MaxTech is full of bull***

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
Hello, I’d like to say thanks for accepting me and a warning that this post has curse words. But’s it’s not macrumors so screw it im taking advantage of that!

My inaugural post (and maybe my only one ever) is about the total bullshit surrounding MaxTech and the entry level MacBook Pro being 8 GB. I was going to comment on their YouTube channel, but you need a Google account and I didn’t want to create one for the purpose of commenting especially because you need to put in a phone number.
Anyways, I don’t mind if your opinion is that you don’t want 8GB standard on entry level MBP.
My problem is this bullshit talking about how 8GB on Apple silicon is not sufficient? Really???

1701930410576.jpeg

Because all I fucking heard during the release of M1 (ironically people were shitting on M1 too until it was in the hands of people and the advancement so undeniable) was about how 8GB is the new 16GB. And that generally speaking whatever you had in Apple silicon was like double on Intel and/or Windows. In fact, tech media is where learned such a thing, because I was watching M1 videos to watch the huge leap Apple made. Tech media is the one who said it first. Apple only said it when asked literally years later.

Now the tech media wants bullshit controversy, and it’s like I feel like I had Alzheimer’s for a sec. Cause I DEFINITELY remember people saying this stuff. It was the only damn thing they ever talked about. So you know what I did? I went back into their first M1 videos, and spent a second to see if I was crazy and misremembering. Guess what? I was not, and I’m calling shit on everyone up in arms about Apple saying 8 = 16 on Apple silicon. Here’s a DIRECT QUOTE from one of their videos titled:

“Apple M1 Mac’s 8GB vs 16 gb ram - multitasking stress test”

My final thoughts are The 8 GB model performs like a 16 GB Intel MacBook Pro. And the 16 GB model performs more like a 32GB Intel MacBook Pro or maybe even better than that honestly. It performs extremely well under all of that it was still doing things really fast.
I stopped there because I’m not going to bother wasting my time drudging up everything a social media creator wrote or said, or all the comments that also said the same thing. But just to be clear, I saw a comment on that video also saying something along the lines of “thanks for your final view. It seems that Apple silicon ram is double what it is on windows because it’s efficient!”

So you know what? I’m sick of their clickbait and the constant crap they pull. It’s a shame because they’re the only channel that compares different configs and generations head to head, even if they’re awful at it. Keep in mind I’m criticizing their work and actions, not them as people. Their work is dogshit!
And they constantly play to whatever the rest of everyone is saying. To be fair, so does a lot of tech media. And that’s dogshit as well.

I fail to also understand why 8 is sufficient for M1 but the vastly more powerful m3 8 is no longer good with. Yeah, makes sense! Either 8 has been total crap the entire time, or there has always been caveats to 8 and it’s sufficient for a lot of casual stuff, but as always more can enable more work (hint: that’s the POV thats true lol)

Also a casual screw you to MacRumors for being a toxic shithole. Also it’s a shame Monica left The Verge, she was the only one semitolerable on that garbage website. And I noticed their M3 review made ZERO sense, and then I looked at who wrote it and realized it was not the same person anymore. Their review scores are so stupid and nonsense. M3 delivers all of that and it gets a lesser score than some extremely crap windows laptops. Makes sense!

Anyways, thanks for reading. I couldn’t let this stupid bullshit go on any longer. It’s literally insufferable that amount of laziness that surrounds tech media.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello, I’d like to say thanks for accepting me and a warning that this post has curse words. But’s it’s not macrumors so screw it im taking advantage of that!

My inaugural post (and maybe my only one ever) is about the total bullshit surrounding MaxTech and the entry level MacBook Pro being 8 GB. I was going to comment on their YouTube channel, but you need a Google account and I didn’t want to create one for the purpose of commenting especially because you need to put in a phone number.
Anyways, I don’t mind if your opinion is that you don’t want 8GB standard on entry level MBP.
My problem is this bullshit talking about how 8GB on Apple silicon is not sufficient? Really???

Because all I fucking heard during the release of M1 (ironically people were shitting on M1 too until it was in the hands of people and the advancement so undeniable) was about how 8GB is the new 16GB. And that generally speaking whatever you had in Apple silicon was like double on Intel and/or Windows.

