Second booster for those over 50

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Still wearing a mask here and will continue to do so for a while until it is clear that there is no more risk of either infecting someone else or becoming infected myself. When the fourth dose/second booster becomes available here I will definitely go and get the jab. Better safe than sorry!
Exactly what I'm doing, don't want to catch it and don't want to spread it so continuing to wear the mask in social situations will be norm and I'll be first inline for the 4th shot when it becomes ready.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I had a doctor appointment last week and told the nurse that I was boosted, her response "that won't prevent you from getting COVID anyway", then I mentioned it should help mitigate symptoms and keep me out of the hospital though, right? "Well, there's a lot of questions about that". Total antivaxxer mentality and she's a health professional.

My idiot sister is the same way and she’s a nurse.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
My idiot sister is the same way and she’s a nurse.
Here in BC, all of the anti-vaxxer healthcare workers that refused to get vaccinated lost their jobs. Now that restrictions are being lifted (too soon IMHO), a number of them are suing to get their jobs back (they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding though - nuisance lawsuits).

We do still have quite a few that got vaccinated at the last minute...and share their opinions at every possible opportunity...tiresome of hearing the science deniers....I wish we had a flat earth...they could go on a 3 hour tour ;)

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Here in BC, all of the anti-vaxxer healthcare workers that refused to get vaccinated lost their jobs. Now that restrictions are being lifted (too soon IMHO), a number of them are suing to get their jobs back (they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding though - nuisance lawsuits).

We do still have quite a few that got vaccinated at the last minute...and share their opinions at every possible opportunity...tiresome of hearing the science deniers....I wish we had a flat earth...they could go on a 3 hour tour ;)

I haven’t talked to my sister in 6 years. She’s just a horrible person. Someone I don’t need in my life. My niece (her daughter) got vaccinated and she gave her hell for it. Her own damn kids. I’m not sure what she does for work or how she skated by so long without being vaccinated. But my niece just told me that she recently got vaccinated so she could do travel nursing. So it just took the right amount of pay for my sister to become vaccinated after spending the last 1.5 years harassing people, including her own children, about being vaccinated. 🙄

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I haven’t talked to my sister in 6 years. She’s just a horrible person. Someone I don’t need in my life. My niece (her daughter) got vaccinated and she gave her hell for it. Her own damn kids. I’m not sure what she does for work or how she skated by so long without being vaccinated. But my niece just told me that she recently got vaccinated so she could do travel nursing. So it just took the right amount of pay for my sister to become vaccinated after spending the last 1.5 years harassing people, including her own children, about being vaccinated. 🙄
Sad, especially when it drives family apart like that. I'm always at odds with my younger brother over this (and most politics) but I just put my foot down that if he can't control his political rants I would no longer take his calls and we've struck a balance there.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Similar. My sister kept calling me looking for me to invest in some food truck idea she had or something, and then called me, seemingly drunk, to complain that I’m somehow mean to her kids (who I don’t have any contact with, so not sure what that was about), so I blocked her number and haven’t spoken to her in a few years. I do know, from my father, that she got covid twice and has long covid symptoms, though.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if this will eventually get approved for everyone. IIRC that’s how the first round of boosters went.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Yep - I think both Pfizer and Moderna are working on combination influenza / Covid vaccinations.

Per the sister thing - seems very common. My sister and I were never close - very different people. Then she blocked me on Facebook about 5 years ago as I had the audacity to support her son as he was dealing with depression - because he's HER son - not my place! :rolleyes: Haven't talked since. (mind you, I also moved out of Onterrible and then Covid happened, so not a lot of flights "home") :)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
There's a good piece in the New York Times today about where SARS-CoV-2 may go. (Sorry, I don't know if it's behind a paywall — I have a subscription):

In sum, the authors point out that the virus has many more ways to mutate and that the lineage isn't direct. For example, Omicron didn't evolve from Delta, which makes prediction more difficult. They also note that evolution favors viruses that are more transmissible, though that has a limit. Equally, if not more concerning, are pressures to select for viruses that evade immunity from prior infection or vaccination. Ideally, new vaccines will be able to target parts of the virus that are less likely to change over time, but continued vaccination will certainly be needed.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that the FDA approved it, I went ahead and made an appointment for shot number 4 a couple weeks from now - that should give it time to get through the CDC and become official.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
Now that the FDA approved it, I went ahead and made an appointment for shot number 4 a couple weeks from now - that should give it time to get through the CDC and become official.

when reading that the FDA had approved it, my first response was to wonder if pharmacies were ready to start taking appointments for the 2nd booster

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll have to start watching at my local pharmacy; last time I was lucky, was able to just walk right in without an appointment.

I have gotten all my shots through Stanford Health, mostly because pharmacies scare me. Too many people shopping for beef jerky. :)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Actually, I had intended to go to the local CVS and then one day I was in the grocery store, which also has a pharmacy, and I thought, "hey, why not do it here? Kill two birds with one stone," and so the next time I went to the store I deliberately planned to first get the jab and then go and do my shopping. Worked a treat!

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ve said something like this before, but I strongly support cutting out relatives that suck. I see friends suffer from these relationships who simply cannot bring themselves to cut that cord. Looks awful.

Not to be off topic, but I agree. Maybe it should be another thread lol

Normalize cutting off toxic family members. I see so many people struggling and dealing with toxic family members because it's their parent or sibling. It's to the point where it affects their mental health. I always tell them NOTHING will get in the way of my mental health. If someone is bad for my mental health I cut them off, family member or not. I haven't talked to my sister in 6 years and every time I go around other relatives they try to guilt trip me into talking to her again because "that's your sister" blah blah blah. I always tell them to mind their business because they don't know how she is. They only see the fake facebook version of my sister. Now they know to not bring that topic up...but normalize cutting off toxic family members! I'm all for that!

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Back on topic, I got my booster back around Halloween. I will get another if needed. If it becomes yearly like the flu shot then I guess I will be doing it yearly like I already do with the flu.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve said something like this before, but I strongly support cutting out relatives that suck. I see friends suffer from these relationships who simply cannot bring themselves to cut that cord. Looks awful.

Not to be off topic, but I agree. Maybe it should be another thread lol

Normalize cutting off toxic family members. I see so many people struggling and dealing with toxic family members because it's their parent or sibling. It's to the point where it affects their mental health. I always tell them NOTHING will get in the way of my mental health. If someone is bad for my mental health I cut them off, family member or not. I haven't talked to my sister in 6 years and every time I go around other relatives they try to guilt trip me into talking to her again because "that's your sister" blah blah blah. I always tell them to mind their business because they don't know how she is. They only see the fake facebook version of my sister. Now they know to not bring that topic up...but normalize cutting off toxic family members! I'm all for that!
Completely agree. There’s nothing wrong with cutting out toxic people from your life. If they’re bringing you down, why hang on to that. You got to do what’s best for you.

Top Bottom
1 2