Google asking for verification

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I just tried logging into one of my Google accounts and a verification window came up asking me to enter a phone number to get a text message with a verification code. If they already had a phone number from when I set up the account, sending me a text message would verify that it's really me trying to log in. But I don't believe that I ever associated a phone number with this account so asking me to enter a phone number for verification doesn't make sense - they wouldn't need to ask if they knew my phone number.

I checked their policy and found the following. I did not try to do any of these things, just log in. What gives?

To help protect your account and data, you must verify it’s you when you complete sensitive actions. This is Google’s approach to provide multi-layered security.
Sensitive actions in your account settings:
View activity saved in your Google Account.
Change your password.
View saved passwords.
Turn on 2-Step Verification.
Download your data.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I just tried logging into one of my Google accounts and a verification window came up asking me to enter a phone number to get a text message with a verification code. If they already had a phone number from when I set up the account, sending me a text message would verify that it's really me trying to log in. But I don't believe that I ever associated a phone number with this account so asking me to enter a phone number for verification doesn't make sense - they wouldn't need to ask if they knew my phone number.

I checked their policy and found the following. I did not try to do any of these things, just log in. What gives?

To help protect your account and data, you must verify it’s you when you complete sensitive actions. This is Google’s approach to provide multi-layered security.
Sensitive actions in your account settings:
View activity saved in your Google Account.
Change your password.
View saved passwords.
Turn on 2-Step Verification.
Download your data.
Google is turning on 2FA and will require it going forward. I thought that this was to be completed in 2022, but maybe it got delayed on the rollout? 🤷‍♂️

Is Google forcing 2-factor authentication?

Google says that it will continue to automatically enroll users in 2FA in 2022, but the company encourages users not to wait and enable 2FA themselves. If you're unfamiliar with 2FA, we recently highlighted Google Authenticator, which is a popular 2FA option that uses time-based one-time passwords (TOTP). Feb 8, 2022

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Good to know I don’t think I enabled it either

Edit: still not forcing me, probably do it anyway

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2