Now the tech media wants bullshit controversy, and it’s like I feel like I had Alzheimer’s for a sec. Cause I DEFINITELY remember people saying this stuff. It was the only damn thing they ever talked about. So you know what I did? I went back into their first M1 videos, and spent a second to see if I was crazy and misremembering. Guess what? I was not, and I’m calling shit on everyone up in arms about Apple saying 8 = 16 on Apple silicon. Here’s a DIRECT QUOTE from one of their videos titled:

“Apple M1 Mac’s 8GB vs 16 gb ram - multitasking stress test”

I stopped there because eim not going to bother wasti by my time drudging up everything a social media creator wrote or said, or all the comments that also said the same thing. But just to be clear, I saw a comment also saying somethig along the lines of “thanks for your final view. It seems that Apple silicon ram is double what it is on windows because it’s efficient!”

So you know what? I’m sick of their clickbait and the constant crap they pull. It’s a shame because they’re the only channel that compares different configs and generations head to head, even if they’re awful at it. Keep in mind I’m criticizing their work and actions, not them as people. Their work is dogshit!
And they constantly play to whatever the rest of everyone is saying. To be fair, so does a lot of tech media. And that’s dogshit as well.

I fail to also understand why 8 is sufficient for M1 but the vastly more powerful m3 8 is no longer good with. Yeah, makes sense! Either 8 has been total crap the entire time, or there has always been caveats to 8 and it’s sufficient for a lot of casual stuff, but as always more can enable more work (hint: that’s the POV thats true lol)

Also a casual screw you to MacRumors for being a toxic shithole. Also it’s a shame Monica left The Verge, she was the only one semitolerable on that garbage website. And I noticed their M3 review made ZERO sense, and then I looked at who wrote it and realized it was not the same person anymore. Their review scores are so stupid and nonsense. M3 delivers all of that and it gets a lesser score than some extremely crap windows laptops. Makes sense!

Anyways, thanks for reading. I couldn’t let this stupid bullshit go on any longer. It’s literally insufferable that amount of laziness that surrounds tech media.

Welcome to these humble forums.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Either 8 has been total crap the entire time, or there has always been caveats to 8 and it’s sufficient for a lot of casual stuff, but as always more can enable more work
To be fair, resource consumption isn’t static. Web apps get more complex, tools cache more things for X or Y reason. I have a 2019 MBP that has 16GB that I’ve been using for work. When we got them, they were pretty good, other than the heat and fan noise. These days, we are about ready to throw them through the window because of a mix of the various management software the company now requires, and the fact that our toolchain is eating more RAM 4 years on than it used to.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
To be fair, resource consumption isn’t static. Web apps get more complex, tools cache more things for X or Y reason. I have a 2019 MBP that has 16GB that I’ve been using for work. When we got them, they were pretty good, other than the heat and fan noise. These days, we are about ready to throw them through the window because of a mix of the various management software the company now requires, and the fact that our toolchain is eating more RAM 4 years on than it used to.
That’s fair. I was however speaking to casual work in my sentence, but even so, I find it really difficult to believe software has gotten more powerful and or bloated so quickly since M1 that it renders it useless.
I think most people are upset because a lot of people thought this is supposed to be a step below the original Macbook pro, whereas Apple upgraded the 13 inch MacBook Pro with M3, a new design, bigger, better display, etc for only $300 more. That machine came with 8 GB, and while some people still didn’t like it, with M chips it has not been nearly as panned as the last few weeks. In fact, it was praised instead, specifically with the above quotes said from that video. They are far from the only ones who said that,a bunch of reviewers got on board and started saying that. A lot of Apple users as well.
apple did not sacrifice anything with the display, for example, and they made the world's best laptop display cheaper At $1600.
There is way too much speculation around M generations, and while I appreciate reading it, people have forgotten that none of that matters anymore once Apple releases the chips. that combined with this behavior where if a couple tech media outlet says something, they all start to run with it. I foresaw this with M1. whilst I appreciated the hype once it was released and in the hands of people, because it was true, I knew a lot of it was due to that behavior. If someone came out and criticized m1, they’d be labeled as an idiot, and rightfully so. But most of these people don’t give a shit about accuracy, they only care about money. And if the general narrative is whatever, they will all run with it. Unfortunately, that’s something that happened at the beginning of this M chip, unfairly. once it was in hands of people, it’s a phenomenal upgrade year over year, over m1, and especially, most importantly for upgrading the Mac user base, over Intel.

