nVidia allegedly abandoning Arm purchase

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

This acquisition never made sense to me. The only way it would be of advantage to nVidia is if they made it a disadvantage to their competitors.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Much to the surprise of no one. As you suggested, it was likely a play to hurt their competitors. Part of the reason that it wouldn't go through is that nobody trusts Nvidia, and rightly so. I don't usually care about most tech mergers, they often collapse under their own weight, but I never saw anything good coming from this.

(Also, credit for capitalizing the "V", like we did in old-timey days, during the before times.)

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's now official, Softbank is killing the sale of Arm Ltd. to Nvidia. They plan to file for an IPO, which is probably what they should have done from the beginning, but I can't blame Softbank for trying to sell it for a premium. Regardless, this is good news for the industry and the health of the ARM architecture. I know @Cmaier has believed that this deal would have little impact on Apple, but I'm sure they at least nominally consider this a good thing.

Top Bottom
1 2