If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Not a big fan of country but I guess this fits tonight: Sammy Kershaw's Politics, Religion and Her.

lyrics:​
No I don't think she's comin' back​
We better not get into that​
Let's talk about baseball, talk a little small talk​
There's gotta be a good joke that you've heard​
Let's talk about NASCAR, old Hollywood movie stars​
Let's talk about anything, anything in this world​
But politics, religion and her.​
Politics can start a fight​
Religion's hard to know who's right​
And one more topic I won't touch​
Well that's her, it hurts too much...​

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
On NPR they profiled The Voice, Whitney Houston on the anniversary of her passing. I was reminded that this is one of the most incredible performances by a female performer I have ever heard. The modulation of her voice is unsurpassed and The Greatest Love of All was the perfect song to display her talents.

Academy Awards Performance​

lizkat

Reaction score
Friday night is still jazz night in my house...

Tonight listening to Chet Baker's all-instrumental 1959 album Chet. Slo-mo ballad takes but not schmaltzy.

A wealth of talented help runs through these tracks: pianist Bill Evans, Herbie Mann on alto flute, guitarist Kenny Burrell, drummers Connie Kay and Philly joe Jones, baritone sax Pepper Adams, bass Paul Chambers. Evans is in most of the tracks and was in great improvisational form at the time, wonderful support in a great album.

lizkat

Reaction score
Schumann's Fantasiestücke, Op. 12, Martha Argerich, album Live From the Concertgebouw 1978-1979.

Argerich Concertgebouw 1978=79.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few pieces of Baroque music are keeping me company this Friday night, as August proceeds apace.

Chaconne, composed by Francois Le Cocq (1685-1729); and another Chaconne, this one composed by Robert de Visée (1655-1732/3).

And these were followed by Marionas - composed by Gaspar Sanz (1640-1710). And Jacanas, also courtesy of Gaspar Sanz.

Next, was Bergamasca, by Giovanni Battista Vitelli (1632-1692).

Lovely, just lovely.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few tracks from The Shadows (such as Apache, Guitar Tango, Man Of Mystery, Wonderful Land, The Savage), followed by a few from Link Wray (Rumble, Ramble, etc).

lizkat

Reaction score
Some film soundtracks lately. Today, Lisa Gerrard and Pieter Bourke, music from The Insider (1999).

Here is Sacrifice from that album. [audio only]

lizkat

Reaction score
Listening to Willie Schoellkopf's Dee Dah Doo album again tonight. He's a 72 year old retired lawyer who used to clerk for the US District Court in Western NY for judges including the notable John T. Curtin (among other cases Curtin had rulings on the Love Canal toxic waste dumping by Hooker Chemical and a major desegregation case in Buffalo). Anyway aside from all that lawyering, Schoellkopf hung out and sang and played with a lot of local bands up there around Buffalo for more than 50 years. Can't just be all buried in law books all the time, right? So he finally got talked into making an album, rounded up some great sidemen and the results have made for some fun listening today and this evening.

album art - Schoellkopf - Dee Dah Doo.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
AV Club has these fun articles called "60 minutes of ..." where they pick an artist and make a 60 minute playlist (tricky depending on catalog size, etc.), they have some interesting insight into each track, some links to alternative takes, originals (where it's a cover). This time they selected Blondie, so I added their playlist to Spotify, been enjoying that :)

lizkat

Reaction score
Must be the change in angle of the morning sun this time of year --or the sight of a few brightly colored fallen leaves on the lawns around here-- but anyway suddenly seems like beach-read and pop-listen season is over and so the likes of Angela Hewitt and Bach's Well Tempered Clavier once again become features of my coffee breaks. Doesn't mean other genres disappear from playlists but the lean lately is towards Bach and friends...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
There's a new David Bowie film coming out, titled Moonage Daydream:

MOONAGE DAYDREAM: a cinematic odyssey exploring Bowie's creative, spiritual and musical journey. From the visionary mind of Brett Morgen, Moonage Daydream features captivating, never-before-seen footage and performances spanning David Bowie's 54-year career. The film includes 40 exclusively remastered Bowie songs and is the first film ever sanctioned by the Bowie Estate, with local access to the artists' archives.

And it's prompted a lot of discussion his music, lots of Top N lists, rankings, etc., just wondering what the people here might choose as their Top 10 David Bowie albums.

?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps), Low and Station to Station are all definitely top 10 (very possibly top 5), haven't determined exactly where they rank. I'd put his final studio album, a masterpiece, Blackstar, in the top 10 as well.

Yeah, it's just a fun exercise, and made me queue up hours of Bowie today :)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Impossible. I'd end up with compilation albums... or a playlist of picks from a lot of his work. 🤩

Looking forward to seeing that film with the new remasters.
Compilation albums, for me, too.

In truth, I don't actually much care for the albums, - any of them - not as a unit, (not the way I like some of the albums recorded by The Beatles) but, I really love some of his individual songs.

To my mind, some of the individual songs, or tunes, or tracks, are simply sublime and are utterly timeless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2