if people were honest and said they said that about m1, maybe it wouldn’t be so heinous. But it’s like they want to invent fiction and this fiction fills their pockets. Genuine people might be put off from buying it, or thinking that apple is not innovating, which is not true and stupid. It doesn’t matter that they were saying that and then saying this. They control whatever people read and watch, and thats what gets printed no matter If it’s true.

It’s a fact that apple silicon is more efficient For many reasons with unified memory. Will 8 always be sufficient in the future, even for casual tasks? No, of course not. But the general principle that you can do a lot with a smaller amount of unified memory than traditional ram on Intel MacBooks stands.
the most important thing I suppose im saying also is that this mass hysteria is hypocritical. tech media was the first ones to say 8 = 16, 16=32, so on and on. and not just MaxTech. This was generally accepted and published and written in articles and forums. Obviously not everyone agreed, yes, but that’s a technicality here because the majority, once they used it, did agree with that sentiment And praised Apple for it.

i just don’t like how people not only flip flopped, but did it consciously or unconsciously, because a lot of other people were saying it. A lot of the same criticism can technically apply to M1 too, not that I really think 8 on M1 is insufficient for stuff, but again it’s not like software was extremely basic. People are doing difficult, large work On regular M1, not just sending one email a day. That’s why M1 was praised: for being able to do hard work better and faster than the best intel MacBook Pro whilst being more efficient and cheaper. M1 with 8 blows away that on difficult software tasks, and so does M3.

Last edited:

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
I think there is a time when regardless of technical arguments, selling “pro” boxes with 8 seems a little silly. We’ve probably hit that time.
As I said in my original post, that’s fine and I don’t have a problem if one has that opinion.
However, my post is speaking to the inconsistency of the situation from tech media and the clickbait from Maxtech being a point of major frustration.
I was really only calling them out for flip flopping, and additionally as I said in my other post, I believe that you can Do more with less, generally speaking, on Apple silicon than with Intel or windows or whatever. There are hard limits to that, obviously, but the unified memory architecture has proven that Apple’s doing more with less like it does in regard to its other products like iPhone, iPod, and iPad can apply to the Mac as well.
people like maxtech are lambasting Apple for saying 8 = 16, or at least their clickbait is doing that anyway, but given they were the first ones to say that, not Apple, that 8 = 16, I find it hypocritical the tech media’s extreme sudden hysteria around it. If they have a problem with 8 GB (which again I’ve explained why I think now people suddenly felt an extreme major problem compared to m1, where it was praised generally speaking), Say that. But don’t use Apple’s reasoning that you can do more with less generally speaking and mix it in with that criticism, because again tech media were the first to say it. Apple never mentioned it once, ever, until a brief comment a few weeks ago. I feel like Apple was speaking to the general point ofbeing able to do more withless, and then YouTube channels and shit tech media sites latched onto specifically 8= 16. what exactly are they taking issue with? That 8=16 or that you can do more with less on an optimized system like Mac? Because again, for the tenth time, tech media were the first to say BOTH of those things and now suddenly it’s like the world is ending. I’m not sure when the right time is or was or whatever it be to include 16 as standard. But that’s a different discussion.

