Secondary Mac laptop recommendations

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Really torn on an upcoming Mac purchase. We (Spouse and I) have a 15" 2017 MacBook Pro at home we use for our secondary laptop, and its time for a refresh. She works from home 3 days a week as IT System Admin, and use I it time from time to do some work and spreadsheets for personal use. I don't game anymore on a laptop, and prefer to stream on my phone or tablet rather than the lap warmer.

So I am torn on what to buy, and looking for advice. I am looking at a middle of the road 16" M3 Pro MacBook Pro, or high end 15" M2 MacBook Air. I feel I probably should buy the MBP over the MBA to ensure the longest tech life, but I am questioning if I really need the horse power.

Specs:
MacBook Pro
Apple M3 Pro chip with 12‑core CPU, 18‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
18GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display
$2699
Apple Care+ $399.00
$3098 + MA Sales tax

MacBook Air
Apple M2 chip with 8-core CPU, 10-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
15.3-inch Liquid Retina display with True Tone
$2099
Apple Care+ $229.00
$2328 + MA Sales tax

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
MacBook Air seems like the best choice for the use case. You won’t notice the performance difference for light work, but you will definitely feel the weight/size difference 🙂

Might be worth waiting for the M3 refresh that’s expected soon?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
MacBook Air seems like the best choice for the use case. You won’t notice the performance difference for light work, but you will definitely feel the weight/size difference 🙂

Might be worth waiting for the M3 refresh that’s expected soon?
Agreed. And while the MBP may last longer before it is obsolete, I doubt it will last $750 worth longer.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Back in 2020 I purchased a 13" M1 MBA for couch computing and travel. For casual computing, news consumption, forums, and even processing photos in Lightroom it was great. I especially liked the light weight.

After three years of use I noticed that my eyes/vision would get fatigued (that I believed) lead to headaches. I attributed that to the smallish 13" screen. Early last year I purchased an M2 16" MBP in hopes of reducing the fatigue.

I *think* the larger screen helped - but can't say for sure. However...the extra weight is very noticeable. And while not a deal killer, it does weigh on my mind every time I move it around.

If I could have a do-over today, I would probably go with a larger MBA. Either the current M2 15", or would wait for the upcoming M3-based MBA that's supposed to be available soon. Who knows... it might even have a 16" screen. If so, that would be killer. If not, 15" would be OK for me.

For my uses, I really don't need the extra performance and ports of a MBP. I have a desktop Mac for that.

Top Bottom
1 2