Samsung 5k 27" & Dell 6k 32" monitors announced at CES

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Hmmm....Dell displays have been "okay" for me but my Studio Display has blown them out of the water both in resolution (which obviously this new one will address) and color appearance - the Dells and Samsungs always seem to "pop" too much and the look as a result is unnatural and unreal - but very colorful. The Samsung I am leery about especially in the accuracy department - I've had Samsung hi density displays and also 4K HDTVs and both of them had way over "pop" colors which made them vivid but also unnatural.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hmmm....Dell displays have been "okay" for me but my Studio Display has blown them out of the water both in resolution (which obviously this new one will address) and color appearance - the Dells and Samsungs always seem to "pop" too much and the look as a result is unnatural and unreal - but very colorful. The Samsung I am leery about especially in the accuracy department - I've had Samsung hi density displays and also 4K HDTVs and both of them had way over "pop" colors which made them vivid but also unnatural.
Hmmm....do you calibrate your displays with a colorimeter or spectrophotometer? I use the XRite i1Display Pro colorimeter (which appears to have been replaced by the Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro).

Even though I do mostly text work, I found my Dell P2715 was quite nice to use after calibration. Before calibration I didn't care for it. [I also have a cheaper U2412M, which while also improved by calibration, still isn't quite right.] Calibration also improved my 2019 27" Retina iMac's display, though the change was less than with the Dell (=> it's closer to being correctly calibrated to start with).

Yes, you can do a custom calibration using MacOS's Display Calibrator Assistant, but I've found the results are mediocre.

Note also that all monitors may need to be recalibrated when you update the OS--e.g., I'm on Monterey, and when I tried Ventura the colors didn't look right. They may also require recalibration due to aging.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
The Dell is now available for order. Price is 20% off $3,200 = $2,560: Dell 32" 6k
...and you can stack this with other discounts, e.g., 10% off for signing up for a Dell account. If that's 10% off the discounted price, then you're at $2,300. Plus there's the AMEX Dell rebate, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Hmmm....do you calibrate your displays with a colorimeter or spectrophotometer? I use the XRite i1Display Pro colorimeter (which appears to have been replaced by the Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro).

Even though I do mostly text work, I found my Dell P2715 was quite nice to use after calibration. Before calibration I didn't care for it. [I also have a cheaper U2412M, which while also improved by calibration, still isn't quite right.] Calibration also improved my 2019 27" Retina iMac's display, though the change was less than with the Dell (=> it's closer to being correctly calibrated to start with).

Yes, you can do a custom calibration using MacOS's Display Calibrator Assistant, but I've found the results are mediocre.

Note also that all monitors may need to be recalibrated when you update the OS--e.g., I'm on Monterey, and when I tried Ventura the colors didn't look right. They may also require recalibration due to aging.
Nope, I have not spent $300+ on special colorimeters or other such equipment. My base expectation for displays and TVs is the color calibration should be good out of the box. I find both the Studio Display and my Macbook Pro were correctly calibrated out of the box and stay that way when the OS updates.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I find both the Studio Display and my Macbook Pro were correctly calibrated out of the box and stay that way when the OS updates.

I'm finding the same on my Studio Display (and Mac Studio). The calibrator that I previously used on my 5K iMac died (more likely the driver, after an OS update).

When printing color files I haven't yet needed to make a 2nd print (preceded with a correction adjustment). First print (so far) has always been good.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wow that's one of the worst looking displays I've ever seen. And one of my flatmates has a curved display with discontinuous curvature.

Look like good value for the money though.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wow that's one of the worst looking displays I've ever seen. And one of my flatmates has a curved display with discontinuous curvature.

Look like good value for the money though.
I'm guessing Dell will release one without the forehead and camera in a few months, like they did with their 32" 4k (see pics).

That variant should go for ~$400 less. So, hypothetically, with 20% off and a 10% new member discount, maybe ($3,200 – $400) x 0.7 = $1,960. Possibly less if you wait until Black Friday.

And, with its narrow bezels, its display portion could look more modern than the ASD's—more like the XDR's. Apple's stands are still cooler; but since I run multiple monitors, I tend to notice bezel width much more than stand design. With my current 3-display setup, the side bezels are wide enough that I actually overlap them to bring the displayed portions closer together.

1683907104321.png

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And, with its narrow bezels, its display portion could look more modern than the ASD's—more like the XDR's. Apple's stands are still cooler; but since I run multiple monitors, I tend to notice bezel width much more than stand design.