I’m pointing out the hypocrisy from them, and I kind of feel like that has been ignored because anyone may feel that they want 16 as standard. I just hate the sudden hysteria around it like they weren’t just parading around the world talking about how amazing 8 is on Mac.

and quite frankly, it is amazing what you can do with 8 on a Mac with Apple silicon, regardless of it what one thinks about it being standard.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
As I said in my original post, that’s fine and I don’t have a problem if one has that opinion.
However, my post is speaking to the inconsistency of the situation from tech media and the clickbait from Maxtech being a point of major frustration.
I was really only calling them out for flip flopping, and additionally as I said in my other post, I believe that you can Do more with less, generally speaking, on Apple silicon than with Intel or windows or whatever. There are hard limits to that, obviously, but the unified memory architecture has proven that Apple’s doing more with less like it does in regard to its other products like iPhone, iPod, and iPad can apply to the Mac as well.
people like maxtech are lambasting Apple for saying 8 = 16, or at least their clickbait is doing that anyway, but given they were the first ones to say that, not Apple, that 8 = 16, I find it hypocritical the tech media’s extreme sudden hysteria around it. If they have a problem with 8 GB (which again I’ve explained why I think now people suddenly felt an extreme major problem compared to m1, where it was praised generally speaking), Say that. But don’t use Apple’s reasoning that you can do more with less generally speaking and mix it in with that criticism, because again tech media were the first to say it. Apple never mentioned it once, ever, until a brief comment a few weeks ago. I feel like Apple was speaking to the general point ofbeing able to do more withless, and then YouTube channels and shit tech media sites latched onto specifically 8= 16. what exactly are they taking issue with? That 8=16 or that you can do more with less on an optimized system like Mac? Because again, for the tenth time, tech media were the first to say BOTH of those things and now suddenly it’s like the world is ending. I’m not sure when the right time is or was or whatever it be to include 16 as standard. But that’s a different discussion.

I’m pointing out the hypocrisy from them, and I kind of feel like that has been ignored because anyone may feel that they want 16 as standard. I just hate the sudden hysteria around it like they weren’t just parading around the world talking about how amazing 8 is on Mac.

and quite frankly, it is amazing what you can do with 8 on a Mac with Apple silicon, regardless of it what one thinks about it being standard.

Well it’s not surprising that there is hypocrisy in tech media. They constantly grade windows machines on a curve, compared to Macs, etc. A good rule of thumb is to ignore the editorial content and just look at the numbers.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Welcome!

Where these "8GB suck" videos get really annoying is no consideration at all is given to use case. There are user scenarios where 8 is just fine and scenarios where more would be good. It's not absolute. And yes the whole 8=16 canard came from tech bloggers not Apple and even their recent statement reads more like a faux pas than actual advocacy.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Where these "8GB suck" videos get really annoying is no consideration at all is given to use case. There are user scenarios where 8 is just fine and scenarios where more would be good. It's not absolute. And yes the whole 8=16 canard came from tech bloggers not Apple and even their recent statement reads more like a faux pas than actual advocacy.
Absolutely. I have an 8GB M1 MacBook Air that we use for web access, email, writing, and other light tasks. Would I use it for Final Cut Pro? No, but it’s great for our use case.

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
I agree that MaxTech is full of it. I stopped watching after the M1 series when the drama baiting got suuuuper boring (it’s a shame because the channel appeared to be going in a good direction before that).

8GB isn’t ok for a Pro tier machine, though. None of these claims about Apple Silicon Macs and/or macOS needing less memory were ever substantiated. It all started with tech YouTubers misunderstanding what unified memory is, jumping to bad assumptions and spreading misinformation. I’m extremely disappointed that Apple decided to further that narrative with the “an 8GB Mac is like a 16GB PC” nonsense (it’s a pointless own-goal).

It’s time for 16GB to become the minimum for Pro tier machines. If you’re buying a Mac for photo/video work, software development, systems engineering etc. you would struggle to make 8GB work. The standard baseline set of applications (mail client, browser, messaging apps like Slack, notes app etc.) will consume most of the 8GB before you’ve even started. Anything heavy on top of that (like an IDE) will push the system into swap and degrade performance (at best) or simply fail (at worst) 😅

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I never saw their videos but I actively chose to mute them in Twitter (when I was still using it) after I realized they were consistenly publishing a clickbaity video to bend the public opinion in one direction only to publish another clickbaity video one week later saying the opposite to what the first video suggested.

I understand that the YouTube algorithm promotes this kind of behavior and I'm fine with some clickbait titles (Linus Tech Tips does have some clickbait titles and I enjoy their non-Apple videos nonetheless), but I draw the line at the clickbait title actively spreading misinformation.

Top Bottom
1 2