Nuvia: don’t hold your breath

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
that said

I agree with this guy here. This is something I’ve been saying for a while — video playback tests are still good to give you an upper bound and indicator of idle power draw but only one and very limited piece of the puzzle. You could take them with ST or MT perf/W to gain some info, but yeah.

An automated mixed-use test while keeping performance/clocks adequate (if there’s a Windows setting on that) is ideal. The second part is also quite important — part of the reason some laptops can get ok battery life over the years is gutting performance. So testing on multiple modes is worthwhile.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
RE: the guy with the 2.5GHz limited model that INIYISA or whoever above was clowning about — here’s his actual review, despite owning multiple newer Intel laptops and an M2 Air:

IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg

IMG_4423.jpeg
IMG_4424.jpeg

Last edited:

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
Galaxy Book 4 Edge is a 55wh battery, btw.

3K, OLED, 120Hz, 400+ nits.

So getting the results he did while browsing and listening to a keynote at full volume and maximum brightness — would normalize to 13H of battery life, while claiming responsiveness was still fantastic at 2.5GHz (believable given they could ramp to that more often anyways and it’s not actually terrible)?

That’s extremely encouraging. That is M-class battery life to me based on personal experience of what real use looks like and particularly keeping in mind the display. He suggested about 25-30% better than his MTL laptop which checks out - albeit he wasn’t normalizing for battery size and noted his MTL laptop felt sluggish, likely because they limited clocks and the crappy SoC tile was being used more often in order to keep power down.

Last edited:

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
The Tom’s thing is fine.

But on reddit and other places I am already seeing the “Qualcomm LIED” stuff and it’s really eye-rolling, reporting on it is good still

I already saw all this on Reddit ofc fwiw down to the 2.5GHz — so I figured this was coming and am a bit annoyed with Samsung. My point earlier is just lolling at the general sentiment which you see in a lot of Apple/AMD/Intel places — like the 2.5GHz itself is obviously just a firmware thing.
Tbf, there is more pushback now than there was, even from Intel fans guys

But you still see silliness like this:

IMG_4428.jpeg

Here’s the problem with this, and a reply said exactly what I would

Do us a favor and start looking at ... AMD 5700U or ... Your going to be amazed at how the MT on the first page alone is between 3094 ... 7422 or the ST is between 1033 ... 1618. But but, that means the 5700U is BAD!!! Not its not ...

M1 SUUUUUCKSSS, see this score of ST 1460 MT 4766 .. O wait, ...

Geekbench is notorious for having wild scores between bench runs because some background tasks can really screw up results. Mostly because each tasks is very short, and is extreem susceptible to flux issues.

And its even worse because every time you run the benchmark, your going to add a entry, and because people do not bother to check, it looks like a whole bunch of people are getting bad results, when it can be just one system, polluting the page. Especially with so few devices...

People are just writing sensational articles like its nothing. That is the issue with benchmarks and people not understanding them. Great for sensational articles that are clickbait because you can spin it loads of ways to get views, when in reality, things are different.”
I wouldn’t call it sensational due to the clock cap which is a real persistent issue and some bug, but the sentiment here is accurate.

I think it’s also worth pointing out that Windows hardware is allowed more variation both introduced by the user and the OEM, and to some extent that’s good, but can also be terrible, but yeah.

Now when an SoC needs like perfect conditions to hit good scores — looking at Tiger Lake with 4.7GHz and the heat vs an M1 just consistently spinning out 1670-1730 GB5s was a good example of that. There’s information there about like heat or other things possibly or scheduling for sure.

Anyway, if review units show they have trouble reaching max clocks or roughly their destination ST +- 10% (like 2400 for the 3.4GHz, 2750-2850 for the 4GHz) yeah there might be an issue, though for now I’m gonna guess it’s alright and the main issue is clock limits.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
The Nvidia part(s) and the possibility of MediaTek’s part using a Nvidia iGPU is really intriguing. It would be sort of funny if in 2026 your option for a great CPU in an SoC on Windows is with Qualcomm and best iGPU* is with Nvidia/MediaTek. A new Intel/AMD, lmao.

*Strix Halo will be massive literally but in smaller parts, and on an architectural basis I bet Nvidia would have an edge for compute, gaming etc. Intel also looks way better now but I can’t imagine them being at Nvidia’s level by then.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
Adreno really does suck for compute, at this point I would say Immortalis from Arm is better as a whole because they’ve narrowed the raster perf/W and perf gap to a degree and have much more capability on the compute front, it’s more like Apple’s in a complete package.

Apple’s is pretty dang impressive honestly, when you take into account everything. Only issue is gaming on a Mac is just a waste, but in principle it’s impressive and compute can get actual use thanks to stuff like MLX (or down to the actual frameworks, Metal or CoreML.)

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Tbf, there is more pushback now than there was, even from Intel fans guys

But you still see silliness like this:

View attachment 29958

Here’s the problem with this, and a reply said exactly what I would

I wouldn’t call it sensational due to the clock cap which is a real persistent issue and some bug, but the sentiment here is accurate.
Yeah that's the thing, you can find odd scores for all CPUs that are clearly outliers, but this is something different. So many of the scores are low - even seemingly the majority of them so far. We just don't know what the issue is yet and why - is everyone testing on low power mode? they imported spotlight indexing from the Mac just for the fun? a firmware bug stopping the clocks from ramping up? If these are review units then hopefully the reviewers will tell us what is going on and, maybe, why.
I think it’s also worth pointing out that Windows hardware is allowed more variation both introduced by the user and the OEM, and to some extent that’s good, but can also be terrible, but yeah.
Oh yes I remember the Anandtech article on that.

