iOS 18 changes you’d like

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
Eh. You don’t have to use it. And for the weirdos who like color-coordinating icons and backgrounds and such, they seem to like it. It’s also only the first beta, so maybe some more changes will come (like opting an app icon out).

I think eventually Apple will adopt something like SFSymbols for icons, and then they can do more intelligent tinting.
Yeah, I think this is fair at the end of the day, it’s optional, and I’m being hyperbolic lol. It does still feel weird to me seeing it from them even within that constraint but it’s not like the end of the world, also as you say, it’s a beta and they’re known more and more to iron this out thanks to public testers now.

(As an aside, I want to clarify I think iOS as a whole still blows Android out within apps in terms of UI particularly the moment you get to third-party anything, it’s incredible but sad. software quality is just obscene with iOS — but from a pure aesthetics pov, doing colored icons badly hurts iOS more, but again it’s optional so.)

RE: SFSymbols — I see that this is like their common vector assets for use across UIs and App Icons — you think this could improve representation if developers (and Apple) used more abstract assets like these?

Honestly the dark mode icon change has real potential even if it hurts the aesthetics or design intent for some apps. I do sort of like that if only for easing up on the eyes.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
Apple Intelligence:

Looks fine to me? it’s 15 Pro-only but it makes sense to establish a cut-off in light of RAM use for the local stuff which is the backbone, and just avoiding the mess of pissing people off altogether with bad performance and ux. M1 is supported which again makes me think a big part of this is RAM.

I) Local basics
II) + some in Apple Cloud for some tasks
III) + for general chatbot stuff with an abstracted API or whatever that Apple can replace with Gemini or Claude at any time (or even let users choose) is actually pretty smart I think.

The fact that they’re not even paying them is frankly hilarious but also demonstrates Apple still holds all the cards.

I am betting down the line they might train and offer their own, rumors are they’ve already done that and research output shows it for some pretty capable little multimodal models anyway. Though that’s a bit different tbf.

There are lots of routes they can take and so far I think it’s unsurprising they’re waiting for some smoke to clear while approaching this deliberately I guess.

Yoused

up
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Huh. TIL iOS doesn't have "Paste and Match Style" like macOS.

Seems to me that should be the default behavior. Or, I should have a switch under "Table" to lock the format so that data pasted or dragged into the table acquires the table's formatting. Being able to lock formatting would be convenient for both versions of Numbers.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this is fair at the end of the day, it’s optional, and I’m being hyperbolic lol. It does still feel weird to me seeing it from them even within that constraint but it’s not like the end of the world, also as you say, it’s a beta and they’re known more and more to iron this out thanks to public testers now.

(As an aside, I want to clarify I think iOS as a whole still blows Android out within apps in terms of UI particularly the moment you get to third-party anything, it’s incredible but sad. software quality is just obscene with iOS — but from a pure aesthetics pov, doing colored icons badly hurts iOS more, but again it’s optional so.)

RE: SFSymbols — I see that this is like their common vector assets for use across UIs and App Icons — you think this could improve representation if developers (and Apple) used more abstract assets like these?

Honestly the dark mode icon change has real potential even if it hurts the aesthetics or design intent for some apps. I do sort of like that if only for easing up on the eyes.
Sf symbols have features where you can specify what is printable, what isn’t, and you can actually specify some logic in there.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems to me that should be the default behavior. Or, I should have a switch under "Table" to lock the format so that data pasted or dragged into the table acquires the table's formatting. Being able to lock formatting would be convenient for both versions of Numbers.
iOS has always left it up to the app to decide. You can have multiple representations in the clipboard for the same “copy,” and the receiving app is supposed to figure out which to use and what to do with it. Receiving app can decide it or wants multiple versions of the paste command.

Ideal? No. Maybe they address it someday.

Yoused

up
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
iOS has always left it up to the app to decide.

I get that. But I am pretty orificial when it comes to my table formatting (never mind the fact that I detest Helvetica simply because it can make it difficult to distinguish between 6, 8, 9 and 0 in small sizes). I would greatly enjoy if the app decided which to use on the basis of how I told it to decide. It would even make "drag and keep format" an option.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
iOS has always left it up to the app to decide. You can have multiple representations in the clipboard for the same “copy,” and the receiving app is supposed to figure out which to use and what to do with it. Receiving app can decide it or wants multiple versions of the paste command.

Ideal? No. Maybe they address it someday.
A few months ago I had to undo a code change to add a URL to the pasteboard from a macOS's Catalyst app. I was using UIPasteboard.general.url = URL(string: "https://example.com") instead of UIPasteboard.general.string = "https://example.com". Using the former only let you paste in some apps, weirdly.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I had to undo a code change to add a URL to the pasteboard from a macOS's Catalyst app. I was using UIPasteboard.general.url = URL(string: "https://example.com") instead of UIPasteboard.general.string = "https://example.com". Using the former only let you paste in some apps, weirdly.

Last time I worked with copy/paste, I had to provide a set of fallbacks and the receiving app picks the most specific form relevant to them, and so for something specific like a URL, I'd also have to provide the string form as a fallback. So we'd be doing things like: <App specific format> -> HTML -> RTF -> Plain Text.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I got an email from Google telling me that Android's would soon be able to be located by "Find My". I assume they means when iOS 18 drops.

Top Bottom
1 2