Locke and Key (Netflix 2020-)

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just finished watching it last night. I thought it was pretty cool.

I know you didn't think highly of the first season. Did the second season make you excited for the third? Or are you done again? I've not read the comics and didn't know there were comics to read. So I'm curious how this season met your expectations.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I know you didn't think highly of the first season. Did the second season make you excited for the third? Or are you done again? I've not read the comics and didn't know there were comics to read. So I'm curious how this season met your expectations.

I didn't hate the first season, I just didn't like the story as much as the original comic. The same still applies to some extent to the 2nd season, but it did raise the stakes for the characters a lot more compared to the 1st, so you get a little more invested in their plight.

The comic is more slow moving, dark and mysterious in comparison, letting the suspense and dread build and build and build. The Locke family is hit much harder by Rendell's murder, which was far worse, and had further reaching consequences for everyone involved. Dodge, in particular, is the biggest change. She/he comes across as smart, but petulant, while comic Dodge is much more composed, manipulative, and openly cruel.

I think the series is fun, but it is a more family friendly take on the story.

LockeKey.jpg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm going to watch it eventually, probably very soon. My hopes aren't set too high due to some of the criticism I've read so far.
So report back what you think. Both the wife and I have enjoyed it through season two.

Spoiler
If I have a critique it is that regarding the story line and seasons, it may seem repetitive to some degree. Very similar to how subsequent seasons in Stranger Things have been handled, the central story line plot basically remains the same. What at first seems resolved is not resolved and the conflict with some variations continue.

In Locke And Key those variations are significant in Season 2 and imo are enough to keep it interesting, The first 2 seasons could be a single book.* For season 3 a new antagonist has been identified. For the third season of Stranger Things, I was definitely getting the been there done that feeling, fighting critters invading our world from a parallel universe.

*I admit this feeling about repetitivenesses has to do with the 10 episode season structure where a climax is involved, but if you were reading the book, you’d see you are only half way through, ;)

For books like these, I don’t know if they were a single book or a series, but I am more inpresssed when the author crafts a new plot for a subsequent book. If I think back to my youth and book series, something like the Hardy Boys where each story is a different story, not a repeat.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't hate the first season, I just didn't like the story as much as the original comic. The same still applies to some extent to the 2nd season, but it did raise the stakes for the characters a lot more compared to the 1st, so you get a little more invested in their plight.

The comic is more slow moving, dark and mysterious in comparison, letting the suspense and dread build and build and build. The Locke family is hit much harder by Rendell's murder, which was far worse, and had further reaching consequences for everyone involved. Dodge, in particular, is the biggest change. She/he comes across as smart, but petulant, while comic Dodge is much more composed, manipulative, and openly cruel.

I think the series is fun, but it is a more family friendly take on the story.

View attachment 9930
Compromises definitely involved in the transition. Comics, graphic novels have the time to take their time, Ten episode seasons do not. Graphic novels can be excellent, but they still strike me as secondary to life action as long as the life action does not cut too many corners.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Forget those criticisms. It’s a great fun show!

Locke and Key or Cowboy Bebop? I kind of disagree with Netflix on some of their choices.

Faye's actually a good character. I get that they probably want to tone down the outfits a bit for live action, but I find their insinuation based on interviews of the original character being a bit sexist and a product of its time to be a fairly weak argument. Faye was very much a survivor and didn't exactly wither when confronting people who tried to blackmail her in the show.

Julia and Vicious were really parts of Spike's past rather than fleshed out characters. They helped to frame Spike's internal conflicts. Trying to build out Julia's character is a little weird to me and seems like something they're doing just to add more women to the show, even though 2 of the 4 main characters were already women.

Some of them are very on point
I totally get the idea of Edward being cast with someone who identifies gender non-binary, given that in the original series, the other characters thought Ed was a boy until someone who recognized her referred to her as "she".

So report back what you think. Both the wife and I have enjoyed it through season two.

Remember I drift off topic a lot (this is not unique to forum posting for me). Also, in case you want to edit, spoilers should appear under a spoiler tag. It hides the text until someone clicks to reveal.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Locke and Key or Cowboy Bebop? I kind of disagree with Netflix on some of their choices.

Faye's actually a good character. I get that they probably want to tone down the outfits a bit for live action, but I find their insinuation based on interviews of the original character being a bit sexist and a product of its time to be a fairly weak argument. Faye was very much a survivor and didn't exactly wither when confronting people who tried to blackmail her in the show.

Julia and Vicious were really parts of Spike's past rather than fleshed out characters. They helped to frame Spike's internal conflicts. Trying to build out Julia's character is a little weird to me and seems like something they're doing just to add more women to the show, even though 2 of the 4 main characters were already women.

Some of them are very on point
I totally get the idea of Edward being cast with someone who identifies gender non-binary, given that in the original series, the other characters thought Ed was a boy until someone who recognized her referred to her as "she".

Remember I drift off topic a lot (this is not unique to forum posting for me). Also, in case you want to edit, spoilers should appear under a spoiler tag. It hides the text until someone clicks to reveal.
If I put a red spoiler label above the text, are you just too tempted not to stop? ;)

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

I'm three episodes in, and you know what? I like it. It doesn't quite match the moody film noir feel of the original series, but I do like the relatively more slapstick Hong Kong kung fu buddy flick take they went for.

If you go into expecting a shot for shot remake, you'll be disappointed. Try to enjoy it for what it is, and you'll probably like it.

Top Bottom
1 2