On the subject of stand designs, I'm really impressed with LG's ErgoStand, which comes with some of their displays. That stand is super versatile and clamps to a computer table. I have three 32" LG 4K displays (left - center - right) with that stand that I use for X-Plane, where the left and right displays cant inwards 60 degrees. Setup was super easy with that stand.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
On the subject of stand designs, I'm really impressed with LG's ErgoStand, which comes with some of their displays. That stand is super versatile and clamps to a computer table. I have three 32" LG 4K displays (left - center - right) with that stand that I use for X-Plane, where the left and right displays cant inwards 60 degrees. Setup was super easy with that stand.
I wonder if that's compatible with any other monitors besides LG. The attachment plate looks familiar.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I wonder if that's compatible with any other monitors besides LG. The attachment plate looks familiar.

It's not VESA. It's 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 inch square plate that clicks into a recess on the back of the display - with a button to release. Easy in, easy out. Not that it matters that much. I haven't seen that used anywhere else.

Attachments

• LG Stand.jpg
    LG Stand.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 20

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm guessing Dell will release one without the forehead and camera in a few months, like they did with their 32" 4k (see pics).

That variant should go for ~$400 less. So, hypothetically, with 20% off and a 10% new member discount, maybe ($3,200 – $400) x 0.7 = $1,960. Possibly less if you wait until Black Friday.

And, with its narrow bezels, its display portion could look more modern than the ASD's—more like the XDR's. Apple's stands are still cooler; but since I run multiple monitors, I tend to notice bezel width much more than stand design. With my current 3-display setup, the side bezels are wide enough that I actually overlap them to bring the displayed portions closer together.
I'd consider buying one if they remove the forehead (well, depending on what Apple releases on the WWDC). I don't think it's a good idea to focus on the webcam for a 32" monitor either way: the top of the screen is too high, the angle you'd appear in videocalls would be all wrong.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'd consider buying one if they remove the forehead (well, depending on what Apple releases on the WWDC). I don't think it's a good idea to focus on the webcam for a 32" monitor either way: the top of the screen is too high, the angle you'd appear in videocalls would be all wrong.
The Dell 6K is absolutely hideous. My 21.5-inch LG UltraFine looks like a plastic-y retro monitor from two decades ago, but the front bezel is black and uniform, and doesn't have a forehead unlike its 27-inch big brother. Since I'm focusing on the screen, everything else melds into the background. I don't need my computer gear to look like art; I simply want it to do its job and get out of the way. I don't actually need the webcam, so having it stick out so obnoxiously on the Dell would seriously make me reconsider it, on top of the asymmetrical bezels. However, considering the price, it may be worth it over the Apple Studio Display, assuming it can be had for a decent discount. This Dell clearly has a pricing advantage over the XDR, but that's about it. I went with the LG UltraFine, mainly because of value, getting it for half the original MSRP, but it doesn't feature a gigantic knob at the top, which looks like an unsightly organic growth, rather than a feature. Dell's industrial design has never been the best, and this is a fine example of that.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Here's the first review of the Samsung Viewfinity S9 27-inch 5K.

The reviewer clarified that he expects the V9 to come in around $1,350 USD. He wasn't comparing the price to the base model Apple Studio Display.

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
Here's the first review of the Samsung Viewfinity S9 27-inch 5K.

The reviewer clarified that he expects the V9 to come in around $1,350 USD. He wasn't comparing the price to the base model Apple Studio Display.

Interesting. It looks like a nice option, but I'm glad I bought a Studio Display and didn't wait for the S9.

Studio Display does everything I care about better:
  • Laminated glass display with anti-glare coating > matte plastic. It's better for text sharpness and contrast. I would argue Studio Display's brightness and anti-glare coating combined make it better in bright environments too (I can leave my blinds open on a sunny day with Studio Display, my old matte plastic monitor would vanish behind a white bloom-like haze).
  • Perfect calibration out of the box. Even if you don't do colour work (like me), having all of your devices calibrated the same way is nice. My MacBook and iPad displays look identical to my Studio Display 👌
  • Build quality/materials. No wobble with Studio Display, and the aluminium/glass build feels worth every penny.
  • Internal power supply with SD, huge external brick with the S9.
  • High quality speakers. Studio Display kinda sounds like the OG HomePod with bass reducer enabled. It's great for music or meetings. S9 is just typical monitor quality.
  • Deep integration with macOS (e.g. brightness and volume control in Control Centre), S9 offers no integration.
  • Ports are easy to access on Studio Display (handy for yubikeys etc.), S9 places the ports in the worst position possible.
  • A total lack of any physical controls/OS to mess with. I would personally hate having to deal with Tizen every time I use my computer - just show a picture and get out of the way. Studio Display wakes instantly, I doubt the S9 will.
  • Peace of mind of AppleCare. It's more expensive, but the support level is excellent. Knowing I can just take it to an Apple Store if something goes wrong is a huge benefit.
I guess it's like a lot of Apple things. Studio Display is set and forget - it nails all the fundamentals and nothing more. S9 offers every conceivable option to try and please everyone at the expense of just being a good monitor.

