I like nice headphones too, but... $550

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
You know there are more expensive headphones for music production but that’s not what these are for. I’d go as far as saying they are probably shit for music production and color the sound to the point that the end result would sound like garbage on any other headphones or speaker system, much like trying to do production on a Bose (Better Sound Through Marketing) home theater system.

Missed this one. Headphones designed for music production have totally different qualities. First off, you probably can't plug them into your computer's headphone jack and expect results, even with an adapter for the headphone jack. They tend to have much higher impedance. Secondly, they're tuned to be neutral, not bassy or anything. The goal is to depict things as they are intended, according to a reference model. You probably wouldn't want studio headphones to enjoy music any more than you would want a broadcast display for a monitor.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dunno, I got a pair of wireless beats with my iPad pro for "free." It's okayish for free, it's garbage for actual money. For example, it supports one device, cannot replay and charge at the same time, no wired audio option so on and so forth.

Wireless headsets are the mp3 of this generation. It give you a new level of freedom with a lot of sound quality compromise that only those hear who actually have heard the old tech at its height. It will catch up one day, and that day seems to be near, but had not arrived yet.

No highs or lows, must be Bose per the old audiophile proverb. Most of the headphones that come close to adequacy for mixing are awful to listen to in my experience.

Like the legendary Yamaha NS-10 studio monitors that were widely hated at release but then became the industry standard because they are so difficult to get a good sound of that if you do then you probably nailed a great mix. I worked for a studio in the past that had a pair of those just because clients requested hearing the mix on those speakers so frequently.

U

User.45

Like the legendary Yamaha NS-10 studio monitors that were widely hated at release but then became the industry standard because they are so difficult to get a good sound of that if you do then you probably nailed a great mix. I worked for a studio in the past that had a pair of those just because clients requested hearing the mix on those speakers so frequently.
Good old 2000s. :) Everyone I know who actually worked with these hated them:D

Edit: they discontinued it in 2001, then people started buying up the new version...Then they realized that the new version is shitty, only to be reminded by those that all of these are awful:)

Last edited by a moderator:

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m nearsighted and have hearing issues. When it comes to television and headphone purchases I go functional. Btw I just turned 60 so that goes for anything with a lifetime warranty too. I don’t need to pay the premium.

Happy Birthday!

I believe an obligatory "let me tell you, you whippersnappers, what I could have bought for a nickel when I was your age" story is in order. :ROFLMAO:

U

User.45

WT actual F?? That has to be a parody.
Nope. It is real:D

Add them to this:

For this money, you could probably get drones that could hover your MacPro next to and your MagicDisplay over your desk:D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well, yeah, but when you're talking about $5000-6000 displays, and $10,000 computers, then stands, wheels, etc., just don't follow a consumer pricing model, so it seems a little absurd.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of headphones, I wound up getting the wife a pair Sony WHXB900N (in black), just a killer deal at Amazon (50% off), then the little G was talking about wanting some over ear wireless, so I saw the Amazon exclusive blue WHXB900Ns available again, so I ordered another pair :D So both the ladies will get them, blue for the wife, black/goth for the daughter :D

U

User.45

A review from a non audio phile

Speaking of headphones, I wound up getting the wife a pair Sony WHXB900N (in black), just a killer deal at Amazon (50% off), then the little G was talking about wanting some over ear wireless, so I saw the Amazon exclusive blue WHXB900Ns available again, so I ordered another pair :D So both the ladies will get them, blue for the wife, black/goth for the daughter :D
Yup. It's a decent review, the definite conclusion: you can buy a Sony WHXB900N AND a true audiophile headphone like a HD600/6xx and if you're lucky you can even slap a used Apogee Groove on top for the price of the Airpods max, which makes the deal simple.

However, this guy definitely doesn't understand noise cancelling headset very well so his remarks on sound quality are irrelevant.
Specifically, noise cancellation will muddy your mids and can muffle your highs, and the sound quality difference with the Sony being "dark" is likely Sony's ANC.
So a fair comparison is ANC on/off (sony has multiple settings AFAIK), and then compare wired operation with ANC off as well where you completely bypass the digital-to-analog converter of the headset (which is likely inferior even to the DAC of decent cell phone).
He also didn't clarify whether
1. Does the airpods max work with non-apple devices?
2. Does it do wired playback and can it charge and play concurrently?

#2 really determines how important battery life is.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yup. It's a decent review, the definite conclusion: you can buy a Sony WHXB900N AND a true audiophile headphone like a HD600/6xx and if you're lucky you can even slap a used Apogee Groove on top for the price of the Airpods max, which makes the deal simple.

~$250 for both pairs of Sonys, (marked down 50% from $250), $220 for HD6XX, so that's $470, hahaha, it's pretty close, heck, you could do a Schiit Fulla 2 for $89, or catch a B-stock for $69, OK, now you're <= $550 :D

Speaking of integrated DAC/Amps from Schiit, this new product is pretty slick:

A decent step up from the Fulla, and I love their new black-red option on some products.

Last edited:

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
A review from a non audio phile

"These don't look like any other pair of headphones." Huh? Let's see... two ear cups? check. Drivers? check. Headband? check. They look exactly like any other pair of headphones. Except they are heavier and come with a lower run time. Let's say they are 10% better in audio quality. Most of us will not be able to perceive the difference. Even if we do, I'd say pay additional $50 more and maybe another $50 for it being Apple. That's still going to place them somewhere in the range of $399-$449.

There is one thing the reviews hit on perfectly. These are 100% aspirational. It's not about creating value for the consumer or delivering a substantially better experience at a premium. It's about creating a status statement. And that's fine. We do this with cars, homes, jobs and other consumer products. I don't drive a Mercedes because it's twice as functional as Honda or twice as fast or twice as comfortable or twice as safe. It only costs twice as much. I drive it because it has that marginal refinement in driving dynamics, luxury interior and that lovely three spike emblem up front that says something about me. I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

U

User.45

"These don't look like any other pair of headphones." Huh? Let's see... two ear cups? check. Drivers? check. Headband? check. They look exactly like any other pair of headphones. Except they are heavier and come with a lower run time. Let's say they are 10% better in audio quality. Most of us will not be able to perceive the difference. Even if we do, I'd say pay additional $50 more and maybe another $50 for it being Apple. That's still going to place them somewhere in the range of $399-$449.
It's a headphone worth getting robbed for I guess:D It really accomplishes the opposite I'd expect from a super compromised wireless headset: forgetting that it's on.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hey familiar names [emoji3526]
I just bought these:
a512e08e7b5ece1a596f906eb3a0da35.jpg
d92d3195daf82908ae6bbbdfed637782.jpg

I have to say they are brilliant and only cost me £60 on Amazon, down from £80. The reviews all seem to suggest they are decent too. Chuffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom
1 2