Post your desktops! [ongoing edition]

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
This is almost topical to three different forums, but I’ma put it here since there was a June 2021 version of this.

These are (almost) all the Macs I have running right now. (There is one more, but that one is in the middle of stuff I don’t wanna disrupt.)

There is obviously a theme to the desktops and also to the naming convention of the machines.

In this order, shown:
simbologia [iBook G3 key lime clamshell late 2000, 10.4.11]
glaciologia [PowerBook G4 15-inch hi-res late 2005, 10.6 (yes, that’s right)]
ontologia [Power Mac G5 mid 2004, 10.5.8]
deontologia [PowerBook G4 17-inch hi-res late 2005, 10.5.8]
urbanologia [MacBook Pro 17-inch hi res early 2008, 10.6.8]
sonologia [iMac 21.5-inch late 2013, 10.13.6]

not shown:
morfologia [MacBook Pro 13-inch early 2011, 10.6.8 / 10.12.6]

simbologia screen cap.pngglaciologia screen cap.pngontologia screen cap.pngdeontologia screen cap.pngurbanologia screen cap.pngsonologia screen cap.png

I need to get out more.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is almost topical to three different forums, but I’ma put it here since there was a June 2021 version of this.

These are (almost) all the Macs I have running right now. (There is one more, but that one is in the middle of stuff I don’t wanna disrupt.)

There is obviously a theme to the desktops and also to the naming convention of the machines.

In this order, shown:

not shown:

View attachment 6944View attachment 6945View attachment 6946View attachment 6947View attachment 6948View attachment 6949

I need to get out more.
Wow man and I thought I had a lot of desktops lol

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wow man and I thought I had a lot of desktops lol

I’ve got nothing relative to eyoungren over on MR!

One of his towers (the Mac Pro) powers six displays at once (prior to 2020, it was his quad G5 which did that), and he has two other towers in his indoor work room running various server duties. Then he has a whole collection networked remotely… from his family’s garage.

link:
[that Win laptop is resting atop two running PPC Mac minis]

[some of his garage]

And then there are the PPC/early Intel Macs folks who have, like, 20 or more Macs in assorted stages of running. Relative to them, I’m a lightweight. :)

U

User.45

In this order, shown:

not shown:

View attachment 6944View attachment 6945View attachment 6946View attachment 6947View attachment 6948View attachment 6949

I need to get out more.
Have to admit that Core 2 Duo processor really took me back in time. So many memories...

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Have to admit that Core 2 Duo processor really took me back in time. So many memories...

The Core 2 Duo just came online last month after sitting in storage for probably nine or ten years (before I acquired it in a local trade in 2019 — a bag of coffee for it and also a 2008 white MacBook). It’s cosmetically pristine. It had the faulty GPU issue, and it was only in May once I was able to order a repaired replacement logic board within my budget.

There are folks over on the Early Intel Macs forum who are running Catalina and even Big Sur on that very same series C2D MBP!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
On the OS side, I keep things simple and basically run one laptop with five desktop spaces... each with its own decor, which I don't always remember to switch up when another month falls off the calendar. My wallpapers on that laptop are just solid color backgrounds of assorted hues, with a smallish central photo, usually birds or flowers, so I have room around that on left and right to have some files or folders out for current projects and reference.

But when it comes to iOS devices I go nuts and at least for my XR I pick new lockscreen wallpapers every month. They are usually based on screenshots of fabric samples or sometimes photos I've taken someplace that are colorful and fun. But sometimes they're just whimsical or satirical or even just screenshots of some product I favor. I had a snapshot of a bottle ofTabasco sauce on a phone lockscreen for awhile. Love that stuff. Seeing it on my phone made me smile.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
On the OS side, I keep things simple and basically run one laptop with five desktop spaces... each with its own decor, which I don't always remember to switch up when another month falls off the calendar. My wallpapers on that laptop are just solid color backgrounds of assorted hues, with a smallish central photo, usually birds or flowers, so I have room around that on left and right to have some files or folders out for current projects and reference.

But when it comes to iOS devices I go nuts and at least for my XR I pick new lockscreen wallpapers every month. They are usually based on screenshots of fabric samples or sometimes photos I've taken someplace that are colorful and fun. But sometimes they're just whimsical or satirical or even just screenshots of some product I favor. I had a snapshot of a bottle ofTabasco sauce on a phone lockscreen for awhile. Love that stuff. Seeing it on my phone made me smile.

My only non-Mac device is a 5yo Android phone, and the background on it is a completely different theme — though the pic on it, along with all of the above, were made with film. Its name is dialettologia.

U

User.45

The Core 2 Duo just came online last month after sitting in storage for probably nine or ten years (before I acquired it in a local trade in 2019 — a bag of coffee for it and also a 2008 white MacBook). It’s cosmetically pristine. It had the faulty GPU issue, and it was only in May once I was able to order a repaired replacement logic board within my budget.

There are folks over on the Early Intel Macs forum who are running Catalina and even Big Sur on that very same series C2D MBP!
That processor broke my heart, when I realized that a better processor won't make me a better producer. But I also wrote my first published paper using one. My first digital "home" revolved around it when things weren't trivial in my life.

Top Bottom
1 2