Samsung 5k 27" & Dell 6k 32" monitors announced at CES

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Nice to see an alternative 5k monitor option appearing. No word on the pricing (which was not included in the CES announcement), but its specs (DCI P3 gamut, 600 nits peak brightness) seem to match those of the ASD (though the Samsung actually has HDR600 certification, which I don't think the ASD does). It's matte screen only, and its stock stand has both tilt and height adjustment, along with the ability to do portrait mode (the latter is not available with the ASD unless you use a VESA mount). With a height/tilt-adjustable stand and a matte screen, the ASD would set you back $2,300.

Based on this comparative pic, the Samsung has narrower, more modern-looking side and top bezels (like on the XDR), at the expense of a wider bottom bezel (where, IMO, it doesn't matter):

1672723893939.png

I'd prefer narrow side bezels because I run three monitors and like their display areas to be as close as possible. Right now I overlap their bezels to achieve that (the side bezels on my 27" iMac are >1" wide), but it's a bit of a kluge. Plus they just look nicer.

Maybe the Samsung is a one-off, but hopefully it means more entries into this space, along with the potential for lower pricing—by which I mean consumer-priced Retina externals, which we don't yet have (the Samsung seems to target the prosumer market, same as the ASD). I'm sure many MBA buyers would like to hook up a large Retina external for home use, but the ASD's $1600 starting price is a big ask for a consumer whose laptop budget was ~$1400. Many say a 4k 27" is good enough, but I've found that MacOS really needs a Retina display to look its best.

This article from July 2022 claims BOE will also be entering this space, https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/boe-latest-panel-development-plans-july-2022, but I've not heard anything further:

1672723245522.png

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks nice, And the webcam is supposedly a lot better than apple’s.

Nice to see an alternative 5k monitor option appearing. No word on the pricing (which I'm guessing will be announced this month at CES), but its specs (DCI P3 gamut, HDR600) seem to match those of the ASD. It's matte screen only, and its stock stand has both tilt and height adjustment, along with the ability to do portrait mode (the latter is not available with the ASD unless you use a VESA mount). With a height/tilt-adjustable stand and a matte screen, the ASD would set you back $2,300.

Maybe it's a one-off, but hopefully it means more entries into this space, along with the potential for lower pricing—by which I mean consumer-priced Retina externals, which we don't yet have (the Samsung seems to target the prosumer market, same as the ASD). I'm sure many MBA buyers would like to hook up a large Retina external for home use, but the ASD's $1600 starting price is a big ask for a consumer whose laptop budget was ~$1400. Many say a 4k 27" is good enough, but I've found that MacOS really needs a Retina display to look its best.

Based on this comparative pic, the Samsung has narrower, more modern-looking side and top bezels (like on the XDR), at the expense of a wider bottom bezel (where, IMO, it doesn't matter):

View attachment 20499

I'd prefer narrow side bezels because I run three monitors and like their display areas to be as close as possible. Right now I overlap their bezels to achieve that (the side bezels on my 27" iMac are >1" wide), but it's a bit of a kluge. Plus they just look nicer.

This article from July 2022 claims BOE will also be entering this space, https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/boe-latest-panel-development-plans-july-2022, but I've not heard anything further:

View attachment 20498

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Looks like Dell just announced a 6k monitor.

oooh...

It has a somewhat higher pixel count than the XDR. Hopefully this won't create some silly compatability issue where MacOS can't run it at the normal 2:1 scaling (or that prevents MacOS from running it at all). As far as the hardware goes, all M-series devices are spec'd to drive "up to 6k" displays; hopefully there's not some cutoff that limits that to the XDR's pixel count. The difference wouldn't be significant for the GPU's, but I don't know whether other parts of the video pathway would cause issues.

XDR: 6016 by 3384 (16:9), 218 ppi
Dell: 6144 x 3456 (16:9), 223 ppi

Also no pricing yet, same as the Sammy.

More details here:

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
oooh...

It has a somewhat higher pixel count than the XDR. Hopefully this won't create some silly compatability issue where MacOS can't run it at the normal 2:1 scaling (or that prevents MacOS from running it at all). As far as the hardware goes, all M-series devices are spec'd to drive "up to 6k" displays; hopefully there's not some cutoff that limits that to the XDR's pixel count. The difference wouldn't be significant for the GPU's, but I don't know whether other parts of the video pathway would cause issues.

XDR: 6016 by 3384 (16:9), 218 ppi
Dell: 6144 x 3456 (16:9), 223 ppi

Also no pricing yet, same as the Sammy.

More details here:

Yeah, all of this is amazing until we find out the prices :)

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, all of this is amazing until we find out the prices :)
It also has these slick pop-out USB-C/A ports

1672826409492.png

And the camera tilts down up to 20 degrees.

Still, I find the looks of the camera...disturbing. Like it's about to say "I wouldn't do that, Dave."
1672826494724.png

For the full video, see:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Regarding the Dell...Looks potentially interesting. Would need to edit some photos on it to have an opinion. And of course the price.

