Seriously, What Is the Real Motivator Behind Shooting Selfies?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Further to what @Clix Pix has written, I cannot envisage a time - ever - when female introverts (as teenagers) would find the world of selfies remotely rewarding, let alone interesting.

Extroverts, and narcissists, of course, are someting else entirely.

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally I was quite glad to stay behind the camera rather than being the subject of a photo. I usually prefer to make my memories in other ways than inserting myself into a photo - make a monetary/voluntary contribution, attend a concert, etc. - and I don't find taking selfies helped preserve the memories. Now that I no longer have social media accounts (other than on the forums), self-promotion is also moot (unless I post my selfies here :p).

Having said that, some people have really finessed the game of selfies. Some take the game one step further by adding some inspirational/aspirational quotes along with their selfies. I'm not sure if it's a tactic of gaining approval (likes) - by associating their selfies to some positive quotes. Some use a selfie stick - the more sophisticated might even use a drone - and perhaps might even do a livestream of themselves in choice locations.

There was an incident which I recalled with some amusement now, but was quite dumbfounded then. A few years ago an acquaintance, who liked to post selfies of himself with expensive watches in upscale settings (complemented with some inspirational quotes of course), asked to borrow some money. I had to refuse as I was thinking to myself "you should sort out your priorities". A few days later, he posted a "wefie" and photos of passport/plane tickets to the US. I dodged a bullet!

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
I admit with a feeling of guilt in my heart that I am an old fart.

Nevertheless, one tiny momentum is not taken into account.

Here, most of us belonging to the category "of not in that age" are open-minded, ready to learn, to change and absorb any novelties that appear in this world. Just take a thorough look at us: we talk and exchange views about computers, smartphones, smartwatches, chips, modern cameras and all aspects of life.

Still, we don't take selfies, we don't fall into euphoric state by TikTok, we don't feel the need to post on Facebook or Twitter how we look in a new underwear.

People differ in synthesizing life and all its manifestations, let it be modern or old.

Finally, I admit that I can't and won't leave the habit of taking real-time selfies of myself in the mirror in the morning when shaving. But it always ends when the lights go off.

Like in life there is a beginning and end to everything, but what is important at the end of the day is what happened between the origo and the exitus. Spending this time interval wisely is a privilege of the chosen ones. And they don't leave selfies and underwear photos behind on the World Wide Web.

Last edited:

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Serious question. I just do not see the appeal at all and frankly find it rather distasteful. I know what I look like, family and friends know what I look like..... What compels people to frequently, often daily share photos of themselves online on some social media platform to a broader audience? What is behind the urgings of others for someone to share selfies? Is it that they are vain, self-absorbed? Eager to try and impress others? Wanting to seem trendy? Actually, in some unfortunate situations this has turned out to be a deadly exercise as someone shooting a "selfie" in a not-so-safe location has a fatal accident and, well, no one would want to see a photo of the end result of THAT.

I'm from a different generation and I'm curious. Is this persistent and all-too prevalent "selfies" thing due to poor self-esteem? Narcissism? Something else?

One article which I pulled up at random:

Sorry, @Clix Pix, but in my mind, if this really were a "serious question" you desired to know an authentic answer to, you've spoiled the opportunity with almost the entirety of the rest of your post: distasteful, vain, self-absorbed, eager to impress others, trendy, deadly exercise, poor self-esteem, narcissism.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sorry, @Clix Pix, but in my mind, if this really were a "serious question" you desired to know an authentic answer to, you've spoiled the opportunity with almost the entirety of the rest of your post: distasteful, vain, self-absorbed, eager to impress others, trendy, deadly exercise, poor self-esteem, narcissism.

Actually, I beg to differ.

It is perfectly possible to wish to ask a question while deploring an activity yet, while still, simultaneously, - and genuinely - desiring to know (possibly out of a sense of baffled bewilderment) just exactly why people choose to engage in such an activity.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The wife & I will take a selfie when no one is around to take our pic. For example, when we hiked to the top of Clingman's Dome in Gatlinburg, we took one of us with the valley in the background. Also took one on the Skybridge.

But to take them constantly, not really into that.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Actually, I beg to differ.

It is perfectly possible to wish to ask a question while deploring an activity yet, while still, simultaneously, - and genuinely - desiring to know (possibly out of a sense of baffled bewilderment) just exactly why people choose to engage in such an activity.
I'm not disputing that, actually. I would agree. However, if I were to genuinely want to know why someone would do something, I wouldn't ask and then immediately proceed to shit on the activity. The question is spoiled by how it has been asked.

Now, if, on the other hand, Clix Pix didn't reeeeally want to know, and was just ranting, that's fine.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Never taken one. Not about to start. Like others have said, as a photographer I prefer being behind the camera rather than in front of it.
Have to get a new headshot done for work in a couple of weeks. Dreading it. Other than my wedding photos, I don’t have any shots of me that I can recall.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm not disputing that, actually. I would agree. However, if I were to genuinely want to know why someone would do something, I wouldn't ask and then immediately proceed to shit on the activity. The question is spoiled by how it has been asked.

Now, if, on the other hand, Clix Pix didn't reeeeally want to know, and was just ranting, that's fine.

Again, I would argue (or answer), sometimes, yes, but, no, not necessarily.

To a certain extent, - to my mind, at least - that depends on the activity in question.

One can deplore something yet still wonder why people may choose to engage in it.

Now, - but this is a different discussion - one can argue about whether one should actually express how much they dislike and deplore an activity when wondering why individuals choose to engage in it.

Posing a question as to why (something happened, or why something was done) need not (or ought not) demand or require an appearance of objectivity or a presumption of impartiality before the question is asked.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
SS is right. I both wondered why people are so fascinated by being able to shoot selfies of themselves and share them and also in the same post expressed my particular opinion of such activities. Is that a crime?
A crime? No, of course not. Don’t be silly.

But if one actually wants people to be open to explaining why they do the things they do, it would behoove one to not poison the well, so to speak.

Rather than opening up and sharing a part of themselves, people are more likely to shut down and avoid the conversation altogether.

You are, of course, free to carry on however you’d like…but you haven’t gotten an answer from someone who takes a lot of selfies yet, have you?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I’ll likely try to grab at least some selfies on my next vacation to send to Niece and Nephew. Unca Pumbaa at some exotic location beats pretty picture of exotic location.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm from a different generation and I'm curious. Is this persistent and all-too prevalent "selfies" thing due to poor self-esteem? Narcissism? Something else?

I think it's just about having fun, making casual snaps memorializing a visit somewhere special; the Golden Gate Bridge, Grand Canyon, Disneyland, etc. Something to share with friends. Something people who are not serious about photography do, just wanting to make some fun photos.

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Was reminded of this ‘selfie’ by Neil Armstrong as seen on the reflection off Buzz Aldrin’s visor; one of the few photos of Armstrong on the Moon. Guess he can be excused for such a historic occasion, but I wonder if one day tourists will be traipsing on the Moon and taking selfies with titanium alloy selfie sticks.

Source

A77AFADC-DFC9-4085-9E46-7A659A64F440.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2