Tattoos

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Have any? Opinion?

When you hear the word, do you first think of this guy?

220px-Herve_Villechaize_1977.jpg

:D

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
None. My parents hated them, but then again they were old enough to have lived in a time when only sailors and criminals had them.

Offspring has one.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
None. My parents hated them, but then again they were old enough to have lived in a time when only sailors and criminals had them.

Offspring has one.

Oh, they've definitely become way more mainstream, and I like that they've also become more culturally representative.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My opinion is that when you are young, some people manage to look stunning with them, while many continue to look underwhelming with them, but think it makes them look special. And when you get old, old tattoos look old and are a minus not a plus.

As a Navy man, I definietly thought about a tatto, never wanted to go as far as a sleeve, but it was the old grizzled tattooed sailor I saw in a Taco shop in Olongapo, Philippines, that convinced me not to. Consider this was the days before laser removal, when the only recourse was the equivalent of sand paper.

If you are going to indulge and care what I think 😜 I prefer clean icons, as a rule not shaded or overbearing, a design that accentuates, not overwhelms the body‘s form, ideally on a young, tight body. If you are overweight, you really have to be careful where to place them as to not accentuate the flab.

Last edited:

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I have one on my left bicep. A very generic screaming eagle motif. (You just chose something from the wall and…)

But that was the mid 80s, during a night out in Wanchai in Hong Kong… Ricky and Pinky’s Tattoo.

And here is the great man himself at work.
archive_scmp_a64842_12496261.jpg

Ah, good old days.

Do I regret getting one? No.
Would I get one now? No.

I think lots of people with the full blown sleeves are going to regret it. I mean, they don't look all that good even now… god knows what that's going to look like in 20…30 years. 🤔

Edit: Here's a link or two

Edit 2: I probably dodged a Hepatitis bullet there… Hygiene wasn't quite what it is these days.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have one on my left bicep. A very generic screaming eagle motif. (You just chose something from the wall and…)

But that was the mid 80s, during a night out in Wanchai in Hong Kong… Ricky and Pinky’s Tattoo.

And here is the great man himself at work.
archive_scmp_a64842_12496261.jpg

Ah, good old days.

Do I regret getting one? No.
Would I get one now? No.

I think lots of people with the full blown sleeves are going to regret it. I mean, they don't look all that good even now… god knows what that's going to look like in 20…30 years. 🤔

Edit: Here's a link or two

Edit 2: I probably dodged a Hepatitis bullet there… Hygiene wasn't quite what it is these days.
I’ll suppose that on the big patterns that they lay out a stencil, or are the good artists so good they just wing it?

My wife got talked into a tattoo while in Vegas with her girl friend. She did not want one, so had it made really small, like 1/2”, a lady bug placed on her shoulder. I’ve told her it looks like a hand grenade. No that does not make her mad. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
People can look great with them, I agree. I never got one because it feels like too much of a commitment. I'll be 52 in a few weeks and feel that the window of opportunity has passed. Most people I know have at least one.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I think of people with the full blown sleeves are going to regret it. I mean, they don't look good even now… god knows what that's going to look like in 20…30 years. 🤔
Amen.

That said: their bodies, their choices. If they are happy with their sleeves now, good for them. I believe I can interact with them just the same, no matter if they have great tattoos, ugly tattoos, or no tattoos.

Now, on the other hand, a criminal gang symbol, a Nazi swastika, or something like that would be … problematic.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
People can look great with them, I agree. I never got one because it feels like too much of a commitment. I'll be 52 in a few weeks and feel that the window of opportunity has passed. Most people I know have at least one.

Sounds like a good 52nd birthday present to yourself :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That said: their bodies, their choices.

Yeah, my perspective is: you do it, just be aware of the potential impact. Like for your occupation, is it going to be problematic? In some industries, no, in others, maybe (it may be an impasse, for example an admin assistance in a legal office with lots of tattoos on their neck and/or hands).

Some people have a lot of ink, but it covers up easily with regular clothes :)

I will say, it's good to see that there's less concern over a tattoo than there is actual capability and performance. I remember sitting with investors, tech people and lawyers in SF, there were no ties, no suits, and lots of tattoos :LOL:

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I have a variation of my avatar on my side just below my ribcage. The avatar has been with me for nearly 20 years and combines two things I love dearly and have multiple hooks connecting various points and people in my life.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have three.... Two "Geek" tattoos, and one half-sleeve I got later in my life.

My rule for myself and advice I have given to my kid is, don't have a tattoo where you cannot cover up with an article of clothing. Depending on your career, you could shorten it. My oldest daughter currently has 4, but as a nurse she has thanked me for my advice.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It is possibly a generational thing, but I don't care for tattoos.

Now, in general, I don't have a problem with women wearing tattoos, they can be a powerful and personal testimony, and sometimes, it is also an act of rebellion against what can be stifling societal norms as applied to women, but, they are not for me.

However, I would not be comfortable with a guy with tattoos.

For reasons of the context of tattoos (many see it in terms of an individual choice, often undertaken when young and/or intoxicated) but, certainly among the men I have seen who were heavily tattooed, many had military backgrounds, and still worked in the security area, whereas others that I have read about include outfits such as Hell's Angels', or - for example, Russian criminal or prison gangs.

Groups that bond over violence (licensed or not), very often with right wing and profoundly misogynistic attitudes as well, do nothing for me, I must admit, and, in any relationship that was not strictly professional, I would give them a wide berth.

Maori culture is a different story, where the tattoos are part of a specific cultural & ethnic identity.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
It is possibly a generational thing, but I don't care for tattoos.

Now, in general, I don't have a problem with women wearing tattoos, they can be a powerful and personal testimony, and sometimes, it is also an act of rebellion against what can be stifling societal norms as applied to women, but, they are not for me.

