WiFi Access Point Recommendations?

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with Ubiquity as well. I have a 10Gbit symmetrical internet connection (I know, a massive overkill but it didn't cost extra so I just took it) running via a Dream Machine Pro router and a U6 Lite access point. Super fast internet pretty much everywhere in the apartment.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
If your house is wired already, rip out the Airports and get a UniFi system. I'm running 1 U6-Pro and 2 U6-In Walls off a UBNT PoE Switch. I also have three of their cameras. For this, you need a CloudKey.

I assume your "For this", you mean the cameras? I've just been running the Unify controller on my NAS and it doesn't seem to be causing problems in terms of resource use.

Everything is rock solid once you get it up and running correctly. I've never owned anything as reliable as this set-up. Perfect wifi coverage and speeds throughout the house. No dead spots anywhere.

Yeah, my main issue is I'm still trying to find a good spot for the second Lite so that it can reach the EVSE on the side of the house that it is on. The walls aren't exactly ideal it turns out.

I have a 10Gbit symmetrical internet connection (I know, a massive overkill but it didn't cost extra so I just took it).
Jebus.

At some point I'd like to move to a rack with all the network equipment. The guy who pulled all the Cat6 for me assumed my needs would remain simple, so it's all terminated into a wall box where the switch lives. Thankfully I can probably shorten it all to a patch panel in the same closet, but that's a whole project I've been putting off so long as the switch + router fit in the wall box.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
I assume your "For this", you mean the cameras? I've just been running the Unify controller on my NAS and it doesn't seem to be causing problems in terms of resource use.

Correct, it's for the cameras. Technically, you don't even need a controller with the APs.

Yeah, my main issue is I'm still trying to find a good spot for the second Lite so that it can reach the EVSE on the side of the house that it is on. The walls aren't exactly ideal it turns out.

Spend the extra money on the U6-Pro (4x4 on both 2.4/5ghz) or U6-LR (4x4 on 5ghz). You're going to get better coverage and throughput

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Correct, it's for the cameras. Technically, you don't even need a controller with the APs.

True, but it's handy to keep running at least in the short term while I optimize placement of the APs before the final install.

Spend the extra money on the U6-Pro (4x4 on both 2.4/5ghz) or U6-LR (4x4 on 5ghz). You're going to get better coverage and throughput

Throughput in our case is mostly between wireless onto the ethernet, and early testing is that speeds for wireless devices are fine, especially with two Gbit backhauls onto the network. In terms of coverage, only one device has a weak signal, but it's also on 2.4Ghz and very low bandwidth (EVSE). I'm still playing with a couple placement options before I decide to pull an ethernet cable to the EVSE or put an LR on that side of the house.

Top Bottom
1 2