The "Wordle" thread

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I have a couple of words that I use, one which is all consonants and the other which is primarily vowels, and then another word which picks up some of the other letters that the first two don't include. This strategy usually works but then I get tripped up from time to time, especially when there are no available letters in the first two lines.

D

Deleted member 215

I've failed only twice. Once with ULCER and once with WATCH. WATCH was an obvious failure of strategy. Once I guessed LATCH and realized it was an -atch word, I didn't think just how many words end in -atch in English and I guessed several that were all wrong and I didn't get the answer. The second time I realized there could be many possible solutions, with FOUND, I made sure to guess a word that would rule out several -ound words before I just ran through sound, hound, pound, wound, mound, bound, etc.

ULCER was just a weird word that I wasn't thinking of and I don't think I ever would've gotten it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I paid really close attention to the yellows I was getting and made sure not to waste any guesses:

Wordle 290 3/6

⬛🟨🟨🟨⬛
🟨🟩🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was flailing at first today, but when I decided to put the yellow hit from line 3 last, it got a lot simpler!

Wordle 290 4/6

🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟨🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I've lately started with some word that has most of the vowels in it, then a second word with the rest of the vowels and some different consonants (which latter may overlap sometimes w/ those in 1st word) Of course my approach doesn't immediately help with stuff like a repeated letter in the word of the day, but it does give me some guaranteed traction in knowing the overall set of vowels that are present.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
It's those darned repeated letters that have tripped me up, time and time again! I just don't always think of that as a possibility. Once in a while the light does dawn and I try, only to be pleasantly surprised that the gamble paid off. Today I was just off my game all the way around and it didn't help that the word isn't exactly one used in everyday conversation. Bah! Irritated with Wordle right now but I know darned well that tomorrow I'll be playing it again, eager to see if I can land on the correct word....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Mine could've easily gone 5/6, this is one of those times there's some luck involved, since there were a couple of solves.

Wordle 291 4/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟨⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

@Edd

Did you guess COBRA before COMMA? I was a coin toss between the two ...

D

Deleted member 215

After the third guess I sat and stared for like 15 minutes, and then I got it.

Wordle 291 4/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Getting the letters in the first place really does make a difference, doesn't it?

I hate it when I pretty much strike out on consonants in the first two rows. End up staring at the virtual keyboard they provide, pondering what's left and what I can do with that info plus the vowels I rounded up that might not be in the right slots.

I'm impressed with the game's design though. I had no idea that one could actually arrive at a five-letter English word pretty regularly inside of six guesses, with the only hints being whether one has guessed a letter and if it's in the right slot.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Made a good start in the first line.
Bingo I thought… then I made a list of possibilities. 😱

Very, very lucky.

Wordle 293 3/6

⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Beware!