Sony A8?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm, looking at the B&H reviews... they go back to 2019. Perhaps it's a gen 3 Cmaier and kenoh were suggesting?
In my case I was aware of gen 2, and it’s still pretty old. When you look at the leap the A7 series took in the last couple years, and the tech in the a9 and a1, there’s a lot of room for improvement for a Gen 3. CF Express, the new AI autofocus tech, much faster operation, and new menu structure come to mind.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for replying! I'm not in a hurry, and still not sure if it makes sense for me. But if I did want to get back to using a dedicated camera that would be high on my list. At this point I can wait for a gen 2.

Curious... Is there anything you don't like about it, or little nits you find annoying or frustrating?
Battery life is shocking as it is powering a full frame sensor on a battery that is crap on the 1 inch RX100 series. So plenty of spares needed. Other than that, for the way I shoot, nothing other than minor annoyances.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
In my case I was aware of gen 2, and it’s still pretty old. When you look at the leap the A7 series took in the last couple years, and the tech in the a9 and a1, there’s a lot of room for improvement for a Gen 3. CF Express, the new AI autofocus tech, much faster operation, and new menu structure come to mind.

Tracking AF is a big plus. Mine doesnt have AFc - gen 1 - and the VF is very low res compared to current standards.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Tracking AF is a big plus. Mine doesnt have AFc - gen 1 - and the VF is very low res compared to current standards.
Is it a digital VF? I know that it's all moving to digital but I really miss the mirror VF with no augmentation of my Canon DSLR, it really let you see the scene for what it is.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aww. My daughter just texted me from school.

AE30B7C4-2A9E-4053-B598-070CE61DDE6B.jpeg

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Is it a digital VF? I know that it's all moving to digital but I really miss the mirror VF with no augmentation of my Canon DSLR, it really let you see the scene for what it is.
isn’t it a mirrorless camera?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
isn’t it a mirrorless camera?
Yep. Tricky to do a light based viewfinder on those without a separate way for the light to get to the viewfinder. If you have a high enough pixel count and big enough viewfinder, you probably won’t miss it. But a lot of cameras are still not there yet.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
On mine it is a slot in VF that goes into the hot shoe. Version 2 has a pop up VF like the RX100s have

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a RX100 my Vii and also a RX100VA that is IR converted - the conversion was done by lifepixel.com

I have a few different RX100 models, but one of them needs a repair, so my daughter will have to make due with the oldest one which lacks a viewfinder. Kids don’t like viewfinders anyway :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
How does one take a photo without a VF, is it digital on the back then?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
While looking for that hot shoe vF, I realized i have a much nicer and only slightly larger camera she can use - the NEX 7.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yep. Point-and-shoot style. I think they may have made a hotshoe VF for that thing - I may even have it somewhere - but I could be misremembering.

That's the one I have. Haven't used it in so long I just checked.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am *this* close to placing an order for a Q2 (maybe reporter edition to get rid of the red dot).

Quick, someone convince me not to.

Top Bottom
1 2