The only feature I miss from S9 is the additional standard DisplayPort input. I wish Studio Display had more than one input, even just more Thunderbolt inputs. They could make the inputs switchable through Control Centre (e.g. would be nice to leave my Mac mini hooked up while I'm using it with my work MacBook or iPad).

Last edited:

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Latest Gurman rumor. Not worth a separate thread, so sticking it here, since it's another potential large-display alternative to the Studio...

"The company is also conducting early work on an iMac with a screen over 30 inches, I’m told."

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Joe Peeravas has done a followup video, specifically comparing the base model of the Apple Studio Display to the Samsung ViewFinity S9, both 27-inch 5K monitors.

I recommend watching the entire video, he states that both monitors are relatively evenly matched, with personal preference and features being the primary differentiating factors.

In favor of the Samsung model are a higher resolution camera, somewhat lower price, and a three-year warranty. If you prefer a matte finish, it comes with one, whereas Apple charges extra for the nano-texture option, which also requires a special cleaning cloth. The Samsung also has a more adjustable stand, as well as compatibility with Windows PCs.

In favor of the Apple Studio Display, it has a vastly superior speaker system, slightly better detail because of the glossy screen, and higher build quality that isn't plastic and doesn't wobble, with the Samsung suffering from a slight wobble.

Concerning warranties, at least in Thailand, the Samsung ViewFinity S9 comes with a three-year warranty, while Apple provides one-year with additional support costing extra through AppleCare+.

Notably, for me personally, he mentions that his old iMac suffered from the pink edges defect, after it was out of warranty, something that my 21.5-inch LG UltraFine is now showing signs of. So, whenever I do replace my old Intel Mac mini, I'm going to need a new monitor to go alongside it.

I highly recommend watching his comparison video:

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
So basically the Samsung is a Smart TV with some monitor capabilities. Also he glosses over things which to me (and others) are deal breakers. Like Samsung's typical cartoony color calibration. And the big benefit of the Studio when on a Mac of being "native" to the Apple ecosystem. Okay. I'm glad some people like the Samsung. I got my Studio and it is a real trooper of a display.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
So basically the Samsung is a Smart TV with some monitor capabilities. Also he glosses over things which to me (and others) are deal breakers. Like Samsung's typical cartoony color calibration. And the big benefit of the Studio when on a Mac of being "native" to the Apple ecosystem. Okay. I'm glad some people like the Samsung. I got my Studio and it is a real trooper of a display.
I'm open to any Mac compatible monitor with a ~220ppi "Retina" display. I use my monitors as dumb terminals. I don't have a use for webcams, already own dedicated computer speakers, and I only adjust the calibration when I first set the thing up, then never touch it. In the past, I've preferred a matte coating, but have adjusted my environment around the UltraFine's glossy display, so I'm undecided about that issue. For me, as long as the build quality isn't falling apart, I'm more likely to decide based upon price and perhaps screen coating, than anything else.

I don't know when I'm going to finally switch to an Apple Silicon Mac. Whenever I do, I hope that there will be suitable mini-LED or OLED "Retina" class monitors, but will at least be open to any manufacturer who offers such displays.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Samsung has announced that the 27-inch 5K ViewFinity S9 will be released in August in the United States. It will have an MSRP of $1,599.00.

As Apple Insider notes, that price point is 99 cents more than the Apple Studio Display. The Samsung model does come with a height adjustable stand and a matte coating. Those options cost extra when purchasing the Apple monitor. Samsung also features a 4K camera and more ports than the Studio Display.

At that price point, I don't see why anyone would purchase the Samsung over the Apple monitor. At least LG is smart enough to understand that their 5K offering needs to undercut Apple on price, with the 5K UltraFine currently at $1,200 on Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung lowers the price within the next year, or simply stops shipping them if they aren't getting the profit margins that they expect.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Samsung has announced that the 27-inch 5K ViewFinity S9 will be released in August in the United States. It will have an MSRP of $1,599.00.

As Apple Insider notes, that price point is 99 cents more than the Apple Studio Display. The Samsung model does come with a height adjustable stand and a matte coating. Those options cost extra when purchasing the Apple monitor. Samsung also features a 4K camera and more ports than the Studio Display.

At that price point, I don't see why anyone would purchase the Samsung over the Apple monitor. At least LG is smart enough to understand that their 5K offering needs to undercut Apple on price, with the 5K UltraFine currently at $1,200 on Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung lowers the price within the next year, or simply stops shipping them if they aren't getting the profit margins that they expect.
Yeah, the samsung seems to be getting somewhat mocked.

Top Bottom
1 2