Meta's "Twitter killer" app Threads is on its way – and you can get a cheat code to download it

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah there's still a place for it and I hope it remains a player. The biggest advantage Threads has is user acquisition, giving their IG base of 1 billion people the ability to seamlessly join with a couple of taps.
Disadvantage - nobody has ever used IG to talk to other people. The IG user base wants to share photos, that’s why they were never on FB or Twitter. (You can tell I’ve been talking to my son again. Those marketing people can tell you what time someone of a certain age uses which service.)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot of people have been looking for a viable alternative to Twitter and while Mastodon is a decent platform it has to grow from a grass roots level. I've been on it for months and have 24 followers, I set Threads up and got over 300 in 12 hours, it's really hard to compete against something like that.
You have to follow people to get followers on Mastodon.

Where are these followers coming from on Threads? Did you follow them? Was your account recommended to them? Were they accounts that already followed you on IG?

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Disadvantage - nobody has ever used IG to talk to other people. The IG user base wants to share photos, that’s why they were never on FB or Twitter. (You can tell I’ve been talking to my son again. Those marketing people can tell you what time someone of a certain age uses which service.)
I have a LOT of group chats on IG. Photographers are inherently chatty people, lol. We just like to talk about photos most of the time, rather than random things. There will be some crossover, but among the photographers I've seen posting on Threads, they are all quite happy with the space.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You have to follow people to get followers on Mastodon.

Where are these followers coming from on Threads? Did you follow them? Was your account recommended to them? Were they accounts that already followed you on IG?
When you join Threads with your existing IG account it puts up a button stating you are now on Threads, if followers choose to they can follow you from there. So far out of my 6630 IG followers, over 600 have chosen to follow me on Threads, I'm only following 36 at the moment but will add more soon.

@mollyc I think I've got you added :)

I also agree with Molly about conversations on IG, I'm regularly engaged in chats there so moving that to a contextual bases system is something I think a lot of us have been ready for.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
When you join Threads with your existing IG account it puts up a button stating you are now on Threads, if followers choose to they can follow you from there. So far out of my 6630 IG followers, over 600 have chosen to follow me on Threads, I'm only following 36 at the moment but will add more soon.

@mollyc I think I've got you added :)

I also agree with Molly about conversations on IG, I'm regularly engaged in chats there so moving that to a contextual bases system is something I think a lot of us have been ready for.

While I don’t think you’ll go all crazy town on Threads, it will be interesting to see how many people followed somebody based on their photos only to get disturbed by their Thread posts.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
While I don’t think you’ll go all crazy town on Threads, it will be interesting to see how many people followed somebody based on their photos only to get disturbed by their Thread posts.
Oh yeah man I can only imagine how many will become disenfranchised lol. I will maintain a zero politics profile on there, no matter what side one is on you'll alienate 50% of your base when getting political as most of this country is split down the middle. If your goal is a professional image, stay out of politics.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Testing a link for embedding purposes

When I tap that, I get:

1688754985913.png

But I’ve been getting that all day today for all thread links

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It worked for me 🤷‍♂️

Let's try this one...

It happens to me even for bare “threads.net” using multiple different devices. Also tried bypassing my wifi network and using 5G, just to see if my router was mangling things.

The URL gets resolved into an extremely long string of gibberish on my end. No idea why.

Ah! It seems to have something to do with iCloud hiding my IP address! When I turn that off, it works.

So it looks like threads.net is not compatible with “hide my IP address,” at least today (and at least for me).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It happens to me even for bare “threads.net” using multiple different devices. Also tried bypassing my wifi network and using 5G, just to see if my router was mangling things.

The URL gets resolved into an extremely long string of gibberish on my end. No idea why.

Ah! It seems to have something to do with iCloud hiding my IP address! When I turn that off, it works.

So it looks like threads.net is not compatible with “hide my IP address,” at least today (and at least for me).
Yeah, the home URL doesn't appear to be anything other than a placeholder but strings passed along seem to work.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Those marketing people can tell you what time someone of a certain age uses which service.)

Absolutely. My daughter has a degree in Social Media Management from SCAD and she could tell you what day and time gets the most engagement for each demographic.

Top Bottom
1 2