Movie Tech

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don’t know if green screen is going anywhere yet. LED wall cost aside, it must be a nightmare trying to keep 1326 screens calibrated so they have one uniform look.

I can’t put my finger on it, but this has all the looks of a transitional technology that will link today’s green screen to some future technology yet to be invented.

Way back in 1967, Stanley Kubrick filmed “2001”’s African veldt scenes completely in studio, using front-projected images shined onto a highly reflective screen. Amazingly, though the images were projected onto the actors as well, the camera was so irised-down it did not pick that up. The disadvantage was that the camera had to be a perfect 90 degrees to the screen and could not be moved lest light falloff ruin the illusion (similar to those old lenticular silver movie screens that looked darker the more off-axis you were sitting).

Who knows? Maybe the next great moviemaking technology will take a germ of an idea from that…or even more likely, something completely unthought-of yet.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t know if green screen is going anywhere yet. LED wall cost aside, it must be a nightmare trying to keep 1326 screens calibrated so they have one uniform look.

I can’t put my finger on it, but this has all the looks of a transitional technology that will link today’s green screen to some future technology yet to be invented.

Way back in 1967, Stanley Kubrick filmed “2001”’s African veldt scenes completely in studio, using front-projected images shined onto a highly reflective screen. Amazingly, though the images were projected onto the actors as well, the camera was so irised-down it did not pick that up. The disadvantage was that the camera had to be a perfect 90 degrees to the screen and could not be moved lest light falloff ruin the illusion (similar to those old lenticular silver movie screens that looked darker the more off-axis you were sitting).

Who knows? Maybe the next great moviemaking technology will take a germ of an idea from that…or even more likely, something completely unthought-of yet.
I would not be surprised if they have auto calibration software. What amazed me about that video is that they partnered with Epic Games using Unreal Engine, since this is the software I have been toying with for over a month.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I remember a SciFi film where the wall of a home’s room was a projection and have been waiting for that to be a reality before I croak. :)

Are you thinking of those scenes in the apartment in New Seoul from Cloud Atlas?

As long as you’re not waiting for flying cars. Those have been ten years in the future for the last sixty years.

Fusion power.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you thinking of those scenes in the apartment in New Seoul from Cloud Atlas?

Fusion power.
I am sure there is more than one movie that shows this, but It might have been the original Total Recall (?) a scene (from some movie) where they get up from bed and the entire wall of the kitchen is a projection while one person is eating breakfast and reading the news.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, that's pretty astounding (the LED virtual set).

At Universal, the Bourne Stuntacular, is a live action stunt show that uses huge LED displays for backgrounds: buildings, landscape, even people. There's physical props/sets too, they're on a rotating stage so the system has to sync up the movement of the physical elements, the actors/stunt people and the backgrounds - it's pretty incredible. I'm sure there's videos, but live is pretty immersive and the detail / depth of field on the background is fantastic, there was a crowd scene where it took me a moment to differentiate the live actors vs. the video.

Top Bottom
1 2