Meta's "Twitter killer" app Threads is on its way – and you can get a cheat code to download it

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Eric's link worked for me & I'm not yet signed up with Threads. So hopefully that means a "good check"?
Also interesting that (so far) it doesn’t display the same pathological behavior as embedded Twitter links on my phone wherein they wouldn’t load until after the posts causing the pages to constantly shift as new embedded links appeared. Was really quite aggravating sometimes and I say this as someone who caused many of the problems.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just wow! I thought this had to be fake so I double checked and it is indeed real.

hcmbhtpg9lab1.jpg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Some server does or did host a NAMBLA site. It sounds pretty vile, that there is or was a site promoting illegal activity and offering advice on how to do it.

However, 1A makes it effectively impossible to prevent anyone from discussing any kind of illegal activity. As much as we might find it disturbing or repellant, if the discussion can take place in the open, anyone can look at it – including the people interested in enforcing the law. It makes it easier for us to figure out who the nasty people might be. And we can see their strategies, which will help us formulate defenses against it.

This is one major reason that websites and forum hosts are not exposed to liability for allowing distasteful conversations. The servers are not actually endorsing the material any more than a word processor is supporting hate speech by not redacting it. Allowing pedophiles to make use of your service is a very long way from condoning pedophilia.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Some server does or did host a NAMBLA site. It sounds pretty vile, that there is or was a site promoting illegal activity and offering advice on how to do it.

However, 1A makes it effectively impossible to prevent anyone from discussing any kind of illegal activity. As much as we might find it disturbing or repellant, if the discussion can take place in the open, anyone can look at it – including the people interested in enforcing the law. It makes it easier for us to figure out who the nasty people might be. And we can see their strategies, which will help us formulate defenses against it.

This is one major reason that websites and forum hosts are not exposed to liability for allowing distasteful conversations. The servers are not actually endorsing the material any more than a word processor is supporting hate speech by not redacting it. Allowing pedophiles to make use of your service is a very long way from condoning pedophilia.
While of course they aren’t criminally liable, neither are they forced to host such content. Services can and do refuse to host or otherwise provide services to child predators, Nazis, Kiwi farms, etc … looking to run websites, forums, or whatever. Rejecting them from using your service is no more a violation of first amendment than is content moderation and therefore not rejecting them, especially when their behavior is pointed out, is indeed an endorsement - perhaps a weak one, but one nonetheless. Further, there’s a big gap between “someone out there is using my word processor software to write bad things” and “if you give me monthly money I’ll offer you server space, cybersecurity, and/or domain registration so that you can write bad things and I know that’s what you’re using it for”. Again, it may not be illegal but neither is calling out or protesting their decision to do so.

Fundamentally though in this instance, it’s Musk is just doing his typical bad faith, outright accusing or at least insinuating a threat to his ego of being or associated with pedophiles. This is at least the third time he’s done that off the top of my head but he’s definitely done it more times.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Teslanomics is on crack. Can't wait to see their new account on Threads, took a screenshot so this ages well.

q07t12gv1vab1.jpg
Never heard of this person. Just did a bit of searching and all I can tell is they’re in the tank for Musk like a cultist.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Never heard of this person. Just did a bit of searching and all I can tell is they’re in the tank for Musk like a cultist.
At one time that checkmark meant authenticity, sadly all of the networks have pushed regular users into purchasing it (myself included on IG) but in its day when it was only given to those of celebrity or professional status it really meant something.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I believe congratulations is in order.

It handily beat ChatGPT to the milestone while Twitter traffic is ‘tanking,’ according to Cloudflare CEO.

Instagram’s new Threads app has already surpassed 100 million users, meaning it reached the milestone dramatically faster than even ChatGPT. OpenAI’s chatbot passed the mark after two months, but Threads, which only launched on Wednesday, got there in a matter of days. The number of users can be found in the Instagram app, which tracks the size of the Threads userbase.

Threads proved to be an early hit almost immediately. In the first two hours, it hit 2 million users and steadily climbed from there to 5 million, 10 million, 30 million, and then 70 million. The launch has been “way beyond our expectations,” CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on Friday.

On Monday, Zuckerberg said in a Threads post confirming the milestone that the growth was “mostly organic:”

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I really want to like threads. I'm hoping they just pushed it out and plan to do some updates in the near future. I'm back to getting a lot of people I don't follow as the stuff in my feed. Sometimes it's just because someone I do follow comments on something, and while that annoys me, I do understand the reasoning - I should theoretically find new people to follow (truthfully it feels a bit stalkery though). I'd like to just follow people I want to (I suspect there just aren't enough active users among my followers yet so I get a lot of suggested stuff).

My bigger complaint is that I feel like the posts are just all crammed together. I can see there's a thin line that separates posts, but it's really faint and I'd like more breathing room. As I scroll it just seems like one giant run on sentence and I don't find it calming at all.

It's also possible that since I wasn't a Twitter user that i just don't really understand the whole concept.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I really want to like threads. I'm hoping they just pushed it out and plan to do some updates in the near future. I'm back to getting a lot of people I don't follow as the stuff in my feed. Sometimes it's just because someone I do follow comments on something, and while that annoys me, I do understand the reasoning - I should theoretically find new people to follow (truthfully it feels a bit stalkery though). I'd like to just follow people I want to (I suspect there just aren't enough active users among my followers yet so I get a lot of suggested stuff).

My bigger complaint is that I feel like the posts are just all crammed together. I can see there's a thin line that separates posts, but it's really faint and I'd like more breathing room. As I scroll it just seems like one giant run on sentence and I don't find it calming at all.

It's also possible that since I wasn't a Twitter user that i just don't really understand the whole concept.
All fair points, I think they're still finding their groove and will have to add a few of the basics like ability to edit and hashtags, otherwise it's just a mashup as you mentioned with no real direction. Once you're able to select topics that suit you that should all change and become more targeted I would think.

It's worked out for me because I like following all my local photographer friends and the local news feeds, there's still some miscellaneous crap I have to sift through but not too much.

Top Bottom
1 2