of my account until I talked w their techs bc Firefox wouldn't let me log in despite having correct credentials. Bummer!

Renzatic

Reaction score
Maybe I'll give one of those a try, I can't stand getting any more entangled w/ Google than i already am w gmail. F Chrome.

I flip between Edge and Firefox myself. Never had any complaints out of either of them.

Edge does supposedly collect some telemetry data on you, but it might be Windows specific, since it uses Windows services to do so, and it's nothing nearly as invasive as Google's data mining.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I am talking about their search engine monopoly. Hence the anti-competitive behavior to use the search results to favor sites optimized for Chrome.

Renzatic

Reaction score
I am talking about their search engine monopoly. Hence the anti-competitive behavior to use the search results to favor sites optimized for Chrome.

Hey, there's always Bing.

...don't diss it. It's decent enough, and I get $5 in Amazon gift cards every month through Microsoft's we'll-pay-you-to-love-us program.

lizkat

Reaction score

I default to Duck Duck Go, think they've improved well over time. Once in awhile I'll launch Safari and give the same terms a shot w/ Google but usually I've been specific enough that I'm gonna get the same or nearly same results.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Is that for real? You're kidding, right?

It's real. Microsoft Rewards. You get so many points per day for using their products, like Edge and Bing, and you can trade them in for gift cards and stuff after you accrue so much.

lizkat

Reaction score
It's real. Microsoft Rewards. You get so many points per day for using their products, like Edge and Bing, and you can trade them in for gift cards and stuff after you accrue so much.

It’s for real. They have rewards for searching, including gift cards to Amazon, Microsoft Store, Target, even some restaurants.

Ah so... it all gets filed under "if you can't give away an operating system any more, try flat out bribery."

Meanwhile in exchange for my taking their baksheesh, they scarf up every data point at the juncture of my identity and everything about which I've ever sought info.

Well after this lifetime of being a dilettante (not to say jack of all trades) and an omnivorously curious layabout, good luck to them.

Maybe they can get a commission on helping sell me a brushhogging machine or a washer-dryer combo or maybe even a trip to the hospital considering my recent searches for stuff like "what kinda weed is THAT now and should I burn my clothes after I touch it or just call an ambulance?"

Renzatic

Reaction score
"what kinda weed is THAT now and should I burn my clothes after I touch it or just call an ambulance?"

The way I see it, if it's not bleeding, and the skin around the exposure site isn't turning black, then I'm probably okay.

lizkat

Reaction score
The way I see it, if it's not bleeding, and the skin around the exposure site isn't turning black, then I'm probably okay.

Yeah. Some of those noxious weeds that can turn up in edge habitats between fields and forest are phototoxic, like cow parsnip and giant hogweed... and if you don't realize it, and stay out in the sun, you can end up with pretty nasty infection after the sun has its way with the weed oils and your skin.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Yeah. Some of those noxious weeds that can turn up in edge habitats between fields and forest are phototoxic, like cow parsnip and giant hogweed... and if you don't realize it, and stay out in the sun, you can end up with pretty nasty infection after the sun has its way with the weed oils and your skin.

I guess I'm fortunate that I've never run into anything more noxious than poison oak, and yellowjackets in my day.

Though I've heard about this one weed in, I believe South Carolina or thereabouts, that's apparently so toxic you'll suffer from something akin to 3rd degree burns if you're unfortunate enough to brush up against it.

...that's like some Australian level crap right there. What's it doing here?

lizkat

Reaction score
I guess I'm fortunate that I've never run into anything more noxious than poison oak, and yellowjackets in my day.

Though I've heard about this one weed in, I believe South Carolina or thereabouts, that's apparently so toxic you'll suffer from something akin to 3rd degree burns if you're unfortunate enough to brush up against it.

...that's like some Australian level crap right there. What's it doing here?

Yeah that's giant hogweed or one of its nasty cousins, and it's not limited to South Carolina for sure. Came here early 20th century from the Caucasus of Russia between the Caspian and Black Seas.

According to the DEC, the toxic plant grows in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Heh, and here we are in a thread about Firefox browser and its nasty cousins. Guess the sidebar wasn't that off topic.

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score

Wait, isn't it open source?
Seriously? IE4 is still a thing? I get keeping vintage stuff around but not when it comes to accessing the internet.
I have no clue why they insist on using Internet Explorer 4 (a web browser that was released almost 25 years ago!). Were they actually referring to Internet Explorer 11? If so, that would make more sense.
Hence the anti-competitive behavior to use the search results to favor sites optimized for Chrome.
Source?
Hey, there's always Bing.

...don't diss it. It's decent enough, and I get $5 in Amazon gift cards every month through Microsoft's we'll-pay-you-to-love-us program.
Yeah, Bing is great for the rewards. You can use it to pay off your Xbox Game Pass subscription.
I default to Duck Duck Go, think they've improved well over time. Once in awhile I'll launch Safari and give the same terms a shot w/ Google but usually I've been specific enough that I'm gonna get the same or nearly same results.
Funnily enough, DuckDuckGo is powered by Bing for its search results.

As a Safari user, I feel your pain though. I tested out Mozilla Firefox just a couple of weeks ago. Target's website refused to load correctly. To make matters worse, the position of the cursor couldn't be placed after a citation in Wikipedia, and XenForo (yes, TalkedAbout is affected by this) has very similar issues.

Top Bottom
1 2