Now when an SoC needs like perfect conditions to hit good scores — looking at Tiger Lake with 4.7GHz and the heat vs an M1 just consistently spinning out 1670-1730 GB5s was a good example of that. There’s information there about like heat or other things possibly or scheduling for sure.

Anyway, if review units show they have trouble reaching max clocks or roughly their destination ST +- 10% (like 2400 for the 3.4GHz, 2750-2850 for the 4GHz) yeah there might be an issue, though for now I’m gonna guess it’s alright and the main issue is clock limits.
Aye.

Last edited:

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah that's the thing, you can find odd scores for all CPUs that are clearly outliers, but this is something different. So many of the scores are low - even seemingly the majority of them so far. We just don't know what the issue is yet and why - is everyone testing on low power mode? they imported spotlight indexing from the Mac just for the fun? a firmware bug stopping the clocks from ramping up? If these are review units then hopefully the reviewers will tell us what is going on and, maybe, why.

Oh yes I remember the Anandtech article on that.

Aye.
So when I look through the list, one thing to keep in mind is a majority of units (or plurality anyway) are going to ship with the 3.4GHz max clock, which has a GB6 ST of like 2425. So the 2350+- 100 is very easily “explained” by that and probably throwing people off assuming all the SKUs are the 4GHz ones (or 4.2 tho I suspect that one is rare).

———
X1E-84 = 4.2GHz ST/dual-core boost, 12 core, but 3.8GHz all-core permitting thermals probably.
—————-
X1E-80 = 4GHz ST/dual-core boost, 12 core
X1E-78 = 3.4GHz max, 12 core
X1P-64 = 3.4GHz max, 10 core
These three ^ all having 3.4GHz all-core.

The X1E-84 with a 4.2GHz Dual and a 3.8GHz all-core I don’t expect to be that common because demand for the X1E-80 will usurp it and I suspect they’ll just shift some dies down, the tradeoff from 3.4 to 3.8GHz for the all-core mode really adds too much power whereas 4GHz for dual-core could be considered “worth it” for many and still for typical 15-45W parts. New XPS for instance uses it (the X1E-80).

But anyway, that divergence between 3.4 and 4.2GHz, and Samsung’s results with the 1800 stuff explain a lot of this from the search.

Like most of these for their respective SKUs make sense — unless they are totally off the rails. But you don’t see like a 4GHz one performing exactly at 3.4GHz ST, and the scores seem to cluster well.

You basically have either “total firmware mess/testing” scores — almost invariably below 2000 it seems and near 1700-1800 or even worse — or you just have the variation from the different SKUs.

If you sift them into those two categories with everything above 2200 being working, suddenly binning them into X1E78, X1E80, X1E84 makes complete sense and they cluster remarkably well and you don’t actually see (IMHO) even as much wacky stuff as you do with Ryzen or Intel CPUs. I’m going to bet this is bimodal between working/non-working, and the confusion about the working ones is just a misconception about the frequencies.

Actually yeah, the more I look through these, the results *after* the firmware thing (dominated by Samsung but Asus and Lenovo have some doing that too) are extremely easy to tell which result is from which SKU of the 3 on average (or 4 if you include the 3.4GHz plus).

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
IMG_4431.jpeg

IMG_4432.jpeg

IMG_4433.jpeg

IMG_4437.jpeg

IMG_4435.jpeg

IMG_4434.jpeg

You can very easily distinguish 78, 80, 84 from the ST scores if you were blindfolded and you’d get them right (or as in, you wouldn’t guess 78 when it’s an 80 or 84) — *if* they’re above that cutoff where something isn’t severely capped like in the 2.5GHz case, and this is from multiple OEMs. So that’s a pretty good sign in a way because the issue is certainly not something that will persist. I’d be more concerned if there were a deluge of like 2100-2400 results for the 4/4.2GHz SKUs or not enough in the 2300-2400 range for the 3.4GHz skus but that doesn’t really seem to be the case, which makes me think thermals and management of processes is pretty good between clusters.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
It’s a GPU stress test. The Intel one did better but frankly the GPU isn’t the main allure anyways.

You also can’t infer too much from a stress test runtime without performance — ANY laptop will die quickly.

Man people are just dumb

(He apparently is right about the brightness in notebookcheck, but the principle would still stand, and an Air’s Max Brightness isn’t consuming nearly as much — but you can still drain that quick too)

I also doubt the Asus Qc or Intel model had brightness turned down lol.

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I do wonder if the moderation has changed over there: I'm pretty sure this Hi IQ guy was suspended at one point, sunny and m7chy are gone as far as I can tell (unless this is one of them reborn and back to exact revenge!), I've seen people like JordanNZ in the screenshot above use the dreaded "T"-word without getting a suspension which would've been practically automatic at one point - I mean maybe Jordan will pick one up still. If he does then we know nothing has actually changed. Regardless, it hasn't changed the overall culture of the forums. But if the moderation policy, or at least the person implementing said policy*, has changed that's more than a slight improvement to be fair. *I believe Cliff said one of their (former?) moderators was an ... interesting person ... to say the least.
Ah never mind it’s business as usual @mr_roboto was suspended for calling out this poster:

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ah never mind it’s business as usual @mr_roboto was suspended for calling out this poster:

Word salad.

Reaction score

Still haven't had a suspension yet (been there since 2004), and I've said far worse on the forums. Who knows how they decide who to suspend.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Still haven't had a suspension yet (been there since 2004), and I've said far worse on the forums. Who knows how they decide who to suspend.

I have a suspicion it’s not what you say, it’s who you say it to.
And sometimes just luck I guess, I've never been suspended either. Though I've certainly come close to writing posts to make any moderator blush on those forums.

Top Bottom
1 2