Posting video on Instagram

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I prepared a 1080 x 1080 video, which I thought is what is needed to fill the IG square window. When I upload it, however, it only takes up the center of the IG window, with the rest black. What to do?

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
IG's native ratio is actually 4:5 now, not a square, although they let you do squares still. I think video might even have a different ratio, closer to a native phone ratio. Have you googled for current native ratios?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I prepared a 1080 x 1080 video, which I thought is what is needed to fill the IG square window. When I upload it, however, it only takes up the center of the IG window, with the rest black. What to do?
Yes, very frustrating and you're giving it the recommended dimensions. You're always left with a tiny box in the center though, so I always end up using the 2x zoom which crops it in and most of the time doesn't impact the quality.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think I made a mistake - in my video editor I cropped the HD (1920 x 1080) video to 1080 x 1080. That left black space. I then rendered the video as 1080 x 1080 so it left the black space. That is what's (correctly) displayed on IG. Now I'm trying to figure out how to edit the HD video so the content I want is 1080 x 1080 with no black space.

Top Bottom
1 2