How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Ok, so I have taken some heat for criticizing those who make the rules but don't follow them and for just plain stupid rules.

But does this make sense to anyone?

So a player who has NY as their home team (a member of the Nets, Knicks, Mets, Yankees, Rangers (not sure about Islanders)) can't play in home games if they are not vaccinated. Fine, no problem. But an entire visiting team could in theory not be vaccinated and be allowed to play in the city. But a local player can attend the games and sit in the stands if they bought a ticket.

Someone please explain how this makes sense.

And this really isn't about Kyrie not wanting to get vaxxed. This is about the rule and the application of it.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Someone please explain how this makes sense.

I won't even try. My theory is one of two things. There's a good reason we don't know about. Or coordinating logistics on such a large scale is a difficult job and sometimes things aren't going to make sense.

Or a third option. The government is involved. We had a plumbing issue last week. A drain from the kitchen sink was broken somewhere along the way and draining under the house. It was picked up by another drain for rainwater and such and sent off to the street. Since it was sink water with a garbage disposal, it had an unpleasant smell. So the city was out multiple times to let us know we needed to have it fixed immediately or face fines. They even tested what was draining on the street to see if it had sewage or not. So we jumped right on it, got it fixed immediately. Today the city calls and tells us we can't have any of the work done (that was completed last week) until we get a permit. :rolleyes: No one (city people, plumber, plumbing company) mentioned a permit until today.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So it looks like Mayor Adams changed his mind in like 2 days and will allow unvaxxed "home" athletes to play.

Reading this article, it specifically states:

"Hometown players had an unfair disadvantage to those who were coming to visit," Adams said of the mandate, which excused only non-NYC residents previously. "It's unimaginable -- treating our performers differently because they lived and played for home teams. Unacceptable. It's a self-imposed competitive disadvantage."

That doesn't seem right. Kyrie, or any Yankees or Mets player could have simply moved to NJ or out of the city limits onto LI. So while that might explain why Kyrie couldn't play at MSG if he were a city resident, it doesn't explain why he didn't just move if it was only based on residency.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Wait. What?

Employees at Tesla’s Shanghai factory are reportedly being forced to live at work following a three-week shutdown due to a recent outbreak of Covid-19 cases in China. The company will hand out sleeping bags and mattresses to its employees, who will be made to sleep on the floor while operating in a so-called ‘closed-loop’ system, according to Bloomberg.

Tesla is one of several manufacturers in Shanghai that are preparing to resume operations after the government enforced a lockdown on the populous city on March 28. But multinational companies have been putting pressure on the government to ease its restrictions so that they can go back to production, even if it means that their workers can’t leave the premises.

The electric car manufacturer sent out a memo to its employees that details some of the conditions that they will be forced to live under, according to reporters at Bloomberg who say they viewed that memo. Tesla will reportedly hand out a sleeping bag and mattress to each employee, there will be designated areas on the floor for people to sleep on, in addition to areas for showering, catering and entertainment. Employees will be given three meals a day, and an allowance of 400 yuan (or the equivalent of $63).

Tesla will also follow regulations to avoid the spread of Covid-19 by requiring employees to take a nuclei acid test once a day for the first three days, have their temperatures checked twice a day and wash their hands four times a day.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Biden administration is reportedly planning to release bivalent booster vaccines (BA.4 & BA.5 Omicron sub-variants) fairly soon:

Eric Topol tweeted a table of pros and cons:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1562285788045266944/
I’m going to take that booster hard. Real hard. If there’s any chance a shot every 6 months or so will prevent me from getting sick, I’ll take it.

”May add to booster hesitancy” is a strange take. It’s like “don’t tell people to wear masks, because we’ll run out” and “don’t recommend a booster, because then people will think the vaccine doesn’t work.”

”Shows agility of FDA” is also a strange take. Who is making healthcare decisions based on whether the FDA looks “agile?”

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m going to take that booster hard. Real hard. If there’s any chance a shot every 6 months or so will prevent me from getting sick, I’ll take it.

”May add to booster hesitancy” is a strange take. It’s like “don’t tell people to wear masks, because we’ll run out” and “don’t recommend a booster, because then people will think the vaccine doesn’t work.”

”Shows agility of FDA” is also a strange take. Who is making healthcare decisions based on whether the FDA looks “agile?”
I classify people into three groups: (1) Rabid anti-vaxxers who won't accept vaccination no matter what, (2) individuals who don't question much and go ahead with little prompting, and (3) people in between, who may be the majority. Some in the third group, on hearing experts question the value of new vaccine formulations, may be more hesitant to accept these and future boosters.

The speed with which the FDA makes decisions affects how soon vaccines and other drugs become available, which may be more of an issue in a rapidly-changing environment like SARS-CoV-2. The FDA is traditionally very conservative and slow-moving, so agility while still maintaining safety and efficacy standards is good.