At first glance first thing I noticed was the forehead. Yeah, that's mice nuts, but it's kind of hard to unsee. Maybe the marketing people screwed up making the PR photos and have it rotated 180 degrees? :)

turbineseaplane

Power User
Reaction score
I used to care more about bezels and cameras on top and "looks" ... until I realized that I never care about any of that once I have a monitor in use.

The rest of thing outside the screen basically just disappears into the periphery for me.

Everyone at "the other forum" sure is making a mountain out of a mole hill about it though...
The usual -- it's not an Apple product so ... "take turns bashing it" -- so tiring

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to care more about bezels and cameras on top and "looks" ... until I realized that I never care about any of that once I have a monitor in use.

The rest of thing outside the screen basically just disappears into the periphery for me.

Everyone at "the other forum" sure is making a mountain out of a mole hill about it though...
The usual -- it's not an Apple product so ... "take turns bashing it" -- so tiring
LOL. In my experience, those forums were “it’s an apple product so… take turns bashing it.”

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I wonder what the purpose of the DP 2.1 on these is. On the one hand it's nice to see the adoption of this standard, but I'm curious what the practical benefit would be in these cases. 5k and 6k @60 Hz can already be acommodated by DP 1.4. Though I believe the latter requires DSC, and with DP 2.1 one could reduce the compression ratio or discard compression altogether.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score

If I were just running one monitor I wouldn't notice the side bezels either. However, I constantly notice the wide side bezels on my displays, since i'm running three of them side-by-side. As I mentioned above, I even overlap the bezels to try to minimize this.
That's not what I'm seeing. The reaction to these monitors on the MR forums has been generally positive--people are excited about the possibility of getting 5k/27" and 6k/32" for less than what Apple charges, plus the idea of competition in that space generally. And you'll see just as much bashing of Apple's looks there (e.g., the white bezels on the iMac), so I don't think the reaction has anything to do with it being an Apple product. Plus you've got to admit that camera is pretty...prominent. Indeed, if Apple released something that looked like this, the reaction to its looks on MR would be even stronger! :D

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's not what's going on. The reaction to these monitors on the MR forums has been generally positive--people are excited about the possibility of getting 5k/27" and 6k/32" for less than what Apple charges, plus the idea of competition in that space generally. And you'll see just as much bashing of Apple's looks there (e.g., the white bezels on the iMac), so I don't think the reaction has anything to do with it being an Apple product. Plus you've got to admit that camera is pretty...prominent. Indeed, if Apple released something that looked like this, the reaction to its looks on MR would be even stronger! :D

Spot on. The latest shit-show over there is about Apple's upcoming AR device. Of course almost everyone there reflexively say it will flop believing there's no market. It's like they were born without imaginations.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Spot on. The latest shit-show over there is about Apple's upcoming AR device. Of course almost everyone there reflexively say it will flop believing there's no market. It's like they were born without imaginations.
Interesting. I haven't been following that.

turbineseaplane

Power User
Reaction score
LOL. In my experience, those forums were “it’s an apple product so… take turns bashing it.”
Fair point.
It sort of depends on the thread.

If it’s a non apple product that might be good — bash it!!

If it’s about an Apple product — bash Apple!

Rule 1 - bash everyone and everything

turbineseaplane

Power User
Reaction score
If I were just running one monitor I wouldn't notice the side bezels either. However, I constantly notice the wide side bezels on my displays, since i'm running three of them side-by-side. As I mentioned above, I even overlap the bezels to try to minimize this.

That's not what I'm seeing. The reaction to these monitors on the MR forums has been generally positive--people are excited about the possibility of getting 5k/27" and 6k/32" for less than what Apple charges, plus the idea of competition in that space generally. And you'll see just as much bashing of Apple's looks there (e.g., the white bezels on the iMac), so I don't think the reaction has anything to do with it being an Apple product. Plus you've got to admit that camera is pretty...prominent. Indeed, if Apple released something that looked like this, the reaction to its looks on MR would be even stronger! :D

Hmm. Not sure what thread you were in, but the thread about the dell monitor is just endless negative comments about the WebCam and the top/look

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure what thread you were in, but the thread about the dell monitor is just endless negative comments about the WebCam and the top/look
I was on the Samsung 5k thread, where they were also discussing the Dell. Just checked the Dell thread, and yes there are a lot of negative comments about the camera, but I think many of them were in good humor as opposed to actually being rants, like the one where it asked if was designed by Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc. No different from my "I wouldn't do that Dave" comment above. Seriously, if I were making a movie about some dystopian future in which all office workers were constantly monitored, I would have all of them use that display ;).

I liked the guy who commented affectionately about Dell displays that they are beautifully functional but also tend to be homely, which is exactly the way I feel about my outstanding P2715Q, which was one of the best 4k displays made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2