Gurman: no new Mac Pro/Studio till 2025

Seems like a cost measure, it probably just doesn’t make sense to refresh those as often. NBD, IMO.

Gurman did make that claim back in April, but I can't find anywhere in this more recent article they linked, from May 19, 2024, in which he said that ( https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...cloud-and-on-device-llms-openai-deal-lwdj5pkz ). All I see is this set of questions at the end of the article (I've included the email link in the screenshot so that you can tell it's the end of the article), with no associated answers:

1716168099242.png

I would expect M4 to arrive in MacBook Pros this year, right? It would be crazy if it didn’t. Well, M4 and M4 Pro/Max.

gurman these days seems a bit all over the place. Might have been a trend for several years though lol

anybody see any M4 package teardowns yet?
It usually takes a few months after release for TechInsights to post something on their blog. I forget the name of the other (French?) firm, but last I saw, they clamped down on their free content. Sometimes an enterprising individual on twitter delids and strips the metal layers for a die shot. I try to keep an eye out, but I’d be surprised if that happened so soon. They’d really have to be on a mission.

Edit: I don’t recommend searching the birdsite for die shot unless you want to see some guy jerking off. Anyway, (and entendre aside) I’m curious about what part of the package are you interested in?

Last edited:
From the same article...

1716186835493.png

BY 2025...
Yeah, that's just claiming the Mac M4 transition will be complete by 2025 (which hardly takes a crystal ball); it doesn't say anything about whether or not we'll see an M4 Studio and/or MP at WWDC.

Mark doesn't anything 99% till 2weeks to a week before an event.

Most thought M3 Pro and Max won't even show up in late october. Mark didn't even say the iPad Pro will get M4 2 weeks before the event.

My guess is that all headless desktops are still on M2. We might see these updated to the M4 family at WWDC.

gurman these days seems a bit all over the place. Might have been a trend for several years though lol
In fairness to Gurman, he didn't make the prediction about the Studio/Pro MacRumors said he did, at least not in the linked article. He may have written that they aren’t coming until next year elsewhere and the prediction could well be true but as far as I could tell it wasn’t in this particular newsletter. Here he wasn’t really focusing on the hardware at all, explicitly so, and what he wrote was so vague as to be useless. As @exoticspice1 said wait to see what he says this week/next week. His accuracy is only truly reliable a few weeks out.

Upon closer examination, I see that when Gurman wrote this:

And the M4 is headed to every Mac in an end-to-end overhaul of the lineup by 2025....

.....he included a link to an April 11, 2024 article in which he said the M4 Studio would come mid-2025:

"Apple is aiming to release the updated computers beginning late this year and extending into early next year. There will be new iMacs, a low-end 14-inch MacBook Pro, high-end 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros, and Mac minis — all with M4 chips....Apple is then planning to follow up with more M4 Macs throughout 2025. That includes updates to the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air by the spring, the Mac Studio around the middle of the year, and the Mac Pro later in 2025."

So apparently he's still predicting no M4 Studio for another year.

Here is his predicted timeline laid out more clearly, from a subsequent April 14 article (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ac-pro?srnd=undefined&leadSource=uverify wall)
"Here are the Mac models Apple is working on and when it expects to introduce them (as always, release plans could shift):
  1. A low-end 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M4, coming around the end of 2024.
  2. A 24-inch iMac with the M4, also expected around the end of the year.
  3. New 14-inch and 16-inch high-end MacBook Pros with M4 Pro/Max chips, due between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
  4. A Mac mini in both M4 and M4 Pro configurations, coming between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
  5. New 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Airs, slated for around spring 2025.
  6. A Mac Studio with a high-end M4 chip, coming around the middle of 2025.
  7. A Mac Pro with an M4 Ultra chip, due in the second half of 2025."
And you've probably seen this, but here are his chip predictions from that article:

"The M4 chip line includes an entry-level version dubbed Donan, more powerful models named Brava and a top-end processor codenamed Hidra. The company is planning to highlight the AI processing capabilities of the components and how they’ll integrate with the next version of macOS, which will be announced in June at Apple’s annual developer conference.

The Donan chip is coming to the entry-level MacBook Pro, the new MacBook Airs and a low-end version of the Mac mini, while the Brava chips will run the high-end MacBook Pros and a pricier version of the Mac mini. For the Mac Studio, Apple is testing versions with both a still-unreleased M3-era chip and a variation of the M4 Brava processor.

The highest-end Apple desktop, the Mac Pro, is set to get the new Hidra chip. The Mac Pro remains the lower-selling model in the company’s computer lineup, but it has a vocal fan base. After some customers complained about the specifications of Apple’s in-house chips, the company is looking to beef up that machine next year.

As part of the upgrades, Apple is considering allowing its highest-end Mac desktops to support as much as a half-terabyte of memory. The current Mac Studio and Mac Pro top out at 192 gigabytes — far less capacity than on Apple’s previous Mac Pro, which used an Intel Corp. processor. The earlier machine worked with off-the-shelf memory that could be added later and handle as much as 1.5 terabytes. With Apple’s in-house chips, the memory is more deeply integrated into the main processor, making it harder to add more."

Of course, this is getting pretty desperate on my part. It's bad enough trying to read Apple's tea leaves; now I'm trying to read Gurman's tea leaves about Apple's tea leaves. Then again, the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Last edited:
Obviously I have no knowledge of Apple’s plans, but I do think it will be very difficult to wait until 2025 to update the Studio and Mac Pro.

Currently the M3 Max is really close to the M2 Ultra in multi-core performance. On certain benchmarks (Blender) the M3 Max beats the M2 Ultra in gpu performance. I expect an M4 Max arriving in a mbp this winter will outperform the M2 Ultra.

Can they really continue to sell the Studio and Mac Pro until mid-2025 if this occurs??? I can’t imagine they will, so it raises the question, if that is their plan, then why bother selling high end desktops at all? Just get out of the market.

I don’t think they want that and so I’m going to guess that Gurman is wrong and we will see the Studio updated at WWDC or soon after.

We only have one iteration but so far it has been updated in two successive years. M1 Studio in 2022 (March?) and the M2 Studio in 2023 (June). Not enough for a pattern, but enough for a guess!

M4 Max laptops beating current gen Mac Pro with M2 Ultra feels very awkward. But I could see a scenario where M4 and M4 Pro come out in MacBook Air, Mac mini and iMac. MacBook Pro, studio and Mac Pro are not touched. Then in March 25, Max and ultra come out and the rest are upgraded.

M4 Max laptops beating current gen Mac Pro with M2 Ultra feels very awkward. But I could see a scenario where M4 and M4 Pro come out in MacBook Air, Mac mini and iMac. MacBook Pro, studio and Mac Pro are not touched. Then in March 25, Max and ultra come out and the rest are upgraded.
i don’t think apple really cares if the Pro and Ultra are actually slower than MBP for awhile. They prioritize the products that sell well. If ultra sales drop to zero for a few months, it doesn‘t really matter to them.

i don’t think apple really cares if the Pro and Ultra are actually slower than MBP for awhile. They prioritize the products that sell well. If ultra sales drop to zero for a few months, it doesn‘t really matter to them.
I don't think it would be a complete deterrent for Apple. But I still think it's an awkward state to be in. They could definitely land there - I mean, there was a time when you could buy a current gen iMac that would smoke a current gen (2013 at the time) Mac Pro, sooo

What about the Max Studio--roughly what kind of sales numbers does it have in comparison to the MBP's?

Back