I like the last two entries, that say "It just might work, but then again, it might not."
I think this just reflects Dr. Topol's skepticism about the bivalent vaccines because of limited evidence. They will probably be released without much if any data showing the levels of neutralizing antibodies they elicit in humans or their real-world efficacy in reducing illness and hospitalization. Also, unlike initial vaccine testing in 2020, the population of potential subjects is now much more immunologically diverse, so it's much harder to control for variables.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Biden administration is reportedly planning to release bivalent booster vaccines (BA.4 & BA.5 Omicron sub-variants) fairly soon:
And I will be first in line to get it. As @Cmaier said, I will take every one that comes along if it means being less likely to be sick. Every six months? Ok.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I'm likely going to get the next vaccine as I tend to not have any side effects / reactions - but my fiancee most definitely will not be getting the next one, as she had some pretty awful fall-out from her 3rd Pfizer. (I suggested she should go Moderna, but she's just unwilling to go there).

Can't say that I fault people that have been vaccinated up to now and contemplating skipping the booster though. All evidence is the BA.5 is even milder than Omicron...and so contagious that we're all likely to get it. At this point, our existing immune systems (for most of us) may be enough?

Now, whenever big Pharma gets around to making vaccines using this discovery? Yep, all in!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I may be ageist, but on christmas eve he turns 82 y/o – what ever other endeavours he intends to pursue will most likely be pursued with somewhat less vigor, unless he is to embark on a thorough study of his grandkids.
Some high profile people have the opportunities and are driven for their entire lives. For myself, on retirement I became a lay around bum who does stay active and recently discovered an interest in creating a VR environment, but don’t hold your breath. It’s slow going and my status as an unknown cog should not change. :unsure:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I classify people into three groups: (1) Rabid anti-vaxxers who won't accept vaccination no matter what, (2) individuals who don't question much and go ahead with little prompting, and (3) people in between, who may be the majority. Some in the third group, on hearing experts question the value of new vaccine formulations, may be more hesitant to accept these and future boosters.

The speed with which the FDA makes decisions affects how soon vaccines and other drugs become available, which may be more of an issue in a rapidly-changing environment like SARS-CoV-2. The FDA is traditionally very conservative and slow-moving, so agility while still maintaining safety and efficacy standards is good.

I think this just reflects Dr. Topol's skepticism about the bivalent vaccines because of limited evidence. They will probably be released without much if any data showing the levels of neutralizing antibodies they elicit in humans or their real-world efficacy in reducing illness and hospitalization. Also, unlike initial vaccine testing in 2020, the population of potential subjects is now much more immunologically diverse, so it's much harder to control for variables.
Not a backhanded accusation directed at you, but I will remind people that vaccines are a slam dunk, they changed the world for the better, they are proven for over a century, they are tested before release and for COVID and the small % of issues as compared to the overall benefit, they are another another slam dunk.

How is the COVID 19 vaccination track record so far? I’ve seen nothing that indicates dangerous practices or lack of effectiveness. My impression is that it had to be fast tracked due to the dire effect on our society, exaggerated because of STUPID and misinformation purposely directed at STUPID with a Right Wing political agenda behind it.

Most of the COVID STUPID we have seen originated from the ass of Donald Trump and his Party’s collective asses who have tried to diminish and tear down existing authority so it can be replaced by means of Supreme Corrupt, Fantasyland and Self Destructive narratives designed to replace The United States of America with a fascist regime.

Look to Russia (Donny’s favorite strong man country that is ripping apart a neighbor just because Putin is an immoral megliomaniac, Donny’s idol) if you want a clear example of where we are headed if this Political Poison is allowed to succeed. COVID is just a sideshow as compared to the active undermining of our elections as being perpetrated by the Grand Old Poison.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm likely going to get the next vaccine as I tend to not have any side effects / reactions - but my fiancee most definitely will not be getting the next one, as she had some pretty awful fall-out from her 3rd Pfizer. (I suggested she should go Moderna, but she's just unwilling to go there).

Can't say that I fault people that have been vaccinated up to now and contemplating skipping the booster though. All evidence is the BA.5 is even milder than Omicron...and so contagious that we're all likely to get it. At this point, our existing immune systems (for most of us) may be enough?

Now, whenever big Pharma gets around to making vaccines using this discovery? Yep, all in!

Check out the names of the scientists leading the teams working on this stuff. To me they also would seem to represent jointly an antidote to the xenophobia and nationalism popping up lately all over the globe... if only we lived in an even slightly more rational world.

The discovery is the latest from a longstanding and productive collaboration between Dr. Subramaniam’s team at UBC and colleagues at the University of Pittsburgh, led by Drs. Mitko Dimitrov and Wei Li. The team in Pittsburgh has been screening large antibody libraries and testing their effectiveness against COVID-19, while the UBC team has been using cryo-EM to study the molecular structure and characteristics of the spike protein.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

400 people die every day in the U.S. from BA.5 or BA.4. From what I hear, none of those who died were fully vaccinated and boosted. Why be one of those 400 people when you can get a shot every now and again and prevent it?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
400 people die every day in the U.S. from BA.5 or BA.4. From what I hear, none of those who died were fully vaccinated and boosted. Why be one of those 400 people when you can get a shot every now and again and prevent it?
100% this. It's a minor inconvenience that pretty much guarantees you won't die from it, this is a no brainer for me. It will be my 5th shot and I'll be first in line for it.

Top Bottom
1 2