However, I would not be comfortable with a guy with tattoos.

For reasons of the context of tattoos (many see it in terms of an individual choice, often undertaken when young and/or intoxicated) but, certainly among the men I have seen who were heavily tattooed, many had military backgrounds, and still worked in the security area, whereas others that I have read about include outfits such as Hell's Angels', or - for example, Russian criminal or prison gangs.

Groups that bond over violence (licensed or not), very often with right wing and profoundly misogynistic attitudes as well, do nothing for me, I must admit, and, in any relationship that was not strictly professional, I would give them a wide berth.

Maori culture is a different story, where the tattoos are part of a specific cultural & ethnic identity.
I agree with you that tattoos are not for everyone. I cannot tell you why, but when I look at some women or men for that matter, I find that some who are heavily tattooed are a turn-off and others I find attractive (pleasing to the eye). Its weird and probably just a personal taste issue with me. I will also freely admit that there is a segment of those with tattoos to represent the worst of us, but just like individuals of a group, not all or even a large percentage represent that side. I personally think that a tattoo represents that individual's personality. So if they are a racist or a misogynistic, then that is probably what they will put on their body. Maybe that explains why I find some of them attractive and others not. 🤷‍♂️

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Context is important, too.

I mentioned prison gangs and biker gangs (and the military) to put male tattoos into a wider context, one that is not solely a matter of individual choice, but of a specifically culturally informed individual choice.

And, yes, I know there is also the traditional seafaring heritage of the UK, so foetn represented by tattoos - I'm from that corner or north west Europe myself - but, in my personal experience, guys who are tattooed tend to have come from military (or seafaring) backgrounds, aren't especially well educated, and a great many of them - in my experience - hold rather right wing views on matters such as race (and women). Now, they are excellent and exceptionally experienced in adjudicating on security matters.

As a woman, I note this; in my professional life, I have to develop a good working relationship with some of these guys - and I do - but the relationship is professional, never personal.

Perhaps it is a generational thing, for I'm middle-aged and these days - well, pre-Covid - I work (or worked) mostly internationally, and, since I left the proverbial groves of academe, I no longer have any encounters with young people, least of all young hipsters, for whom tattoos may be trendy.

However, in the context of tattoos worn by men I have worked with (they were mostly in the security business and were ex-military) - male bonding, and an occasional culture where male violence or the capacity for male violence - was - at the very least respected, if not encouraged - allied to the expression of right wing views on women and race and the fact that these were not usually all that well educated, and not especially articulate, (for, in practice, men who are heavily tattooed from military backgrounds tended not to have been officers but had been enlisted men).

Taken together, not an especially alluring or attractive prospect.

And, actually, while I applaud tattoos on women, (though it is not something that I, personally, would contemplate), personally, I find them profoundly unattractive - actually, something of a red flag - on men.

But, each to their own.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
For me, tattoos are not something I've ever wanted to add to my body since I've already had a lot of experience early-on in life with changes being made (reconstructive surgeries due to Treacher Collins Syndrome) and I have never had any interest in adding something else where someone else (a tattoo artist) would be making another (more-or-less permanent) change to my body, even if it is something, an image, a symbol or other artistry, something pretty, something small or something large, which would be meaningful to me, even if to no one else. That aside, I just don't want any more needles than the ones I've already experienced from early childhood on.... Necessary needles for medical reasons, fine, I deal with that. Something which is wholly voluntary and not really necessary for me I'll just skip, thanks.

That said, I think it is neat when someone wants a tattoo or two placed to represent something really significant and meaningful to them, and I can sort of understand and see why many people do this. I will admit that when it comes to someone doing a full sleeve or in some cases much more than that I am not quite so sure that I get the motivation behind this, nor do I need to, but I do appreciate the sometimes really beautiful artwork that some tattoo artists have created. It is really amazing what they can do with artistry, inks and colors applied to human skin.....

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Never been a fan.

The human body is a marvelous design. Putting a visible tattoo on it, to me, breaks the flow of that design. It's like doodling on the frame of your iMac, putting a bumper sticker on your Lamborghini, or drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

U

User.45

For me, tattoos are not something I've ever wanted to add to my body since I've already had a lot of experience early-on in life with changes being made (reconstructive surgeries due to Treacher Collins Syndrome) and I have never had any interest in adding something else where someone else (a tattoo artist) would be making another (more-or-less permanent) change to my body, even if it is something, an image, a symbol or other artistry, something pretty, something small or something large, which would be meaningful to me, even if to no one else. That aside, I just don't want any more needles than the ones I've already experienced from early childhood on.... Necessary needles for medical reasons, fine, I deal with that. Something which is wholly voluntary and not really necessary for me I'll just skip, thanks.

That said, I think it is neat when someone wants a tattoo or two placed to represent something really significant and meaningful to them, and I can sort of understand and see why many people do this. I will admit that when it comes to someone doing a full sleeve or in some cases much more than that I am not quite so sure that I get the motivation behind this, nor do I need to, but I do appreciate the sometimes really beautiful artwork that some tattoo artists have created. It is really amazing what they can do with artistry, inks and colors applied to human skin.....
I've had patients who got it as a reminder to help them cope. That I find neat. Like this guy had a really rare genetic disease and had a tattoo of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbs pissing on the disease. I found it amusing and was a great conversation starter and through the tattoo you got to laugh with this person about something that was obviously causing a lot of misery for them.

But yeah, I always wanted a cool tattoo, never got it, and 5 years later I remembered and I didn't think the thing was cool anymore. And this happened at least 3 times already.

Young women getting thigh tattoos always crack me up. That's the sign of an optimist. Pregnancy also changes how those sexy flank tattoos can look... Yet again, I envy people who find symbols they can still adore 5, 10, 20 years later.

Top Bottom
1 2